PDA

View Full Version : 6 Months?

S.A. Boggs
03-29-2020, 05:46
If this "emergency" extends out 6 months, how will this affect your family? How long is your family planning for? What are you willing to do different for a new "normalancy?"
Sam

Bt Doctur
03-29-2020, 06:41
If it goes that long the cured, non-infected, recovered will be conscripted for internment services

lyman
03-29-2020, 08:01
I'm still working, and a funky shift due to the restrictions,

I have concert tickets for July,, one for a band I have not seen since 1984, and 2 I have followed as long but have never toured this area,

and one that would be a repeat,,but still damn good (one is a double bill if you are counting)

wife will be absolutely nuts by then,, since her mother needs a minor heart procedure that has been put off 2 x's already, one for fear of beer flu, one for what may have been beer flu or regular flu outbreak,

6 months from now I may be sleeping out in the woods to get rest,,,,

shadycon
03-30-2020, 05:35
Sitting on my front porch as usual!:1948:

Former Cav
03-30-2020, 02:58
If I'm not dead, I'll be making more beer to sanitize my drinking water!

S.A. Boggs
04-02-2020, 12:45
I have been watching what has been going on in the rest of the world, mainly India and Africa. India is primed for very severe problems and the possibility of huge casualties. South Africa is in the same way and the Kenya area will be calling on the world to help feed the population due to the insect problem and destruction of food. In the Republic many daily things are changed/no longer available. Grocery stores/gun shops are starting to quiet down after the initial panic as the population becomes numb to the daily virus news. There is a strong possibility that this "30 day" thing could go on for some time in America. Vacations will certainly be changed as people will stay locally more in America. It would be interesting to see how America coped with the 1918 virus and the post virus world.
Sam

Mark in Ottawa
04-02-2020, 08:24
Having returned from Florida, we are under automatic quarantine until tomorrow.

After two weeks stuck in a fairly spacious house, with TV, internet, telephone, etc and a reasonable selection of food, I am starting to go stir crazy. To the point that I am actually looking forward to getting out and going shopping for food tomorrow. After quarantine, our strong moral obligation is to stay home except for very necessary trips (food, medical, etc) so I figure that we will be in a near quarantine situation for some time . I figure a minimum of another month but perhaps longer. It is going to be mentally hard but at least as a retiree with a guaranteed pension I don't have to worry about money.

My kids,on the other hand are trying to work from home and my grand daughter is doing school assignments on line. In Ontario, the closure of schools has been extended until the end of April and my guess is that they will probably close until the Fall. Fortunately my granddaughter is nearing the end of grade 8 and starts high school in the Fall so I suspect that she will be fine with no real school problems.

The people that I am really concerned about are the great number of families who live from payday to payday and who have been laid off. The Canadian Government has announced major financial support for them but it will be weeks until the details can be worked out and the money dispensed.

If this problem persists for 6 months then it will take a generation for the economy to recover and for the government to pay back the money that they are borrowing. Either that or the government will just start to print money and we will have massive inflation.

Somehow lost in all the discussion so far, is what will the world do about the Chinese. They lied about the problem, let it get out of hand and now are trying to look like nice guys by sending us masks. We have really just learned about the risks involved in outsourcing the manufacture of everything to them and losing control of the production chain. We in the west are going to have to do some serious re-thinking about this and re-industrialize, even if it means that we can no longer get dress shirts for $25

m1ashooter
04-02-2020, 08:38
I think its reasonable to believe that this virus is going to be part of our lives for awhile at least through the summer and then coming back later in the late fall. I'm hoping that by staying home it will give the medical community time to develop treatments for those who are going to get sick.

If you can stay home.

jon_norstog
04-02-2020, 11:57
Looks like no international travel this year. I am getting the garden in, fixing things around the house, practicing my music most days, riding the bike. The streets are pretty empty except when the sun comes out. The welding supplies shop is classed as an essential business so I can still get Ox and Acetylene.

Hunting season - I hope this is mostly over by then. Idaho jacked up non-resident tag fees 50%, I may break down and hunt the Oregon Coast Range, dodging bullets from urban hunters ...

I have a lifetime Idaho hunting license but I have to buy non-resident tags.

What Mark said about the economy ... that's a lot to think about. 6 million people applied for unemployment compensation this week in the US. That's maybe half the people w3ho are out of work and down to seeds and stems.

It didn't have to be this way.

jn

S.A. Boggs
04-07-2020, 04:17
Normal life, what will that now be? People are asking, "How Long???" and not even the "experts" can answer this. One of my wife's friends is use to being on the go shopping, visiting and many others. Now she has been home for 4 weeks except to get food and she is going bonkers. Others won't go out for fear of fear and this is sad. Our Church is doing video and drive in which is better then nothing. Mom and our daughter still go to work as needed workers in Ohio, nothing changed for them. We still eat at McDonald's/Wendy's except in our truck. Steak house is out as holding a plate is kinda hard in the truck.
Normal? I wish I knew what it will be, I do know that normal will be what our family now makes for us not accepting the worlds normal.
Sam

togor
04-07-2020, 04:43
999+ out of 1,000 people in the country don't have it. That's good news. But it means we're closer to the beginning than the end.

Pills needed to:

Prevent the immune system from going haywire,

Interfere with the ability of the virus to replicate.

Then a vaccine to build herd immunity.

No talking our way past this one, which is deeply frustrating to some folks.