PDA

View Full Version : Another Gun Board destroyed by greed.

clintonhater
04-15-2020, 10:07
It's the S&W Forum, today converted into an "advertising" board; and I don't mean Coke or Suburu--the sleaziest, ugliest, garbage you can imagine--except you can't imagine without seeing it. OF COURSE, the owners of the site are now telling members it was done to "improve efficiency", & other lying, hypocritical BS--it has been done to rake in the coin, & to hell with the members who made it what it USED to be!

lyman
04-15-2020, 10:13
IIRC one of the founders now runs Sigforum,

and likely S&W was sold, like Gunboards, to a Canadian outfit,

usually the advertisements are picked from someone's browser history, so if a member is looking at mens boots, the site will have a lot of similar items advertised,

one of the reasons I started using an ad blocker

Roadkingtrax
04-15-2020, 11:39
Same company that took over the M14 forum.

Now, it hasn't changed much, but no one knows who's pulling the strings (and data mining posts.)

bruce
04-15-2020, 12:30
Been a member of the S&W Forums since 2009. Not wild about new improved version. May be O.K. Will wait and see. If not, there are other places available. Sincerely. bruce.

clintonhater
04-15-2020, 12:56
IIRC one of the founders now runs Sigforum,

and likely S&W was sold, like Gunboards, to a Canadian outfit,

Exactly--site now sports a Canadian address.

As for the ads, I have not recently been shopping for women's bras.

clintonhater
04-15-2020, 01:03
Been a member of the S&W Forums since 2009. Not wild about new improved version. May be O.K. Will wait and see. If not, there are other places available. Sincerely. bruce.

What other places? I migrated from the "other" S&W board because of the obnoxiousness of their ads! I don't have to "wait & see" about such a flagrant sell-out & betrayal of the members, like you, who built that site into what it used to be.

lyman
04-15-2020, 01:46
CH, what browser do you run?

if chrome, try an adblocker, does wonders for me when surfing,
no popups , no adds on any forum,

clintonhater
04-15-2020, 02:48
CH, what browser do you run?

Internet Explorer. That may be part of the problem, but that's a different issue; the principal issue is selling out to the Canadian exploiter.

Actually, my IE does block some ads & pop-ups, but it's not consistent--sometimes it does, sometimes it fails. Of course the criminals who try to insert the ads are constantly working to outsmart the ad-blockers.

lyman
04-15-2020, 04:24
I logged into S&W forum, first time in a long while,

had 3 likes from 2017,,,,

anyhoo,
chrome, adblockplus, and the pages had between 5 and 9 (depending on the page I was on) ads blocked,,

popped over to Gunboards and had almost as many blocked, (I know when Tuco and Vic sold it, the ad's got a bit thick,, that's when I started using adblockplus)

dryheat
04-15-2020, 04:33
I use Firefox, used to use internet explorer. I have adblocker. I see where people complain about constant ads popping up in Utube vids ect. I get zero ads. Once in a while I am asked to shut off the AB to access some site. I go to something else to read. I have a little icon up in the corner of my screen that shows how many hundred things it's blocked. It's probably not totally free, maybe all those ads are piling up somewhere on my computer and one day it will blow up.

clintonhater
04-15-2020, 06:00
I use Firefox, used to use internet explorer. I have adblocker. I see where people complain about constant ads popping up in Utube vids ect. I get zero ads.

I just installed Adblocker on my "unsupported" IE, looked at a YT video, & you're right--ads gone, thank you Jesus! However, being provided with "something for nothing"--ESPECIALLY on the internet!--worries me. I'm very suspicious about what the "bottom line" cost for this service may turn out to be, when it's too late to do anything about it.

lyman
04-15-2020, 07:31
I just installed Adblocker on my "unsupported" IE, looked at a YT video, & you're right--ads gone, thank you Jesus! However, being provided with "something for nothing"--ESPECIALLY on the internet!--worries me. I'm very suspicious about what the "bottom line" cost for this service may turn out to be, when it's too late to do anything about it.

been using adblocker for years,

only issue is some sites will get a popup asking you to whitelist (allow ads) on them,

only site I have whitelisted is Pandora, since I listen to it instead of the radio when working in the shop ,

if I feel the need to visit a site that does not like an adblocker, then right click and open incognito,

lyman
04-16-2020, 03:15
looks like both S&W and Colt forum are not bought by a company that is owned by Vertical scope,

and the forums have been updated or changed,,

apparently a lot of data is gone as well,,

Johnny P
04-16-2020, 05:37
Yep, Colt forum just brought out a new and improved format that everyone hates.

clintonhater
04-17-2020, 02:52
Yep, Colt forum just brought out a new and improved format that everyone hates.

"New & improved" for the purpose of selling sleazy advertising. Who would buy any of that garbage anyway? My last posting on the S&W board was a link to this thread, if it hasn't been deleted, but I'm not going back there to find out; FTS.

And one more thing: even before this sell-out, I hated that it was modeled on Facebook, the Idiot's Delight, with the "like" bullxxxx that turned every posting into a popularity contest; FTS double.

Johnny P
04-19-2020, 07:01
Some of the sites require you to turn ad blocker off before you can view the site. I have no problem clicking off those sites.