PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up on water

S.A. Boggs
03-15-2020, 01:56
Last night while I waited on my wife to get off work I watched as people came out of the store with their purchases. Her store still has TP as that was evident and I was struck by the amount of water that was going out the door. Cases of bottled water and gallons of water in many carts. My wife said that both items are not rationed for purchase as people are being advised to stock up on water.
If water is no longer available to the American home, how is the latrine going to be available? We have a recently serviced septic tank so a latrine is available, along with a source of water. If no water is available to the home how is the sewage system going to function as well? Will Americans did a slit trench for use, I think not.
Sam

lyman
03-15-2020, 05:18
cleaned out an estate last summer,

the gent that lived in the house is a hoarder,
the house had a well (shallow) and septic,

the well went dry, and he told me the county would pump water in to them as needed (apparently a lot of the same in the area, )
however that worked, he did not participate,

so the bathroom was still used, when needed, and he used large water bottles, or juice bottles for urine,

so, no water for hygiene, no water to flush, just bottled to drink,

to say the house smelled bad would be an understatement,

the upstairs, where most of what I was buying was located, smelled like old canvas and ballistol, (lots of firearms and parts, not where the folks slept,

downstairs,, well, imagine years of body funk,,

and it was August

AC kept the house about 80

Sunray
03-15-2020, 10:47
"...how is the latrine going to be available?..." Water isn't a requirement to off load one's caloric intake. A hole in the ground will suffice.
Lotta panic buying by the stupid people. Local supermarket is out of TP too. Municipal government(no internet for me until sometime in April) and some Provincial functions are closing as well.

Gun Smoke
03-15-2020, 11:05
In a tight rain water will work just fine in a toilet. Putting a couple of large trash cans (w/o holes) under the eaves of the house will fill up in no time (provided it rains).

As far as panic buying, the real panic is the panic buyers keeping the selves empty. Most everyone has a few days supply of TP but when it is gone there is no guarantee you can buy more at the rate things are going now so if you're in a store and see some you need to buy it if only one pack. I went to the store today to buy bananas---not a one, and this is a perishable item that only last about 3 days---not something you would want to hoard.

I see more and more where people go to "self-quarantine" themselves. They go to the grocery stores. I suppose they are waiting around for some employee to open a box of something.

This isn't a hurricane. Power should stay on and municipalities continue to supply water. Power plants should remain operating and refineries should remain operating. What they do with their own employees as far as sickness and quarantine doesn't concern the general public so much. If worse came to worse they could hire temporary employees or call in the National Guard to operate the plants. Refineries could utilize their engineers to operate the plants if need be.

S.A. Boggs
03-15-2020, 12:49
Some in the administration are talking "shutdown" and IMHO this could come this week, perhaps as early as Wednesday. Shutting down non-essential business is most likely to happen. Now what is to remain open will be grocery stores, medical places, gas stations and majority of business Unless people are dropping dead on the streets. I do not see a total close down as America needs to continue to function.
MASH units are possible as well as bringing close to shore naval assets to large ports. My biggest fear is martial law if society starts to disintegrate and this is scary.
Sam

PaFrank
03-16-2020, 12:42
In winter you can just take your dump on a paper plate and toss it in your fire (assuming your burning it hot)

kj47
03-17-2020, 08:09
Yes, make sure the fire is HOT. (don't meed a smoldering turd)

Gun Smoke
03-17-2020, 08:38
In winter you can just take your dump on a paper plate and toss it in your fire (assuming your burning it hot)

Reminds me of some of the restaurants I've been to.

m1ashooter
03-17-2020, 09:04
In a tight rain water will work just fine in a toilet. Putting a couple of large trash cans (w/o holes) under the eaves of the house will fill up in no time (provided it rains).

As far as panic buying, the real panic is the panic buyers keeping the selves empty. Most everyone has a few days supply of TP but when it is gone there is no guarantee you can buy more at the rate things are going now so if you're in a store and see some you need to buy it if only one pack. I went to the store today to buy bananas---not a one, and this is a perishable item that only last about 3 days---not something you would want to hoard.

I see more and more where people go to "self-quarantine" themselves. They go to the grocery stores. I suppose they are waiting around for some employee to open a box of something.

This isn't a hurricane. Power should stay on and municipalities continue to supply water. Power plants should remain operating and refineries should remain operating. What they do with their own employees as far as sickness and quarantine doesn't concern the general public so much. If worse came to worse they could hire temporary employees or call in the National Guard to operate the plants. Refineries could utilize their engineers to operate the plants if need be.

You are spot on.

Former Cav
03-19-2020, 04:38
I burned $ hit in Vietnam more then once. I can't imagine throwing a turd in your fireplace!!
surely you jest!

lyman
03-19-2020, 07:43

I'd rather just go take a dump in the woods behind the house,,,

even in the snow

Conductor
03-20-2020, 06:45
As long as I have power, I'm okay. We're on a well that is 520 feet deep. I've got about 180 feet of standing water in the well, so the water is about 340 feet below ground level. There's no way in hell that a hand pump will raise water that high, and I don't have a generator big enough to power my well pump. On top of all that, I have a sewerage pump on my septic tank that pumps the liquid from the septic tank uphill a bit to my drain field. With no power, my septic tank will fill up and back up into my basement.
So I hope to hell that my power doesn't go out.

PeteDavis
03-20-2020, 08:18
If you crap in a hole you don't need no water!

PD

Gun Smoke
03-20-2020, 08:33
If you crap in a hole you don't need no water!

PD

True, but crapping in a hole isn't what every wife, girlfriend or child dreams of doing.

If drinking water becomes scarce just toss a bucket of rain water in the toilet bowl and wave "bye-bye" to the turds.

A little planning in advance is always helpful.

As said before: this isn't a storm or war. There's no reason we should expect power outages.

S.A. Boggs
03-20-2020, 10:30
True, but crapping in a hole isn't what every wife, girlfriend or child dreams of doing.

If drinking water becomes scarce just toss a bucket of rain water in the toilet bowl and wave "bye-bye" to the turds.

A little planning in advance is always helpful.

As said before: this isn't a storm or war. There's no reason we should expect power outages.

This was my thinking when I first saw the advice to store water, it made no sense at all. That is unless the powers that be know something that they are not sharing. I hope not, but one never knows does one?
Sam

Fred
03-22-2020, 02:23
Very true Sam.