PDA

View Full Version : For sale: Very nice M1a1 carbine

mitchell6776
12-31-2019, 06:10
Photos can be viewed at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icz7vp1o7py8ikf/AAC65qXU9dP1K-I_j7MBStVIa?dl=0

Inland M1a1 carbine, end of production in late 1944. This is a text book example of a very late inland M1a1 carbine. Serial number is in the 6.6 million range with a 12-44 barrel. The barrel is proofed in front of the type III band. All late 44 inland parts. It retains the push button safety. The stock is correctly marked RI3 on the bottom of the grip with a crossed cannon cartouche on the side. There are no rebuild marks or P proof on the stock, as is correct. No M2 selector cut out. The leather is original and in good shape. Steel rivets are present on the cheek piece. There is minor wear to the blued bolt from cycling, and there is a little wear at the muzzle. Otherwise the original finish is intact with minimal finish loss. There is an example of a similar carbine in this configuration referenced in Larson's M1 carbine guide. Please contact me for any additional photos or information. Asking $2600.00. Offers entertained.

Kragrifle
01-04-2020, 06:00
Email better photos?
Thanks
kragrifle@suddenlink.net

Tuna
01-12-2020, 07:22
Please don't use Larson's book. He sells fake parts and uses pictures of them in his book giving the impression they are real. Your M1A1 is a put together with the M1A1 stock and a later carbine. M1A1 production ended in December 1944 in the 6.5 million range. Your serial number would be January or February 1945. Still a nice combination as many have been rebuilt with different carbine markers too.

mitchell6776
01-18-2020, 04:11
OK.... Willing to listen as I didn't know Larson' book had this reputation, if true. Please enlighten me as to how you are so confident this is a put together rifle? I have seen late M1a1s sold just like this on very reputable dealer websites in the past. The serial number and barrel date are consistent, and the stock is not humped together. It is not a hand stamped receiver, and we all know they were not assembled in sequence. So basically you are implying someone took an original late inland M1 and put it in an original late M1a1 stock..It might also be more courteous in the future to email me directly with your concerns, rather than post your negative opinion about something I am trying to sell...

This is problem with these forums and why I generally avoid them. Everyone is an expert, and the experts often can't agree on anything...

Gun Smoke
01-18-2020, 04:28
Most of these original M1A1's ARE pieced together. I think Tuna was being very polite and professional with his volunteered info.

He merely stated that your barreled action was made after the end of the actual M1A1 production indicating that your weapon was not produced as you own it now.

Tuna is the carbine guru here and I put faith in his replies. His isn't stating your gun is worthless but it may bring less money than one with the correct receiver/barrel/parts and stock date wise. People who would spend $2600 for a carbine probably either know this already or will research it themselves. Better you know in advance.

Good luck with your sale regardless.

rayg
01-19-2020, 05:43
There's no problem with forums like this as you say, as they are the best way to find out about a gun before you sell it
Nobody wants to hear negative things about a gun they are trying to sell. But it is better to know before you sell it and not afterwards when it's sent back to you as not being correct.
Tuna's the best... Ray

lyman
01-19-2020, 06:29
OK.... Willing to listen as I didn't know Larson' book had this reputation, if true. Please enlighten me as to how you are so confident this is a put together rifle? I have seen late M1a1s sold just like this on very reputable dealer websites in the past. The serial number and barrel date are consistent, and the stock is not humped together. It is not a hand stamped receiver, and we all know they were not assembled in sequence. So basically you are implying someone took an original late inland M1 and put it in an original late M1a1 stock..It might also be more courteous in the future to email me directly with your concerns, rather than post your negative opinion about something I am trying to sell...

This is problem with these forums and why I generally avoid them. Everyone is an expert, and the experts often can't agree on anything...

I'm not an Expert on Carbines, (my OCD is not that bad:icon_lol:)

however a few things,

#1, Tuna is very very knowledgeable on the subject, and I've not seen a post by him on the subject that was out of line, (he posts on other forums too, BTW)

#2, if you did a simple search, you may find where some of us have sold some similar carbines in the past few years, and posted those sales numbers and the region,

#3, I can only see about 10 pics in the drop box link, are there more? I would suggest a couple overall shots, and some better detail on the photos, preferably taken in natural sunlight with a more neutral background (sunlight shows the true color, and if taken in some shade, less shadows, )

and BTW, your price is about right (since I sold a rebuilt IBM in a M1A1 stock last year for just a tad more)

Tuna
01-20-2020, 04:41
Mitchell I am sorry if I offended you. I do get upset when people try to sell something that is not quite what it should be and react to it. Most times people do it unknowingly and other times they do know what they are doing. I have in the past with PM's tried to inform someone about what they are selling is not right and have had nothing but grief from them. Oh and hand stamped receivers didn't start till Inland was well into February 1945 with their M2 production. But again I am sorry for upsetting you as it was not my intention.

mitchell6776
01-20-2020, 06:56
Upset is not the word I would use. The "I'm right and the reference books are wrong" statements can be a little flummoxing. I understand you are trying to help, and appreciate our response.