PDA

View Full Version : consignment firearme

k arga
05-06-2020, 05:51
I have put a couple of shotguns on consignment and they have not sold, now I am told that I have to do a 4473 to take them back, why, bound book would show gun in and gun out to same person not a sale.

kurt

lyman
05-06-2020, 06:00
depends on how the local off ice and how the folks at the LGS interpret the rules,

repairs can be returned w/o a background,

Consignments are usually entered in the bound book as inventory (vs entered in the repair book) and would need a BGC done,

I have been told by one Compliance guy (ATF) that I could return if needed and another that I would need to have them fill out the paperwork and run a BGC,

I'm a FFL/SOT btw

Major Tom
05-06-2020, 06:05
Simpsons LLC in Galesburg, IL has that same policy. Since I am not a resident of Illinois, the would have to send MY firearm to a FFL in Iowa for me to get it back. I have sold a few firearms thru Simpsons, but I dislike their 20% fee for selling them. I use Simpsons because of their very extensive customer base. Sometimes it takes months for a gun to sell tho.

clintonhater
05-06-2020, 07:00
Consignments are usually entered in the bound book as inventory (vs entered in the repair book) and would need a BGC done,

Then the intelligent thing to do is have the gun listed only in the repair book, but "for sale" if any customer is ready to buy it then & there, in which case it could be transferred to the consignment book. And whatever the red tape BS, it should have been explained clearly to the owner of the gun before he left it with the dealer.

lyman
05-06-2020, 09:02
Then the intelligent thing to do is have the gun listed only in the repair book, but "for sale" if any customer is ready to buy it then & there, in which case it could be transferred to the consignment book. And whatever the red tape BS, it should have been explained clearly to the owner of the gun before he left it with the dealer.

that is a possibility, but if one was to get an inspection, they you would have to explain why a gun for sale is in the repair book, not the bound book,

easy enough fix,

JimF
05-06-2020, 10:58
Be glad you don’t live in Connecticut!

If a widow brings in her dead husband’s handgun to a dealer . . . and does NOT have a handgun carry permit . . . .and if the gun doesn’t sell, and she wishes to try another store . . . . .she CANNOT get the gun back!

Legalized EXTORTION!!!

clintonhater
05-06-2020, 12:35
that is a possibility, but if one was to get an inspection, they you would have to explain why a gun for sale is in the repair book, not the bound book,

The alleged "repair" gun is in the rack with those that are for sale. Customer comes up, likes the gun, asks if it's for sale; dealer says yes, if you're ready to buy it, & the gun is re-booked.

k arga
05-06-2020, 02:34
JimF, I lived in newtown ct for 56yrs before retiring to sc whole lot better down here.

lyman
05-06-2020, 06:49
The alleged "repair" gun is in the rack with those that are for sale. Customer comes up, likes the gun, asks if it's for sale; dealer says yes, if you're ready to buy it, & the gun is re-booked.

hence the comment easy enough fix