PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for tightening the "pattern"...

jjrothWA
11-26-2019, 12:46
of a Rem Model 742, from buckshot size @ 200 to a smaller group???

1-10 inch twist, using Hornady 165 polytip spire point.

Any way to keep the fore-end tighter on the firearm>

Thanks.

Sunray
11-27-2019, 10:59
Define "buckshot size". What calibre and load? How old is the M742? What sights? Have you done a trigger job?
Have you tried any other bullet?
The barrel was floated in the factory. The fore end is held on with just 1, high priced, screw(they start at $6.75 at Gunparts). Have you tightened it?
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/rifles-rem/742

barretcreek
11-30-2019, 02:53
Disassemble and clean the whole thing; especially the chamber. Rebuild the gas system with a new spring and consumable parts. Dirty chambers and gas systems are their major problems. Disclaimer-I have a 760 and am allergic to the 742 but they can be accurate.

Sunray
12-03-2019, 10:14
The gas system has nothing to do with accuracy. Does have to do with cycling.
We still need to know the definition of "buckshot size". The thing is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. A consistent 2 or 3 inches at 100 is good enough.

lyman
12-03-2019, 12:09
Disassemble and clean the whole thing; especially the chamber. Rebuild the gas system with a new spring and consumable parts. Dirty chambers and gas systems are their major problems. Disclaimer-I have a 760 and am allergic to the 742 but they can be accurate.

this is the biggest issue with them

they apparently must be kept clean and lubed,

I know a local gunsmith hates them, but he makes a pile of coin fixing them each year

Art
12-27-2019, 11:29
What caliber?

You're looking at a semi automatic sporter and sunray is right about expected accuracy, some will be a bit better and some a bit worse. This was not designed to be a long range rifle. If you can hit a grapefruit with a good scope at 200 yards you're good to go with one of these. Speaking of 'scope, have you checked the mount for your sight for tightness?