PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on value of deluxe walnut stock blanks

RCS
02-22-2020, 08:13
Just over twenty years ago I bought these two stock blanks from a gunsmith that was moving,
these blanks came from a stock blank company and are sealed. my plan was to buy a Ruger
No 1 single shot rifle barreled action and use these stocks to stock it, later I could send it out
for checkering. This wood would also be nice for shotguns too. I never got around to doing
this and now I am thinking about selling these blanks.

I am thinking around $275 to $300 for this wood ? does that seem high or low ?4718547186

Sunray
02-22-2020, 11:08
I've seen similar blanks, on-line, after doing a short net search running $500US and up. A great deal depends on the type of walnut. 'Deluxe' isn't a type. There's English, American, Bastonge, Black, etc. etc.
Rummage around here.
http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/

barretcreek
02-23-2020, 11:14
Bought some wood on eBay from "Quaking Aspens"; not sure exactly how the name posts.

He usually will draw an outline of a stock to show where the grain falls, especially in the area of the grip. Shows knots, etc. Also states which varietal and dimensions.

Haven't seen much from him lately but if you can find his prior sales you might get an idea.

lyman
02-24-2020, 05:52
just did a simple search on ebay using walnut stock blank as the search ,

clicked the sold button, before the search button,

blanks range from $95 up to $800 (lined out, meaning offer accepted)

Sunray
02-24-2020, 10:29
Ya'll need to boycott E-Bay and Pay Pal. They fund the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Buying or selling anything there directly provides money to the likes of The Brady Bunch.

lyman
02-24-2020, 10:37
Ya'll need to boycott E-Bay and Pay Pal. They fund the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Buying or selling anything there directly provides money to the likes of The Brady Bunch.

neccessary evil,

I buy and sell estates,

I have a paypal account (my 4th or 5th one, since the lock me up every now and again) but now go thru ebay's managed pay, (I rarely use paypal any longer, )

I can sell stuff faster, and for more $$ on ebay than anywhere else online,

most of what I sell is gunparts/accessories/ etc so they are going to fellow gun nuts,

what I sell that is prohibited on ebay goes on gunbroker,

Conductor
02-24-2020, 12:50
This thread reminds me of a situation I encountered back in the 1970s.
There was a gun store in Falls Church, Virginia called Davis Gun Shop, run by a super-nice guy named Fred Davis. Fred was an incredibly skilled gunsmith, and was a expert at stock making.
Late one afternoon when I was in the shop, a guy walked in with a Merkel double-barrel shotgun under one arm and several pieces of wood under the other. It turns out that he was an employee of the US State Department, and had recently been stationed in Ankara, Turkey. There was an earthquake while he was there, and one of the buildings that was destroyed was an old mosque that had been built about 950 A.D. This guy had managed to get part of one of the walnut roof beams from the mosque, and wanted Fred Davis to re-stock the Merkel with that 1,000-year-old wood.
I had the opportunity to see the gun after Fred had re-stocked it, and it was incredibly beautiful. I tried my damn best to buy that shotgun, but the owner would not sell it.
Can you imagine how neat it would be to have a shotgun stocked with wood that was 1,000 years old?