PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore show

Carlsr
03-01-2020, 05:21
With the Baltimore show fast approaching, 3/21-3/22/2020 I was wondering if anyone here would have information on a M70 typ I being available?
Last year I purchased a Type II but not at this show. Did not see any M70 Type I last year but there were a couple type II which were rather sad looking, they must have taken a hard beating.
Should anyone here know of one being available either at the show or somewhere else please let me know. This rifle would help in completing my 50 cal. collection, well minus the few others that if I did find would be way out of my reach LOL!!!
Thanks for any help.

Dick Hosmer
03-01-2020, 09:13
Actually there are three 1870s - the 1000 trial guns, distinguished by having the rear sight tight to the (new) short receiver, then the version with sight moved forward but no "MODEL" and which still retained the single-shoulder rod of the 1868, lastly the final type with "MODEL" added and the rod changed to the double shouldered style. These are ALL hard to find - in 50 years of collecting I have only seen two trials gun for sale, and very few examples of the others, none of which (except in pictures) could be called anything approaching "minty". Mine have all been VERY average - the one you found is nicer than the one I sold (I have not forgotten our "misunderstanding" and again apologize for my part in same).

I have no idea as to the quantity breakdown between the last two versions, but they both must have been used hard - story is that the .50 caliber arms were issued to support personnel - teamsters, packers, etc. after the troops received their Model 1873s. Of course, total production was not large, either.

Hope you have good luck - I understand that Baltimore would be THE show for something like that. Never been, wish I had - did make Allentown once while east on business - unbelievable selection there. In any event, best of luck!

Carlsr
03-01-2020, 02:16
Dick, so your telling me I need to find 2 more not 1 : ( I was under the impression that the difference between the two were the word model. First type without model and the second with. Also the sight, first having the sight up close and the second further away. I was also aware of the cleaning rod and thought that first type had a single shoulder and the second with a double shoulder.
There is no need to apologize again Dick, it is I who need to apologize to you for my somewhat rude comment a while back. I was just disappointed at the news you gave me and I know there is one lucky guy on the west coast with rare TD. Hopefully we can just put that misunderstanding aside : )
You should try to make the Baltimore show just once. Last year was my first and plan to attend every year from now on, it is the show of shows for the east coast anyway.

Dick Hosmer
03-01-2020, 02:37
Yep, three, though 99% of the public would miss the differences!:banana100:

scosgt
03-01-2020, 03:20
I thought the Baltimore show was dead with all the gun laws in MD now.
I went down there once - it was at the armory I think - it had to be around 30 years ago.

Carlsr
03-01-2020, 04:05
Not dead, still alive and well.
Held once a year at the Baltimore Fairgrounds.
http://www.baltimoreshow.com/

Kragrifle
03-03-2020, 05:06
Don’t miss it!

Conductor
03-04-2020, 07:57
The club that sponsors the Baltimore show has very strict rules about what they allow in the show. This helps immensely in dealing with the gun grabbers. No pistols made after 1898 are allowed in the building, and no "modern sporting rifles" (ARs, AKs, etc.) are allowed, either. All this plus the show is advertised as the "Baltimore Antique Arms Show". Protests at many gun shows are fairly common, but I've never seen any type of protests or picketing at the Baltimore show, and I go there every year.

Carlsr
03-22-2020, 08:29
Well I sure missed the show this weekend :( I guess there is always next year??
I did however win a CMP M1 Garand which is now sitting at my FFL because the background system is backed up!!! All those anti gunners out buying guns because now all of a sudden they think the will need one, hope they find ammo as that is scarce. Hopefully as long as they don't shut down I'll have it by Wednesday " Hopefully."

Tkacook
03-22-2020, 01:49
Massively off topic, but I was supposed to take a Advanced Maintenance Class at the CMP custom shop in two weeks and build a M1 Garand in class. Had to be selected by lottery to get in. Unfortunately it got canceled. Hope I get put in one of the later classes if things ever get back to normal.

I have a Danish Field grade I got from the CMP over 15 years ago and love it.

Carlsr
03-24-2020, 12:50
Not really off topic Tkacook, I did mention Garand :icon_lol:
Sorry to hear your class was canceled, sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. Since it was a lottery they should reschedule you for a latter date.

Tkacook
03-24-2020, 07:07
I meant my post! I sincerely hope it get rescheduled. It was supposed to be a select grade.

Carlsr
03-28-2020, 06:03
Got my Garand Tkacook!!! Not sure if this is a select grade but it is like new.

- - - Updated - - -

Muzzle reading 0t
throat 1t
It does say RM1 service.

Tkacook
03-29-2020, 02:41
Beautiful! Who made it?

Carlsr
03-29-2020, 03:29
Springfield armory.