PDA

View Full Version : Memories of life.

S.A. Boggs
04-01-2020, 05:26

I remember when Dad bought our first color TV like this back in 1965.
Sam

lyman
04-01-2020, 05:46
I remember being the remote control

fjruple
04-02-2020, 04:06
I remember that as well and being told that sitting too close to the TV would hurt your eyes. LOL!!

Major Tom
04-02-2020, 04:39
I remember when a neighbor or relative got a black and white TV. Everyone would gather at their house and watch for hours. Circa early 50's.
Remember phone party lines? Easy to listen in on other's calls. A pain if you needed a phone in a hurry.

Mark in Ottawa
04-02-2020, 08:07
I remember that my mother refused to have a TV in the house, even when one of my cousins offered her one as a gift. She felt that we kids would get addicted to it and not study. Years later some friends of ours were moving to England and had sold everything except their TV. As a favor to them, my mother agreed to buy it. A month later she was totally addicted, just as she had feared.

jmm03
04-02-2020, 08:08
and only 3 channels that had 1 show in color apiece. Waking up at 2:00 am after falling asleep on the couch to the blaring of the test pattern... the hardest part was attaching the antenna to the cave wall, the pteradactyls kept roosting on it interfering with the signal. simpler days. Jim

m1ashooter
04-02-2020, 08:41
I remember going to the firehouse to watch the Packers in the superbowl because they had a console color TV. It was a volunteer company and all the men and youngsters were gathered to watch the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember being the remote control

Me too

Vern Humphrey
04-02-2020, 09:43
and only 3 channels that had 1 show in color apiece. Waking up at 2:00 am after falling asleep on the couch to the blaring of the test pattern... the hardest part was attaching the antenna to the cave wall, the pteradactyls kept roosting on it interfering with the signal. simpler days. Jim

I remember during the Johnson Administration there was a saying, "A radical is a person who thinks there ought to be TWO TV channels in Austin, Texas."

S.A. Boggs
04-02-2020, 10:40

Dang you, I just spilled the Real Thing laughing.....
Sam

bdm
04-02-2020, 12:26
WOW do i remember growing up in the 50s my dad was a WWII Combat Vet you had work to do before you got food he would send me out early in the morning with my wagon to follow the coal truck to pick up the chunks of coal that fell off the truck when they were putting it through the basement window everyone burned coal back then.Go back home when the wagon was filled have breakfast or lunch he was a great man and they were great times in my life he taught me to respect something kids today do not have

PWC
04-02-2020, 01:25
Remember my father putting the antenna in the roof and twisting the twin-lead just so and using the stand-offs. First thing I saw on our8 Crosley TV was Hopalong Cassady riding across the screen with a loaf of "Bond" bread (now Wonder Bread) super imposed on the screen.

Many years later; The Outer Limits...."We control the vertical | ... We control the horizontal ---"

free1954
04-03-2020, 03:34
I was the youngest, so i'm the one that had to stand alongside the t.v. to move the antennae around. I was also the first one in my family to get cable t.v. first show I ever saw in color was the flintstones.

Vern Humphrey
04-03-2020, 07:07
I was the youngest, so i'm the one that had to stand alongside the t.v. to move the antennae around. I was also the first one in my family to get cable t.v. first show I ever saw in color was the flintstones.

You young'uns don't know what it's like to have it rough. When I was a kid, antennas hadn't been invented yet -- I had to stand beside the TV with both arms up and wire running out my butt.

PWC
04-03-2020, 08:23
When I went into the military, the first thing they gave me was a club and said I had to kill my first uniform.

Vern Humphrey
04-03-2020, 08:34
When I went into the military, the first thing they gave me was a club and said I had to kill my first uniform.

When God said, "Let there be light" I was the Charge-of-Quarters who threw the switch.

jmm03
04-03-2020, 10:03
I imagine it was easier on you once they invented tin foil that you could put on your arms to improve the reception... Jim

Vern Humphrey
04-03-2020, 10:26
I imagine it was easier on you once they invented tin foil that you could put on your arms to improve the reception... Jim

It was the invention of the coat hanger that really made the difference.

lyman
04-04-2020, 06:35
worst thing in the world was to be watching a favorite show while staying at the grandparents (rural farmland) on a rainy afternoon, and hear a clap of thunder,

grandma unplugged everything, not just turn it off, physically unplug,

they had a close lightning strike once the fried a few things, so no more chances taken,

didn't matter if you had seen that rerun 10x's,,

it was still

THE

WORST

THING

S.A. Boggs
04-04-2020, 08:40
When God said, "Let there be light" I was the Charge-of-Quarters who threw the switch.

You had a switch, we had to twist the wires together!
Sam

Vern Humphrey
04-04-2020, 08:41
You had a switch, we had to twist the wires together!
Sam

We were an elite unit.

rayg
04-04-2020, 12:34
You young'uns don't know what it's like to have it rough. When I was a kid, antennas hadn't been invented yet -- I had to stand beside the TV with both arms up and wire running out my butt.

I bet you got a shxxtie picture, Lol

Vern Humphrey
04-04-2020, 01:39
I bet you got a shxxtie picture, Lol

And every time I farted. it would change the channel.