PDA

View Full Version : Krag Round Oiler

thorin6
12-05-2019, 01:23
Does anyone know how rare these are?

free1954
12-05-2019, 02:10
they are not common, or easy to find .i've never seen one for sale.

butlersrangers
12-05-2019, 09:00
Extremely rare .... I've only ever seen one for sale and it was missing its cap and applicator.

Dick Hosmer
12-05-2019, 11:49
Basically unheard of these days. Have never (knowingly) seen one in person. Old story, which may or may not be true, is that a LOT of them wound up being used with sewing machines. Unfortunately, they are not marked, so you'd have to know exactly what you are looking for.

Kragrifle
12-06-2019, 05:35
Here is what they look like. I am aware of the one for sale about 10 years ago that was dented and missing the cap/applicator. One changed hands at the Baltimore show about 5 years ago,468074680846809

Kragrifle
12-06-2019, 05:38

thorin6
12-06-2019, 07:43
I used the pictures over on the Krag Collectors Association to verify the oiler before I bought it off ebay. It was advertised as a flask from a veteran of the 31st Infantry Division from WW2. I've never seen one in the flesh until this. Still has oil in it. Someone scratched the number 66 in Roman Numerals (LXVI) on one side, but other than a small dent on the other side, it's in very good condition.

Dick Hosmer
12-06-2019, 10:08
Great pics, great find - congratulations!

Kragrifle
12-06-2019, 06:03
Wow

free1954
12-06-2019, 10:33
nice. were these issued with any particular model or year?

Kragrifle
12-07-2019, 07:13

This is from Mallory’s book. One wonders where all those oilers ended up. Most likely in the same hole where they buried all those early Krag rifle cleaning rods!

free1954
12-07-2019, 08:23

This is from Mallory’s book. One wonders where all those oilers ended up. Most likely in the same hole where they buried all those early Krag rifle cleaning rods!

maybe bannerman got them. thanks for the reply.

thorin6
12-08-2019, 07:57
Finding one on ebay shows that they are out there, although no one knows where.
Although I don't intend to sell mine (like everyone else that has collected Krags at one time or another this has been on my want list for a long time), would any care to venture a value? Like a lot of things, rarity doesn't necessarily equal high value. I've had a discussion with a dedicated Krag collector and we sort of settle on $300-400, but then we didn't have one in front of us.

Dick Hosmer
12-08-2019, 08:59
I wouldn't disagree with that valuation. For most people (I believe) while accessories are "nice", the ARMS are the thing. And, at this point in my life (collecting AND physical) I don't think I'd pay that much if I found one - I'm at the "if I cannot flat out STEAL it, I'll do without" phase.

thorin6
12-08-2019, 05:43
I wouldn't disagree with that valuation. For most people (I believe) while accessories are "nice", the ARMS are the thing. And, at this point in my life (collecting AND physical) I don't think I'd pay that much if I found one - I'm at the "if I cannot flat out STEAL it, I'll do without" phase.
Thanks Dick, I would agree with that statement as I wouldn't pay that much (and as an aside, didn't) for a pocket oiler. On the other hand, it's nice to have one.
One other thing, I noted the seller's comment that the oiler came from a Veteran's estate, and it appears he was in the 31st Infantry Division. One of their campaigns was in the Philippines, and I'm wondering if most of these pocket oilers (based upon the exert posted in this thread) went to the Philippines for use during the Philippine Insurrection. If I remember right we were fighting there until 1902, and after than fought the Moros in the southern Philippines. It may just be that most of the oilers didn't come back from that theater, and that the Veteran picked this up while in the Philippines in WW2. Just a theory, nothing much more to go on.

butlersrangers
12-08-2019, 08:27
IIRC - The (watch-size) "Pocket Oilers" are mentioned in one of 'The Chief of Ordnance - Annual Reports'. The need for more oil became apparent during tropical campaigns.

The 'Brophy page' above, says they were intended to be carried by Sergeants and contained Sperm Whale Oil.

The very common Krag 'cartridge-size' Oil-Bottle was carried in altered rifle & carbine butt-traps. For Krags lacking a butt-trap, it was carried in a Mill's Belt cartridge loop.
These smaller capacity oil-bottles were described, in 'Annual Reports', as containing cosmoline-oil.

sdkrag
12-10-2019, 11:00
Only one I ever held in the flesh was in Bill Mook's collection. Great catch.

Kragrifle
12-11-2019, 05:25
If you find one for $500, buy it.

jon_norstog
12-13-2019, 07:29
What C W Post said in his book was that there was no oil or grease available in Cuba. The soldiers used salt pork fat to grease down their weapons. Kept the rain off but the salt in that grease did its job. A lot of those weapons went to the arsenal for a refurb after the men came back. I'd bet a lot of the damage was due to not having oil for them..

jn

Dan Shapiro
12-18-2019, 02:25
Just an observation re: oil and grease in tropical climates.................the more things change, the more they stay the same.

During the onset of WWII in the Pacific, troops had problems with the M1 freezing up after a heavy rain. The establishment conclusion was to find a way to keep the right bolt lug oiled. They were talking about drilling a hole in the rear of the bolt and packing it with lint. The lint would then be soaked in oil. John Garand's solution was "Why don't you just use grease?"

Fast forward to Vietnam and the M16............and the development of LSA.

Kragrifle
12-19-2019, 07:56
LSA?

70ish
12-20-2019, 01:43
"LSA Weapons Oil US Made Genuine GI Army Military Gun Rifle Pistol Firearm Lubricant Protectant". Description is from Amazon. Doesn't say what it's made from, but the bottle says "Shake before using". Seems odd for a lubricant. But then, this is supposed to be for use as a rust preventative, too.

lyman
12-27-2019, 04:55
"LSA Weapons Oil US Made Genuine GI Army Military Gun Rifle Pistol Firearm Lubricant Protectant". Description is from Amazon. Doesn't say what it's made from, but the bottle says "Shake before using". Seems odd for a lubricant. But then, this is supposed to be for use as a rust preventative, too.

LSA separates over time,

white goo on the bottom, thin oil on the top