PDA

View Full Version : Last Hindenburg Survivor Dies

togor
11-17-2019, 01:25
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/16/us/werner-doehner-dead-hindenburg-disaster.html

Article erroneously blames a hydrogen leak, repeating the mistake.

lyman
11-17-2019, 02:45
link wants me to log in or subscribe to read

jon_norstog
11-17-2019, 09:47
I was working on an outreach project for the Pinelands Commission in New Jersey. It mainly involved going out, knocking on doors and talking to the people who lived there, about what they would like to see in the way of "protection"f the Pine Barrens. the team leader told me he had interviewed a woman near Lakehurst who told him that her father and uncle were out hunting waterfowl in the area and saw the Hindenburg coming in for a landing. They didn't think much of Nazi Germany so they just emptied the magazines of their duck guns at that big swastika. When they came home it was all over the radio. They told their family what they had done and swore them to secrecy.

The lady told JB, "I have never told this to a soul, but everyone is gone now, and my time is coming pretty soon. It was dad and my uncle shot down that thing..."

jn

free1954
11-23-2019, 05:59
I was working on an outreach project for the Pinelands Commission in New Jersey. It mainly involved going out, knocking on doors and talking to the people who lived there, about what they would like to see in the way of "protection"f the Pine Barrens. the team leader told me he had interviewed a woman near Lakehurst who told him that her father and uncle were out hunting waterfowl in the area and saw the Hindenburg coming in for a landing. They didn't think much of Nazi Germany so they just emptied the magazines of their duck guns at that big swastika. When they came home it was all over the radio. They told their family what they had done and swore them to secrecy.

The lady told JB, "I have never told this to a soul, but everyone is gone now, and my time is coming pretty soon. It was dad and my uncle shot down that thing..."

jn

that sir is an interesting story. wouldn't it be something if it turned out to be true.

rayg
11-24-2019, 04:34
They would have had to be real close to it for any shot gun pellets to do any damage/penetrate the outer skin wouldn't you think?

lyman
11-24-2019, 06:21
They would have had to be real close to it for any shot gun pellets to do any damage/penetrate the outer skin wouldn't you think?

depending on the shot load, (Goose would not be using buckshot,, , maybe BB or equivalent?? not sure not a goose hunter) anything over 100yrds would likely bounce off,
maybe closer

Martinsen
11-25-2019, 06:53
depending on the which of these awesome insulated hunting boots you use (https://www.villagevoice.com/best-insulated-hunting-boots/) and shot load, (Goose would not be using buckshot,, , maybe BB or equivalent?? not sure not a goose hunter) anything over 100yrds would likely bounce off,
maybe closer

What was the most common shot load they had?