PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy powder measure reservoir tube, & powder breaking down

SUPERX-M1
03-15-2020, 05:56
Sure, common knowledge, but I did not know that if you left powder in the measure it would react with the plastic over time and make it cloudy. Perhaps, to the extent that the plastic becomes opaque and one cannot see thru the plastic.

Had a can of H322 ball powder go bad. It rusted the can metal and oxidized the paper label. The metal equipment stored in the box with the can was rusted. I presume that nitric acid fumes were produced.

Tuna
03-15-2020, 08:07
Yup sure was. I had a new can of 4350 I had bought six months before turn to a nice rust colored brown and the inside of the can was the same color. Bad storage before I bought it. Dealer had it stored all summer long in a temperature controlled storage shed. Temp was set at....HOT.

Sunray
03-15-2020, 10:51
Sunlight will cause plastic to deteriorate.
"...rusted the can metal..." That's caused by moisture not the powder.

lyman
03-15-2020, 10:55
had a bottle of VV powder go bad,
N140, about 2/3rd s in the original plastic bottle,

tried it and did not like the groups, so just stuck it in the powder storage box,

noticed, admittedly years later, that some reloading tools I had in the same box had started to rust,
and that there were a bead of sweat on the bottle, lid slightly askew,

apparently it popped, and it smelled of chlorine,

tossed the powder,

found a few rounds that I had left and pulled them to see, and the base of the bullets had turned blue,

tossed those too

Tuna
03-15-2020, 06:15
Moisture? In a new sealed can? Not quite!!!!

lyman
03-15-2020, 06:16
Moisture? In a new sealed can? Not quite!!!!

if you are referring to my post, the bottle (plastic) had been opened and I had used about a `1\3 of it

Tuna
03-16-2020, 07:13
No Lyman. I was referring to Sunfrayed and his moisture comment.