PDA

View Full Version : NM M1 Garand

Pentolite
04-21-2020, 05:20
I've read on a couple of occasions where NM rifles sold by the DCM are "the real deal" compared to modern day CMP sales. Would someone explain what that means, and does it affect value?
I've had mine for twenty years, the letter I requested (dated 2003) indicates shipment in 1969. Is mine a CMP or DCM rifle?
Thanks!47573

lyman
04-21-2020, 06:58
CMP is what the DCM was
I don't recall the change over date, sometime in the mid 90's I think,

the rifles sold thru the DCM would be 'the real deal' as in made to shoot the Nationals and kept in storage (also used in other matches throughout the year)

some were sold to civilians over the years,

I am not sure if CMP made up any NM rifles, but imagine they still get some trickling in from the sources in the Services,

I do know the CMP built up some M1D's,
was told this by Mike at the South Store during a visit in Feb 2016,

they did not hid this fact, they were listed as Specials,

I was told they found a pallet of D barrels in one of the storage areas, and decided to build the guns up vs selling the barrels

JimF
04-21-2020, 07:26
CMP is what the DCM became, . . . .

Me-thinks you got that “versa-vicer”, Lyman

Pentolite
04-21-2020, 08:12
Thank you for the replies. Having been sold in 1969, safe to say it's a DCM rifle, hence more desirable? It's in really great shape, TE= 2.25, MW=1.25. I understand if it's in poor taste to ask a ballpark value, I'm just curious, not interested in selling it. If I'm out of order, tell me and I'll delete the question. Once again, thanks!47574

JimF
04-21-2020, 10:56
My “ballpark” values are:
If a legitimate Type One . . .WITHOUT any Type Two upgrades, 5k.
If a legitimate Type Two. 3.5k.

lyman
04-21-2020, 11:23
Me-thinks you got that “versa-vicer”, Lyman

correct Jim, and corrected my boo boo

Pentolite
04-21-2020, 11:27
All correct type two (1962). Then newer CMP releases bring less?

Johnny P
04-21-2020, 11:29
How was the NM marking applied to the left side of the barrel between the gas cylinder rings? The early barrels were hand stamped, but later in production the NM was pantagraphed on the barrel. It was thought that stamping the NM by hand set up stresses in the barrel. I sold an early barrel with the hand stamped NM and a star in this location.

My Type II NM with RIA sales documentation has the pantagraphed marking, but no NM marking on the right side of chamber area.

John Mello
04-21-2020, 12:40
Does the star on the NM barrel indicate it was star gaged ?

jm

Pentolite
04-21-2020, 01:06
Here's how the "NM" looks on the barrel. I guess it's stamped but actually appears to be cut. I'm interested to hear you take on it 47575

- - - Updated - - -

My understanding is that the star represents 1962 production. A heart was used in '63, and a cross was used in'60, I believe.

Johnny P
04-21-2020, 01:35
The NM shown is pantagraphed. It was something like a dentist drill on a pantagraph machine that followed a pattern and cut the same pattern on the piece to be marked.

Not sure what the star was for. By the time the NM M1 rifles were made the barrel was air gauged. The old star gage relied on the person doing the gauging feeling the difference in the barrel, where the air gauge has a metered amount of air pressure applied to a plug that fits the barrel. Any increase or decrease in air pressure as the plug passes through the bore indicates tight or loose places in the bore.

Pentolite
04-21-2020, 02:08
Pantagraph more common than hand stamping?

Cosine26
04-21-2020, 09:55
The Director of Civilian Marksman ship (DCM) was established by the War Department Appropriation Act of 1903 in conjunction with the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice (NBPRP). The DCM was put under control of the US Army in 1916 and the Director was a US Army officer. The DCM worked closely with the Army to promote the sale of arms and accessories and support the requirement of the National Matches. There was a close tie between the DCM and the NRA. Until about 1933 0r 1934, the DCM published information about arms and the Matches in a separated page of the American Rifleman. From then on, announcement wee still published in the AR but the DCM did not maintain a page in the AR. In 1996 the Defense Appropriation Ace of 1996 abolished the DCM and the NBPR and established the CMP, a non government corporation.

When I bought my NM M1 in 1962, I dealt directly with the Major Item Supply Management Agency. When I bought my Service Grade M1 in 1973, I dealt with the DCM for approval. When it came time to pay, I dealt with the DOA HQ and installation support Activity. When I bought my M! Carbine in 1963 I dealt with the Government Equipment section of the NRA. At different times the procedure was different. In every case I was required to submit my NRA membership card. In the case of service grade M! , I was required to submit evidence that I was a competitor in High Power Rifle shooting-no problem because I was rated as a Lifetime Master with the High Power Competition.
FWIW

Charlie Flick
05-17-2020, 07:02
Gentlemen:

I don't see any difference in value between a genuine M1 NM rifle sold by the DCM and a genuine NM rifle later sold by the CMP. There might be a small nostalgia factor for a NM rifle sold by the DCM at Camp Perry, but otherwise I see no difference in value that is dependent upon which organization sold it.

As far as I know, the CMP has never been in the business of creating "new" National Match M1 rifles.

Regards,
Charlie

dryheat
05-18-2020, 02:22
Does the star on the NM barrel indicate it was star gaged ?

jm

No.