PDA

View Full Version : Six trillion for stimulus?

dryheat
03-24-2020, 05:03
How many trillion do we have?

Roadkingtrax
03-24-2020, 05:10
How many trillion do we have?

-23 Trillion (that's negative 23). We can't even pay down the interest.

togor
03-24-2020, 06:18
May have to inflate our way out of this.

Stimulus isn't what's needed so much as liquidity.

Puttingoney in people's hands when there aren't enough goods to buy is how inflation gets going.

dryheat
03-24-2020, 06:25
I think Charmin is already at a dollar a sheet.

pcox
03-24-2020, 06:56
If you put a dollar on the pile every second around the clock you'd have a billion dollars in 31.7 years. To get to a trillion you'd have to go for 31,688 years. Will we still be using Charmin then?

dryheat
03-24-2020, 11:57
Starting to remind me of 1973. I was 22 or so. I'm staying with my folks and the first thing I hear is; you need to go fill up your car, the world is running out of oil. Something to do with Arabs or something. I got in the car and went and got gas. I saw main street bare of cars. I saw people lined up to get gas. Now here's the kicker. My step mom who was not a scholar said, it's BS... so to speak. They are not running out of oil. Maybe she was watching the news and made her own decision.
That was the start of inflation for me. I hated it(soda went from .15 to .50. I expect things to stay the same(and I still do somewhat). Silly me. But you know what they say about things. OK, I'll help you out a little here. The more things change, you know this.

Major Tom
03-25-2020, 06:06
The problem is: people who REALLY need a check from the Feds will not get one. I'm talking the senior citizens who are on a fixed income and are not working! People already on free government handouts WILL get a check!

Art
03-25-2020, 07:44
The problem is: people who REALLY need a check from the Feds will not get one. I'm talking the senior citizens who are on a fixed income and are not working! People already on free government handouts WILL get a check!

You are correct that everyone will get a one time check regardless of how big a slug they are.

Assuming the deal today is the final deal:

Retirees, like everybody else, will get a one time payment of $1,200.00 a head which isn't a fortune but it is something. We're retired and really won't feel this much because we retired well but I understand that many retirees are not so lucky.

The real problem is our "grasshopper" society is now faced with a problem we needed to be and "ant" society to deal with. Right now a lot of spending is required to avoid a collapse that could possibly equal The Great Depression (bread lines, Bonus Army.)

Below are two examples of how the bill is supposed to work for people who have had to temporarily shut their businesses or have lost their jobs:

My wife's Vietnamese friend has had to close her nail spa. With the loss of her cash flow if nothing happens and there is no government help, within two months it will be closed permanently. Her four employees are laid off. This bill will give them an extension of unemployment with a $600.00 "balloon" payment up front. Fortunately "Miss Vietnam's husband is a mid level executive with a pretty strong company and both of them know how to handle money. One of my best friends has a daughter who's an architect. She was trying to work from home with two demanding kids because the schools are closed, she was fired today. She and her husband will get a one time payment of $3,400.00 ($1,200.00 each plus $500.00 for each munchkin,) and she will get the unemployment benefits above.

Small service businesses would be annihilated by this without Federal intervention, as it is many, especially new start ups will not survive. We plan to eat a lot more takeout just to do a little to help our favorite mom & pop eateries.

The bad news is I'm afraid we'll be a debtor nation long after I and my grandson, and my great grandchildren are dead and gone.

S.A. Boggs
03-25-2020, 08:59
My wife and daughter both work in a major grocery store and have been quite busy as one would expect. The big problem is the cussing my daughter gets when she has to tell them that they can't buy as much as they want. I wish I was there when this happened and then again maybe not!
Sam

Major Tom
03-26-2020, 04:36
As of this morning, 26th of March, the media says the emergency bill has not passed! I believe it is 2 trillion. Pelosi won't give in unless her ridiculous demands are met. Isn't it time to oust Pelosi from Congress? She doesn't give a damn about people, not even her constituants in Calif.

oscars
03-26-2020, 04:43
Hey Einstein, please illuminate me on what ridiculous demands a Pelosi has made. Do you like the amount of Boeing’s share in spite of their repeated bits of incompetence?

S.A. Boggs
03-26-2020, 05:09
Hey Einstein, please illuminate me on what ridiculous demands a Pelosi has made. Do you like the amount of Boeing’s share in spite of their repeated bits of incompetence?

If you have to ask you will never know. Those without eyes cannot see and those without ears cannot hear.:icon_redface:
Sam

oscars
03-26-2020, 06:35
Another pointless meme from the Boggster! In other words, you are, as usual, totally clueless.

Art
03-26-2020, 08:52

Nancy Pelosi announced last week that the House would produce its own bill. Whether the "pork" and add ons are pointless depends on where you sit. Whether they belong in this bill because they won't pass on their own is something else.

The House (Pelosi) bill was about 500 pages longer than the Senate bill and included, among other things, paying off the Post Office debt, a mandated 50% reduction in aircraft carbon emissions and my favorite, $35,000,000.00 for the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Apparently the only stand alone part of the House bill that made it into the final (Senate) bill was the Kennedy Center windfall and that was reduced to $25,000.000.00. The Senate bill which is not going to Conference is set to be approved by voice vote in the house on Friday.

Net loss for the House Democrats.

Interestingly the Prez was asked yesterday if the Kennedy Center part was appropriate and whether he would sign a bill with that in it. He pronounced the Kennedy Center a good thing which means yes.

Since Constitutionally all funding bills are supposed to originate in the house this is a bit of a strange reversal of the order. I guess since the Senate was in session and the House wasn't the Senate got the ball.

Former Cav
03-26-2020, 09:42
Hey Oscars.. here you go:

The Democrats hit an all time low by trying to hold the Congress hostage and adding cost items that have nothing to do with needed aid during the virus emergency. That Witch Pelosi is totally out of control! I hope the voters remember this in November.

This is why we can’t pass an emergency COVID-19 bill in congress. Makes the point of why we need Term Limits and makes you proud of what some elected officials think is important at this time.

• No voter ID to get a ballot, & anonymous “ballot harvesting” pg 650
• $300,000,000 for Migrant and Refugee Assistance pg 147
• $10,000 per person for student loan bailout
• $100,000,000 to Nasa, because, who knows why, maybe they hope they’ll find aliens to help us?
• $20,000,000,000 to the USPS, because why the hell not, maybe they worried about mailing a virus?
• $300,000,000 to the Endowment for the Arts / because you need better entertainment in quarantine?
• $300,000,000 for the Endowment for the Humanities/ because no one even knew that was a thing
• $15,000,000 for Veterans Employment Training / for when the GI Bill isn't enough
• $435,000,000 for mental health support / thats a lot of suicide hotlines
• $30,000,000,000 for the Department of Education stabilization fund/ because that will keep people employed
• $200,000,000 to Safe Schools Emergency Response to Violence Program/ in case people read the bill?
• $300,000,000 to Public Broadcasting / NPR has to be bought by the dems
• $500,000,000 to Museums and Libraries / Who the hell knows why, maybe to look up the black plague?
• $720,000,000 to Social Security Admin / but get this only • 200K is to help people. The rest is for admin costs
• $25,000,000 for Cleaning supplies for the Capitol Building / I xxxx you not it's on page 136
• $7,500,000 to the Smithsonian for additional salaries
• $35,000,000 to the JFK Center for performing Arts/we can’t go now….but someday... TRUMP got this down to 25M
• $25,000,000 for additional salary for House of Representatives/ you knew they would slip in something for themselves!!!!! <---of course... they NEED a BONUS of some sort, right?????
• $3,000,000,000 upgrade to the IT department at the VA/ get, but now?
• $315,000,000 for State Department Diplomatic Programs/ they can do an awesome newsletter with that
• $95,000,000 for the Agency of International Development/ to help people who have a government that is broken
• $300,000,000 for International Disaster Assistance/ we have a disaster here folks….hello
• $90,000,000 for the Peace Corp pg 148
• $13,000,000 to Howard University pg 121
• 9,000,000 Misc Senate Expenses pg 134
• $100,000,000 to Essential Air carriers pg 162 This of note because the Airlines are going to need billions in loans to keep them afloat. $100,000,000 is chump change
• $40,000,000,000 goes to the Take Responsibility to Workers and Families Act. This sounds like it's direct payments for workers. Pg 164
• $1,000,000,000 Airlines Recycle and Save Program
pg 163
• $25,000,000 to the FAA for administrative costs pg 165
• $492,000,000 to National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) pg 167
• $526,000,000 Grants to Amtrak to remain available if needed through 2021 pg 168 (what are the odds that doesn't go unused)
Hidden on page 174 the Secretary has 7 days to allocate the funds & notify Congress
• $25,000,000,000 for Transit Infrastructure pg 169
• $3,000,000 Maritime Administration pg 172
• $5,000,000 Salaries and Expensive Office of the Inspector General pg 172
• $2,500,000 Public and Indian Housing pg 175
• $5,000,000 Community Planning and Development
pg 175
• $2,500,000 Office of Housing

and yet, the funny thing is that the MSNBC and CNN are telling people, that Pelosi’s bill is standing up against corporation bailouts!!! and Dems believe them without reading this Bill

"We have to pass it to find out what in it"

THE above is the FIRST go around. I don't know what the latest amendments to it are as I am not "in with the incrowd" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.A. Boggs
03-26-2020, 10:06
Another pointless meme from the Boggster! In other words, you are, as usual, totally clueless.

Oscar, with your $back will you please go for the mental health that you earlier requested for your mentioned illness. As I stated before, many clinics have free or reduced rates. You can pm me privately if you need help as I have assisted other's over the years who requested assistance.
Sam

JohnPeeff
03-27-2020, 11:45
Oscars, Togor , et. al. The Obama administration repeatedly sought to cut hundreds of millions of dollars in funding to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) yearly budget requests show which seems to undercut your repeated attacks on Trump"s administration for its pandemic preparedness. The Associated Press has noted that claims such as yours "distort the facts" with fact checker.org pointing out that the CDC funding has actually increased under the current administration. In the fiscal 2013 budget the Obama administration sought a funding level of 5.9 billion a cut from the 2012 budget of 6.46 billion, that is 569million. In fiscal year 2015 they wanted a 414million dollar cut and in fiscal 2017 a 251 million dollar cut. Some of these cuts specifically took aim at the CDC's preparedness programs. Togor, you made light of the 35 million for the Kennedy Performing Arts Center in THe Democrats shameful pork barrel bill, what's 35 million when you are talking trillions right? Stupid.

lyman
03-28-2020, 07:29
Oscars, Togor , et. al. The Obama administration repeatedly sought to cut hundreds of millions of dollars in funding to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) yearly budget requests show which seems to undercut your repeated attacks on Trump"s administration for its pandemic preparedness. The Associated Press has noted that claims such as yours "distort the facts" with fact checker.org pointing out that the CDC funding has actually increased under the current administration. In the fiscal 2013 budget the Obama administration sought a funding level of 5.9 billion a cut from the 2012 budget of 6.46 billion, that is 569million. In fiscal year 2015 they wanted a 414million dollar cut and in fiscal 2017 a 251 million dollar cut. Some of these cuts specifically took aim at the CDC's preparedness programs. Togor, you made light of the 35 million for the Kennedy Performing Arts Center in THe Democrats shameful pork barrel bill, what's 35 million when you are talking trillions right? Stupid.

if one needed to buy some Tinfoil often, to make a nice peice of headgear,

one may think that the reductions would play into the need for Obummercare (formerly known as Hillarycare) and make a case for implementation of a Gov't socialized medicine program,,,

one may think that,

may,

Roadkingtrax
03-28-2020, 07:34
So if everyone is mad at additional spending, what the hell is in there to garner universal consent from Republicans as well? Let's be honest, it's more pork than a Hawaiian pig roast.

South Dakota has 40 cases—and gets $1.25 billion from the state relief fund—$30 million per case.

New York has 35,000 cases—and the most we could get is $5.1 billion—​$155,000 per case.

What's wrong with this math?

lyman
03-28-2020, 07:36
So if everyone is mad at additional spending, what the hell is in there to garner universal consent from Republicans as well? Let's be honest, it's more pork than a Hawaiian pig roast.

South Dakota has 40 cases—and gets $1.25 billion from the state relief fund—$30 million per case.

New York has 35,000 cases—and the most we could get is $5.1 billion—​$155,000 per case.

What's wrong with this math?

pork is pork, and always has been bipartisan,

it is a bit refreshing tho to see Nanz catch some heat, the media reporting anything bad on a D is a bit uncommon,

togor
03-28-2020, 02:30
Maybe it isn't just money but also competence that matters? God forbid!!

Trump's administration declared a Covid-19 emergency, which kicked in emergency rules that froze out non-approved testing channels. THEN they rolled out a faulty test of their own creation, an action not yet explained. So for awhile there, NOBODY IS GETTING TESTED. AND we the public are still today in the dark as to a national strategy for how to beat this thing. Talk about getting taxpayer value when it matters most!!

Obama era cuts would be made after the great recession with deficit hawks in Congress. Somehow the GOP demand to slash all domestic spending in that era never factors into the telling of those times. Back then this board would bitch that the Obama administration spent too much money on crap like the CDC and school meals.

lyman
03-28-2020, 03:09
Maybe it isn't just money but also competence that matters? God forbid!!

Trump's administration declared a Covid-19 emergency, which kicked in emergency rules that froze out non-approved testing channels. THEN they rolled out a faulty test of their own creation, an action not yet explained. So for awhile there, NOBODY IS GETTING TESTED. AND we the public are still today in the dark as to a national strategy for how to beat this thing. Talk about getting taxpayer value when it matters most!!

Obama era cuts would be made after the great recession with deficit hawks in Congress. Somehow the GOP demand to slash all domestic spending in that era never factors into the telling of those times. Back then this board would bitch that the Obama administration spent too much money on crap like the CDC and school meals.

those supposedly tasty Michelle meals that were healthy and wholesome, and apparently tasted like crap and no one ate?

dryheat
03-28-2020, 07:23
Everyone doesn't need to be tested! It's like when 9-1-1 rolled out, everyone found a reason to make a call. Were we a little slow to get started on this? Probably. It's new. It's hard to believe. It's still hard to believe. Trump is an optimist. This is America, we feel a certain invincibility. There's vid of about a dozen news people who in a week quickly changed there tune.

togor
03-28-2020, 07:41
those supposedly tasty Michelle meals that were healthy and wholesome, and apparently tasted like crap and no one ate?

Melania left the garden in.

You know any teachers? In districts where free/reduced meals are served? I do. Hungry kids eat when you give them food. A quote that stuck with one: "I'm glad school is back. I get to eat." Rural, white district.

dryheat
03-28-2020, 11:07
People who shouldn't have children.

S.A. Boggs
03-29-2020, 12:00
Locally, as children/adults often do, declined what was put forth as "healthy food" and the rejected "food" went into the trash.
Sam

lyman
03-29-2020, 10:02
Melania left the garden in.

You know any teachers? In districts where free/reduced meals are served? I do. Hungry kids eat when you give them food. A quote that stuck with one: "I'm glad school is back. I get to eat." Rural, white district.

I do,

and yes, some meals were eaten up and others had a lot of leftover that went in the trash,

not sure what Melania has to do with it,

btw, ever watch any of Jamie Oliver's shows