PDA

View Full Version : Gardening this year?

S.A. Boggs
04-07-2020, 11:52
Besides Jon and I, who else is going to enjoy this. Mine is a combination of part soil and hydroponics to have adequate food. :banana100::hello::icon_salut:
Sam

lyman
04-07-2020, 12:16
while it has been a very light winter and warm spring, I am not taking a chance and will do like normal and have my garden in in a couple weeks,

going a bit lighter, since the wife has some dietary no no's,

jon_norstog
04-07-2020, 12:40
I got a LOT of leaves in last fall to use for mulch & keep the weeds down. I have the cold-hardy stuff -onions and garlic - going now plus chard and kale wintered over. It quit raining and I am putting in the spuds. Most all of my early starts have croaked, but it is warming up and Maybe I can get a fairly early start. I left a lot of fruit on the ground so maybe there will be beaucoup volunteer tomatoes. I like San Marzanos but no seeds are coming in from Italy yet. And I put up a 16 foot long trellis from the red raspberries that are coming alive now.

I like to work with soil, so this is a garden that now it is in, it will keep producing

47359 47360 47369

This is the 2018 garden just before we left for Italy. When we got back it was a jungle!

jn

S.A. Boggs
04-07-2020, 12:48
I got a LOT of leaves in last fall to use for mulch & keep the weeds down. I have the cold-hardy stuff -onions and garlic - going now plus chard and kale wintered over. It quit raining and I am putting in the spuds. Most all of my early starts have croaked, but it is warming up and Maybe I can get a fairly early start. I left a lot of fruit on the ground so maybe there will be beaucoup volunteer tomatoes. I like San Marzanos but no seeds are coming in from Italy yet. And I put up a 16 foot long trellis from the red raspberries that are coming alive now.

I like to work with soil, so this is a garden that now it is in, it will keep producing

47359 47360 47361

This is the 2018 garden just before we left for Italy. When we got back it was a jungle!

jn

Nice garden, how do you keep animals/people out? My main problem is with raccoons which I trap and dispose of.
Sam

lyman
04-07-2020, 01:52
deer are the nemesis here, so I fence mine,

4' fence,
they can jump over it easy, but don't seem to want to ,

I've planted Corn 4 times,

once the squirrels ate the seed , the other 3 I got maybe 10 ears off before the coons found it and shredded the stalks

PWC
04-07-2020, 05:17
Anybody grow potatos in straw? Remember while living in WA the local paper, TNT, garden section talked about it. Said the 'taters plant them the straw bout 12" thick, on the ground. To harvest, just shiffle thru the straw, they come out clean. I alwars wanted to try it when we get the cold storage ones (with the black spots inside) in early spring

pcox
04-07-2020, 06:48
Put in some onion sets today. Can't seem to find any seed potatoes. Everyone is out of them, a lot of folks must have mudded them in. Try to get some lettuce and radishes in tomorrow. I don't get in a big hurry, we could get frost all the way up to the first week of May.

jon_norstog
04-08-2020, 08:27
Nice garden, how do you keep animals/people out? My main problem is with raccoons which I trap and dispose of.
Sam

Sam! The yard is fenced and the neighborhood is pretty quiet. I had deer one year but they were just passing thru. Raccoons here seem to prefer garbage and I think they have moved to a neighborhood where people throw away more food. Now that you mention it, there is way less wildlife hre than used to be the case. I've never seen a 'possum or a rat, for instance.

jn

jon_norstog
04-08-2020, 08:35
Anybody grow potatos in straw? Remember while living in WA the local paper, TNT, garden section talked about it. Said the 'taters plant them the straw bout 12" thick, on the ground. To harvest, just shiffle thru the straw, they come out clean. I alwars wanted to try it when we get the cold storage ones (with the black spots inside) in early spring

I did that one year in Idaho, not in straw but in a giant leaf pile. It really worked and the spuds were, as you say, clean as a whistle. Im doing that sort of this year, put the seed potatoes in the ground with just a little showing, then cover them with a foot of leaves. Let's see how they like that.

jn

Major Tom
04-10-2020, 08:06
Here in Iowa, we always planted our garden on Mother's Day, mid May. Will do same this years IF we can get the plants. Our 'garden' is small. We like tomatoe, bell pepper, and various hot peppers.

Carbine64
04-10-2020, 07:18
Getting ready to get our garden cleaned up from last year.We have snow or a mix next week so its a little early.On average we start setting plants out in the middle of May,due to the frost