PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Bands Don't Last

Liam
04-01-2020, 06:38
Forgive me if I posted in the past on this....

Some years ago I got annoyed at the lifespan of rubber bands I use to secure the slip-top ammo boxes I use. They stretch, after time take a set, and eventually just break due to UV exposure, ozone, etc. I ordered a bunch of EPDM bands and have been using the same ones for 5 to 7 years now and they are as stretchy as the day they arrived. You pay a little more for them, but well-worth it IMHO. I heard about them from an Army buddy who described how infantry guys use them to quiet their kit during movement. Just an FYI. Keep safe everyone and enjoy your hobbies.

Roadkingtrax
04-01-2020, 06:51
Thanks for the tip. I've noticed the one's I've been using to keep my front sight protectors on my M1s/M1As dry up and fail in just a few months. Not helpful when you get to the range and they dont do their job during the match.

JohnMOhio
05-20-2020, 07:52
Based on what I see in the photos, you can just as easily use an inner tube from a kids bike and cut it into strips. I haven't tried it but it seems like it might work. Just can't say how long that they would last.

PWC
05-21-2020, 08:43
Looomg time ago, rubber bands did last, now they aren't rubber anymore, they are some kind of inexpensive hybrid plastic and are probably designed to have a short life, planned obsolesence.