PDA

View Full Version : As Long As We're Asking Questions of the Canucks

togor
11-29-2019, 02:20
Anyone in the Great White North going to miss Don Cherry? It can be said that the PC police finally caught up with him, but also true that he's behind the curve on head trauma from fighting and just general on-ice goon style of play.

Mark in Ottawa
11-29-2019, 04:21
People have very mixed feelings about him. He reflects a totally non politically correct view of the world - one that a lot of people share but won't admit too. He is however, somewhat crude about how he says things. The issue that brought him to grief was his comment that new immigrants were not wearing poppies to show respect for the soldiers that were killed in WWI and WWII. He referred to them as "you people". He may or may not have been correct since the reality is that sales of poppies were down from 20 years ago but this was not just new immigrants; it was everybody. Had he said that Canadians were not buying poppies the way they used to then this would have been an acceptable factual statement and nobody would have objected. I don't follow hockey but I gather that a lot of people feel that the very aggressve and dangerous style of hockey that he likes is now out of favor and a lot of people are unhappy with him for promoting that style of play

Sunray
11-30-2019, 10:31
I've never understood why anybody listens to hockey pucks in the first place. However, as I recall, wearing a poppy is mostly a Canadian and Brit thing. The Royal British Legion and the Canadian Legion use 'em for fund raising to aid vets.
They're not worn Stateside. McCrae's “In Flanders Fields” isn't memorized there either.
Cherry is lucky is was the PC Police and not the Fashion Police that got him. snicker.
"...aggressive and dangerous style of hockey..." Hockey is a violent children's game. Cherry advocated that fighting was part of the game. Likely why he hasn't been a coach since 1980.

barretcreek
11-30-2019, 02:45
Sunray, we do wear poppies out here in Flyover Country.