PDA

View Full Version : Front row seat in the Coronavirus fight.

jon_norstog
03-14-2020, 03:38
The virus is here and it is spreading. How fast it spreads will determine how deep the s**t is that wem get into.

Thursday and Friday I volunteered at Emergency Management central through the Portland NET (Neighborhood Emergency Teams) program. NET sent out a request for volunteers and I signed up. I got a front row seat on the City-County-State response to the coronavirus breakout here.

Thursday the Governor, County Chair and Mayor were on TV/internet live saying they were going to do something, announcing schools and parks would be closed, there would be a moratorium on utility cutoffs and the City would halt sweeps of homeless camps and instead provide some level of service to them.

Emergency Management set up an “activation” called “Covid-19” and an Emergency Coordination Center and everyone got to work. The County Health Department is overall in-charge but is relying in Emergency Management for resources and coordination. By Friday afternoon an overall action plan was in place; looks like the NET volunteers are going to be pretty useful and a few of them are named into positions in the current action plan. The plan is good for one week and will probably be modified as the situation develops. Things are happening pretty fast, so there are daily end-of-day all staff meetings where everyone gets briefed. Everything is being documented. Meetings: lots of meetings! What I did was take meeting notes, get them reviewed, then file them electronically (plus handing over my paper notes)

The overall strategy is to buy time through voluntary measures like staying home, washing hands all the time, cleaning surfaces that get handled, etc; by prohibiting large gatherings (more than 250 people), and by closing schools, parks, libraries, etc. The idea is to slow down the spread of the virus so everybody doesn’t get sick at once and overload the hospitals, clinics, and providers. Also to start getting ready for a big increase in need for hospital beds, medicines, ventilators.

Last night it snowed. Today a call went out for volunteers at warming centers. They are not taking volunteers over 60 YO, otherwise I’d have gone and helped. More later.

jn

S.A. Boggs
03-14-2020, 04:27
We oldsters by necessity are now on the sidelines, something unusual for many of us.
Sam

togor
03-14-2020, 05:21
Thank you for the post.

Stay safe.

m1ashooter
03-14-2020, 08:25
Thank you for the post. I've been following cruise ship issues and I find it amazing at the amount of people pissed off that their cruise was cancelled for their own safety.

PeteDavis
03-16-2020, 07:21
Jon

Thanks for what you are doing and double thanks for this post.

I live in rural Virginia, we'll see what kind of outbreak we ultimately get. I am within 13 miles of a University with 37 nationalities. It seems the strategy is to slow the spread to flatten the response demand curve and hope that herd immunity can build throughout the population. I do not envy health care professionals for what is bearing down.

I will watch this thread daily as I am sure your news locally will be mine, if slightly later in time.

Thanks again and take care.

Pete Davis

jon_norstog
03-16-2020, 06:11
Pete, they sent me home. They had so many volunteers, they told me "let someone else have a chance!" I figure they will call back. As for caregiving, they are not taking anyone over age 60 at this time. That may change as things get crazy. The governor today said restaurants and bars could only offer takeout service and the ban on gatherings is now anything over 25 people instead of 250. The winter term at PSU is finishing up, it was supposed to be finals week but the place is locked down. Looks like online course only for the spring term. I don't know how that's going to work for a jazz performance class!

jn

dryheat
03-17-2020, 12:21
as things get crazy-
Don't get crazy.

S.A. Boggs
03-17-2020, 01:26
as things get crazy-
Don't get crazy.

Best advice I have heard yet!
Sam