PDA

View Full Version : Need PC Help

tmark
01-15-2020, 07:22
I have a new pc with windows 10. I have floppy discs containing pictures that use to work on old pc.

When I put the disc into the pc slot, no pictures show up on the monitor screen. How do I get these floppies to show up on my screen?

PWC
01-15-2020, 09:35
Check the extensions (.xxx) of the files. I had old milti-mate files I had to change to .doc. Some old .xls 97 files had to be changed to the new new extension.

Best bet is to find someone with the old operating system.

JohnMOhio
01-15-2020, 10:10
Some computer shops have a service that they transfer from old floppies to the new current disc's we use today. They also can take your old 35 mm slides and place them on disc's. Check with one of them.

Major Tom
01-16-2020, 03:45
No joke! When I have an issue with ANY of my electronic stuff; I go to my 12 year old grandson for help.

Gun Smoke
01-16-2020, 04:12
Win 10 sucks. I went back to win 7.

lyman
01-16-2020, 05:11
you found a new computer that will take Disc?

wow!

if you old one still works, maybe load the discs and transfer them to a thumb drive?

Sunray
01-16-2020, 10:29
"...went back to win 7..." Lotta people never made the change. Downside is that St. Bill's minions just announced the end of support for Win 7. Dunno if they got all the bugs out of 10.
Anyway, a lot will depend on the program used to create the pictures. Sounds like it's not compatible with Win 10. Mind you, the file format used by 10 is NTFS. 3.5" floppies should work with that though.
Have a look at this too.
https://libguides.mit.edu/digmediatransfer/35floppy
"...transfer from old floppies to..." Geezuz! Don't pay for that. Costs a fortune. One guy wants $17 EACH for up to 10 floppies. It's just cutting and pasting files. Or Select all and Send To with a right click on the mouse.

Gun Smoke
01-16-2020, 10:55
"...went back to win 7..." Lotta people never made the change. Downside is that St. Bill's minions just announced the end of support for Win 7. Dunno if they got all the bugs out of 10.

Old computer was sick. Bought new one that was Win 10. Didn't like it so I bought a Win 7 operating system to change the 10 to a 7. Meanwhile I got the sick (Win 7) computer repaired.

When Microsoft comes out with a "new and improved" system they often make many of the programs and functions of the older series obsolete where people are forced to buy the new junk with the built in spyware and spam functions that can't be blocked.

Major Tom
01-17-2020, 06:43
Microsoft is just like Apple. They come out with new stuff every year and filled with issues.

dryheat
01-17-2020, 07:44
Ten is supposed to be the improved 8. Eight was so bad they skipped nine just to put more distance between them. It took me about a week to get used to ten and I really missed seven but now I'm so used to it I can't remember what it was about it I didn't like.

Sometimes I still miss 7

Sunray
01-17-2020, 10:27
She doesn't look like that now. snicker.
"...Microsoft comes out with..." St Bill's Minions have released stuff before it actually worked for years. Some of it, like ME, never did work.

oscars
01-18-2020, 05:28
What infuriates me about Microsoft's attitude is the total tone deafness to the fact that most of us use PC's to do some chore. I could give a flip about the supposed advantages of each new iteration of Windows. I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 which I found marginally better than XP. Office 2003 is far more useful than 2007 that I have loaded on my present laptop.

I resent having to spend 500+ on a new laptop and learn a new operating system to do the mundane things that i use ny laptop for

Cosine26
01-18-2020, 09:46
I too do not like Windows 10 but I have learned to live with it. I have a relatively new HP desktop loaded with Windows 10 and ordered it specifically because it had a disk drive I just tried one of my picture discs and all of the pictures opened OK. I can also read and write CD's.
I also have an HP that is running Windows 7 and find it much easier to use.
My first HP came with Windows ME ad I had no problems with it.
I believe that the trouble with Windows 10 is that Microsoft tried to make it all things for all devices. I bought a book on Windows 10 and find that Windows 10 does not always operate the way it is supposed to. If all Microsoft products worked perfectly or were not regularly upgraded many people would be out of a job. Some one once told me that "there are changes and improvements and then there are changes".

FWIW

Sunray
01-18-2020, 10:30
Got to thinking(yes it hurts). Is the software you used to make the pictures on the new machine? That will cause picture files to not open.