PDA

View Full Version : Sea salt!

dryheat
04-28-2020, 10:25
I'm looking at the jar of peanuts on my desk. I love peanuts. I get the house brand. They are 'lightly salted'. Love em. Now I see the label mentions Sea Salt. Now my ears get a little red. Sea Salt. I see this everywhere like it's some kind of magic ingredient. Well, there's about 155 million,zillion, gazillion tons of salt in the sea. Not to mention the earlier referred to figue entrapped all over the earth from previous seas. It's not Martian or Lunar salt, I don't care if it came from the Dead Sea or the Baltic salt it's just plain old salt. Right? If I'm wrong someone explain it to me. It doesn't prevent sickness from C-19. Salt is important though. Iodized salt also does something important, not sure what. If you add some garlic it keeps away vampires. Do we worry about vampires these days?

S.A. Boggs
04-29-2020, 02:27
If I remember right, sea salt contains minute trace minerals. Besides it looks "environmental" on the label to get the tree huggers go buy it.:banana100:
Sam

Marty T.
04-29-2020, 06:00
Since the glaciers are melting from "global warming" or whatever they call it now, the sea levels are rising. So to counter that, they are taking salt from the sea to make more room for the water. I should be a politician!!!

Emri
04-29-2020, 08:04
Salt is important though. Iodized salt also does something important, not sure what.

Iodized salt contains Iodine, a necessary part of your diet. There are not many foods that will supply iodine. Shrimp is one (yummy!). Table salt is chemically produced and they add the iodine. Sea salt is just that and has no added stuff. You can actually taste the difference between the two types.

FWIW

Emri

togor
04-29-2020, 09:46
The thyroid gland really likes iodine. People without it can get goiters. Radioactive iodine is a component of nuclear fallout hence the idea of iodine tablets to protect the thyroid (by giving it its fill of the non-radioactive type). In people with Graves Disease on the other hand sometimes they have to nuke the thyroid (literally) and radioactive iodine is what they use.

A Slovenian friend brings me some local sea salt when he comes to visit, from their little bit of Adriatic coastline. Works great on good meat, fish, etc. Has a little bit of a tang to it. Salt beds as I understand it are derived from natural tidal basins. It turns out some bacteria thrive in high saline environments, and humans can cultivate those environments and harvest the salt from them. The bacteria kind of cover up the muck so harvesting takes some skill.

Johnny P
04-29-2020, 10:37
Everything you ever wanted to know.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326519

Merc
04-29-2020, 11:26
Hey Sam, don’t they still mine salt from under Lake Erie near Cleveland? Used to be Morton but last I heard, it’s now Cargill.

S.A. Boggs
04-29-2020, 02:25
Hey Sam, don’t they still mine salt from under Lake Erie near Cleveland? Used to be Morton but last I heard, it’s now Cargill.

Not sure, John in Ohio lives in that AO and he would know. There is a former salt lick close to me that the Step parents of Sherman use to mine.
Sam

High Plaines Doug r
04-29-2020, 03:32
There's a great big salt mine under Lake Huron on the Canadian side by Goderich. The stuff tastes like salt.

pcox
04-29-2020, 04:28
I modified a boiler in a Morton Salt plant on the east shore of Lake Michigan a few years before I retired. They pumped salt brine out of the ground and boiled off the water then packaged the salt.

Fred Pillot
04-29-2020, 07:05
There are still salt evaporators in Southern San Francisco Bay (Alviso). They use levies to capture the tidal water. Been going on since late 1800's. The salt is washed in water after it crystalizes. Go figure.

dryheat
04-29-2020, 08:19
Coincidentally, I watched Jimmey Stewarts Laramie this morning. There's the scene where they are collecting salt from a dried lake.

Gun Smoke
04-29-2020, 08:45
From Top Secret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmzJXVEnmKc

mike9905
04-30-2020, 12:24
A few years ago there was a tv ad that proclaimed their product contained "low sodium sea salt". As far as I am concerned, salt is salt.

Johnny P
04-30-2020, 06:11
The only difference in sodium is by volume since sea salt is generally coarser, but otherwise the same.

RED
04-30-2020, 06:48
Salt, including sea salt, kills the coronavirus. So does UV light and high temperatures. So if you are violating the law and walking on a beach in Florida and you get sneezed on by a COVID-19 victim that is a illegal Mexican "refugee," drinking Corona beer, and partying on the beach... Just jump into the water and then let the sun's UV rays dry your hair! You'll be just fine.

SUPERX-M1
05-05-2020, 07:26
Still in operation and the salt is mined for use as corrosive , vehicle destroying, bad news road salt.

Relative has an F 150 , maybe a 2000 something, the frame is swiss cheese and he cannot tow with it for fear of buckling and tearing apart the frame.

I have always felt that vehicles should be built with components integrated into large module sections that could be easily pulled and replaced, but logic and what should be does not enter into this .

Merc
05-07-2020, 01:21
Still in operation and the salt is mined for use as corrosive , vehicle destroying, bad news road salt.

Relative has an F 150 , maybe a 2000 something, the frame is swiss cheese and he cannot tow with it for fear of buckling and tearing apart the frame.

I have always felt that vehicles should be built with components integrated into large module sections that could be easily pulled and replaced, but logic and what should be does not enter into this .

I remember when cars driven exclusively in the rust belt wouldn’t last 10 years.