PDA

View Full Version : Cabin update

S.A. Boggs
01-28-2020, 08:44
Much has happened in the last year, some good and not so good. Got the walkway completely covered with a roof and see thru walls. This keeps snow from gathering on it as well as ice. The wood stoves that I installed are not doing the job, apparently too small for the area needed to heat. They are rated for 2,000 square feet and at 500 degrees full run not enough heat generated. My Amish friend Isaac told me of a stove manufacture in the next county that the Amish use. He showed me the wood cook stove/water heated that they use and it is nice. Told the wife about it and she wants one for winter use in the new kitchen. Price is quite reasonable too and his family has used theirs for the last ten years with little problem.
Have had unexpected problems develop with the Sollax roof in the green house. First all has been the problem of condensation, Isaac and I are going to install plastic transparent panels inside across the beams to create a sealed area. This should create a buffer to prevent the condensation from the plants. The other thing is the tremendous heat that is generated in the warm months. I had hoped that leaving the windows open and the use of a large vent fan would do the trick, no luck. I installed the largest vent possible for my wall and the inside temp still ran between 100 and 110. Isaac suggested covering the greenhouse roof with a silver reflective tarp in the warm months. I can install hooks for the tarp to attach too and not be blown off. Many of my plants I can move outdoors when we do this, will use solar powered grow lights for those we can't.
We are using our tax return to go solar at last. Isaac and his brother John removed the 40 foot pine trees that shaded the roof where I will be placing the solar panels. @ first want to power the lights on the new construction, more batteries/panels will give us more power to do things. Instead of an electric hot water heater I am going to an on demand propane one instead.
I am open to any new ideas.
Sam

Major Tom
02-05-2020, 10:57
Wish you well in your endevours Sam. Sounds like you are keeping busy.

S.A. Boggs
02-06-2020, 03:48
It does keep one busy and out of mischief.:eusa_shhh::icon_rolleyes::eusa_whistle:
Sam

Sandpebble
02-12-2020, 02:27
Much has happened in the last year, some good and not so good. Got the walkway completely covered with a roof and see thru walls. This keeps snow from gathering on it as well as ice. The wood stoves that I installed are not doing the job, apparently too small for the area needed to heat. They are rated for 2,000 square feet and at 500 degrees full run not enough heat generated. My Amish friend Isaac told me of a stove manufacture in the next county that the Amish use. He showed me the wood cook stove/water heated that they use and it is nice. Told the wife about it and she wants one for winter use in the new kitchen. Price is quite reasonable too and his family has used theirs for the last ten years with little problem.
Have had unexpected problems develop with the Sollax roof in the green house. First all has been the problem of condensation, Isaac and I are going to install plastic transparent panels inside across the beams to create a sealed area. This should create a buffer to prevent the condensation from the plants. The other thing is the tremendous heat that is generated in the warm months. I had hoped that leaving the windows open and the use of a large vent fan would do the trick, no luck. I installed the largest vent possible for my wall and the inside temp still ran between 100 and 110. Isaac suggested covering the greenhouse roof with a silver reflective tarp in the warm months. I can install hooks for the tarp to attach too and not be blown off. Many of my plants I can move outdoors when we do this, will use solar powered grow lights for those we can't.
We are using our tax return to go solar at last. Isaac and his brother John removed the 40 foot pine trees that shaded the roof where I will be placing the solar panels. @ first want to power the lights on the new construction, more batteries/panels will give us more power to do things. Instead of an electric hot water heater I am going to an on demand propane one instead.
I am open to any new ideas.
Sam

Who cares Sam? .... really... who cares ?

lyman
02-12-2020, 03:30

apparently you did enough to read and post,,,,

S.A. Boggs
02-12-2020, 04:52

By the way, how is that alien "hiring" to supply your "cleaning" companies doing???:evil6::eusa_liar::eusa_shhh:
Sam

Mark in Ottawa
02-13-2020, 12:14
Given that your stove is probably generating most of the necessary heat, might it not be easier simply to install an electric baseboard heater as a supplementary heat source?

S.A. Boggs
02-14-2020, 05:53
Given that your stove is probably generating most of the necessary heat, might it not be easier simply to install an electric baseboard heater as a supplementary heat source?

I looked into your suggestion and it is quite viable if we stay connected to the grid. By going solar it would require too many panels/batteries to accomplish. You did give me an idea that I am going to explore today and that is the use of fans to move the heat around. Mark, thanks for the push in the right area! Ken suggested last year that I use propane to power my generator instead of gas and that I have done.
Sam