PDA

View Full Version : Firing magnum rifles may well cause brain injuries as boxers, football,

SUPERX-M1
03-19-2020, 10:04
and even soccer, has shown.

Autopsy show severe damage to some brains. Apparently, one gunsmith, had brain scan that showed multiple areas of damage similar to concussion damage.

I was just reading about Bob Hagel, a very fine gun writer, who died in 2005-age of 89- who retired from writing due to very severe headaches. Apparently, he ascribed his condition to allergic reaction to plastic fumes from vinyl inside his vehicle, but the very likely possibility is firing magnum rifles for so many years.

I dont know if rifles have caused any detached retinas but do know that if you have detached retina, you had best quit firing heavy recoiling rifles until you heal or perhaps forever.

There may be wrist damage from big bore handguns. Arthritis? And? One person said that a 454 damaged his wrist after not many rounds.

I have no personal knowledge of above and am repeating what i have read.

bruce
03-19-2020, 10:29
Whether from a hard knock to the head playing football, heading a soccer ball, punch from a fist, fall to the ground riding a bicycle or ... heavy recoil to the face/head over a long period of time, force is force, physical trauma is physical trauma. A great deal more is know known about head/brain injury that was the case even back as recently as the 70's - 80's. Extended exposure to cannon/gun fire affects soldiers/shooters, i.e., hearing decline, deafness. No reason at all it would not be the same with hard recoil from a firearm. Sincerely. bruce.

S.A. Boggs
03-19-2020, 10:40
Having to listen to NSD crowd sure gives on a headache. Notice how Biden appears like a punch drunk fighter who won't stay on the canvas?
Sam

Merc
03-19-2020, 03:04
I had a shooter firing an AR next to me at the range in Florida last month. The powder blast and muzzle shock wave was surprisingly severe.

Roadkingtrax
03-19-2020, 03:09
The Pentagon has done research studies on the physical effects of recoil. I've often wondered how years of highpower rifle shooting might affect cognitive function. It can be a violent event if not in a sling.

togor
03-19-2020, 04:54
Proper technique with the rifle makes a big difference on what the shooter feels. I have one Garand with a Smith Enterprises muzzle break. It really attenuates recoil for the shooter but if you're next to him you feel a little shock wave every report.

lyman
03-19-2020, 07:41
I had a shooter firing an AR next to me at the range in Florida last month. The powder blast and muzzle shock wave was surprisingly severe.

AR15 or a AR10?

muzzle brake type makes a difference too

- - - Updated - - -

Proper technique with the rifle makes a big difference on what the shooter feels. I have one Garand with a Smith Enterprises muzzle break. It really attenuates recoil for the shooter but if you're next to him you feel a little shock wave every report.

I had a Barret M82 for a bit,

try shooting or standing next to that when a round is touched off,

or a Boyes,,

togor
03-19-2020, 07:46
Not recoil story, just old fashioned noise. I worked with some guys who were Vietnam vets. Both had pretty damaged hearing, tinnitus, but had learned to live with it. One of them walked foot patrols in the delta. He said that in an ambush, you could get a M16 going FA right next to your ear. Not a lot he could do.

lyman
03-19-2020, 07:51
one of the big complaints Browning had when they came out with the BOSS system was the noise,

hunters are not accustomed to the noise from a brake or tuner

- - - Updated - - -

Not recoil story, just old fashioned noise. I worked with some guys who were Vietnam vets. Both had pretty damaged hearing, tinnitus, but had learned to live with it. One of them walked foot patrols in the delta. He said that in an ambush, you could get a M16 going FA right next to your ear. Not a lot he could do.

first time I shot a M82 was in the fall,

laid a blanket out on a dirt road a friend had as a range, in the woods,

leaves every where, it was late fall,

first round put most of the leaves on either side of my on me,

shot the one I had next to a friend that also had one,

we managed to shoot after each other, as in he shot, I shot back and forth,

the sound was manageable, with muffs on,

the blast,, not so much,

I have shot a short barreled M16 with out muffs,,, or ear plugs,

once,,

never again

High Plaines Doug r
03-19-2020, 08:14
I'm pretty sure that, if it's a problem, then Vietnam era Arty guys have the same problem.
Before we deployed to Cambodia in 1970,my unit spent a couple of days on a fire base supporting 8" and 175 mm guns all aimed 20 miles or so in that direction.
What a ffarking racket! Every hour or so, they'd go off literally lifting me off the ground if sleeping or coating me in dust raised off the ground if I was standing anywhere inside the berm.
It was a pleasure to be marched off into the bush to be away from that noise. It was worse than (most) incoming.
I never met an Arty guy who could hear for shiat.

SUPERX-M1
03-21-2020, 04:52
Recommended to use plugs and muff at same time.
Pistol shooters damage right ear
Rifle shooters damage left ear. This is true in MY case.

I have mild tinnitus PLUS recruitment( a loud noise sounds like a VERY LARGE NOISE. I wear muffs when I use a hammer, mow lawn, power tools....

dryheat
03-21-2020, 09:15
Good advice. There are plenty of deaf carpenters. Skil saws and generators make a lot of racket.

Merc
03-21-2020, 11:19
AR15 or a AR10?

muzzle brake type makes a difference too

- - - Updated - - -

I had a Barret M82 for a bit,

try shooting or standing next to that when a round is touched off,

or a Boyes,,

Not sure if it was a 10 or a 15, but it was really loud, a lot louder than my ‘17 firing a 30-06. I was sitting parallel to the shooter about 8 feet away and was still able to feel the shock wave.

Speaking of shock waves, I recently read the book “Spearhead” that tells the story of the WW2 tank battles in Germany in 1945. An element of the US 3rd Armored Div. was given a new M26 Pershing tank that came equipped with a huge 90 mm main gun. In a demonstration of accuracy to the general and staff, the gunner was picking off chimneys on houses up to a mile away with the main gun. The general and his staff were too close to the tank and the shock wave from the first shot knocked them to the ground.

jon_norstog
03-21-2020, 08:03
Yeah, the military has ruined a lot of men's hearing. My dad flew in b-17s and p-61s and his hearing was f****d. I got tinnitus from hell, 4 years of standing engine room watches w/ no ear protection. My uncle lost his hearing on ships in the Pacific Theater.

jn

Merc
03-22-2020, 12:16
I know what you mean. I copied code on carriers in the 60s which cost me most of my hearing. I know plenty of flight deck guys who are deaf today.

The Pershing’s 90 mm gun must have been a monster. The fireball that followed the projectile out of the muzzle was huge.

jjrothWA
03-25-2020, 10:18
Try squuirrel hunting with .22 revolver and NOT placing your elbows on a truck[with revolver in the air]. NOW thats' LOUD!

Merc
03-25-2020, 12:52
I recently bought a set of shooting muffs made by Howard Leight/Honeywell with an electronic amp thru Amazon that seems to work better than anything I’ve used so far.