PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Grip Repair

Conductor
02-23-2020, 08:32
I recently bought a nice old (1922 vintage) Colt Police Positive in 32-20. The only problem that the gun has is a missing chip on the bottom of the right-hand grip panel. I was thinking of using something like JB Weld to fill in the missing portion, and then carefully sand it down to match the original contour.
Two problems with that are (1) JB Weld is light grey in color, and doesn't match the color of the original gutta-percha grips. And (2) I have to make sure that the hole for the retaining pin on the grip frame is exactly in the right place.
I had thought that I might be able to put the JD Weld on while the grip panel was on the gun, but would have to make sure that I used some sort of releasing agent on the metal frame so that the JD Weld would not stick and thereby permanently gluing the grip to the gun. I have no idea, however what I might put on the metal to keep the JB Weld from sticking to it.
Thoughts?
Ideas?

Art
02-23-2020, 08:39
My plan on things like that was to put something between the bonding agent and the material you don't want bonded. I've found a spiced of typing paper, in this case between the grip and the fame, to work will with a lot of things.

Conductor
02-23-2020, 08:46
My plan on things like that was to put something between the bonding agent and the material you don't want bonded. I've found a spiced of typing paper, in this case between the grip and the fame, to work will with a lot of things.

I had thought about using a piece of wax paper from the kitchen. But I have to consider the retaining pin on the grip frame. If I punch a hole in the wax paper for the pin to stick through, the JB Weld will adhere to the pin, and I would be unable to get the grip panel off. If I temporarily remove the retaining pin from the frame, then I would not have a reference point to drill a new hole in the grip panel.
If it's not one thing, it's another.

lyman
02-23-2020, 09:02
most release agents are wax based,
maybe a thick layer of paste wax,

JB weld will work
as will accraglass, Brownell's also sells a black dye to add to the glass ,

not sure what that dye is made from , or if it is compatible with JB weld,

I've done similar by taping off the area needing filled with a heavy tape, contour with a file, and drill the pin hole (slightly oversized) later when installed

S.A. Boggs
02-23-2020, 10:22
When in doubt do as I do, call Brownells and they will guide you as what to do and how to do it.
Sam

jmm03
02-23-2020, 10:33
perhaps something like this product? https://www.alumilite.com/store/pg/46-Casting-Resins.aspx Jim

Sunray
02-23-2020, 10:42
Plain old masking tape works for making a mold.
"...to drill a new hole..." You need to measure using your reloading vernier calipres. And use the release agent. Rumour has it that floor wax works as a release agent. Same as you would for epoxy bedding a rifle. Never tried that myself.
Have a Colt Police Positive in 32-20 that's pre-W.W. I, I think. Was given one of 'em by an elderly aunt whose father owned it. He had replaces the grips with slabs of wood he had carved. Rusted into a paperweight though. Still good enough to get me on paper away back when. Friggin' innards are a nightmare.
(1) JB Weld is just regular epoxy with metal in it vs the fiberglass Acraglass(that comes with a release agent.) has. Try some paint, either powdered or wet, to colour it. Brownell's will be pricey for the same thing.
Plan 'B' would be a set of grips(there are hordes of 'em) sold by Gunparts. Naturally, there are multiple "types" too. Round, Square, Wide Square, Early 'C' type 3, etc. None of 'em are stupid expensive but do vary in price from the out of stock $8.75 to the also out of stock mother of pearl at $107.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/colt/revolvers-colt/police-positive?page=4

lyman
02-23-2020, 11:07
another option is handgungrips.com
most are cast resin,,

jjrothWA
02-23-2020, 05:26
I have used Jiffy wax for ars, wipe on anad let dry, as I used JB Weld for bedding my Marlin 60cation and pressure pads for the barrel.

I have a 1927 PPS and next gunshow try and find a Pachmyar COLTD frame "CD" Small Grips. they seem to fit and gve me a normaldrip for shooting mine.

Just collection item or carrying?

Conductor
02-24-2020, 03:47
I have used Jiffy wax for ars, wipe on anad let dry, as I used JB Weld for bedding my Marlin 60cation and pressure pads for the barrel.

I have a 1927 PPS and next gunshow try and find a Pachmyar COLTD frame "CD" Small Grips. they seem to fit and gve me a normaldrip for shooting mine.

Just collection item or carrying?

Thanks to all of you guys for the tips. I think that I may give the folks at HandGunGrips.Com a try and see if their grips will be good enough.

I don't think that I'll use the gun for every-day carry, but I'm certainly going to shoot it. I have a nice Remington in 32-20, and the little Colt will be a nice companion piece.

Merc
02-24-2020, 03:54
I suggest applying some aluminum tape to the frame to you can file the patch to the correct shape without scratching it. Also, you might try contacting JB Weld to see if they can suggest a method to add color.

98src
02-25-2020, 07:13
I have used a piece of old hard rubber butt plate epoxied to the grip. if you do a good enough job of preparing the grip before epoxying the piece to the grip, the glue line will be practically invisible.

mike9905
02-28-2020, 11:35
A repair isn't going to fool anybody, least of all you. Live with what you have until you can find original or reasonable facsimile replacements.

Conductor
03-01-2020, 06:37
A repair isn't going to fool anybody, least of all you. Live with what you have until you can find original or reasonable facsimile replacements.

Why on earth would you think that I'm trying to fool anybody?
The grip has a piece missing from the lower corner, and I'm trying to repair it.
If and when I decide to sell the gun, I would certainly point out the repair to any potential buyer.