PDA

View Full Version : Springfield vs springfield inc.

Hecklerusp45
05-08-2020, 02:21
I have had a chance to see one of the Garands made by Springfield Inc (non military issue) but I would assume it should be possible or even easy to tell it from a military issue springfield, am I correct?

k arga
05-08-2020, 02:27
I think it should say springfield inc on the rec and the ser no will be 7,000,000 up.
think that's right.
kurt

Johnny P
05-08-2020, 04:42
Haven't seen that many, but alll I have seen were over 7 million serial number, and all were GI parts other than receiver.

Carbine64
05-08-2020, 05:55
Springfield Armory would have them at Camp Perry during the National Matches all were in the 7 million range.This would be around 2000 to 2005,after that I do not remember seeing the rifles at Springfield.Over the years I have ran on to them at gun shows and gun shops.Most do not understand they are not Real M1 Garands. One of our members has one and will shoot it our club matches. He upgraded it a few years ago with a new barrel after about 5000 rounds.

lyman
05-08-2020, 06:42
it will have the trademark logo beside the name just like the M1A's do,

clintonhater
05-08-2020, 07:07
it will have the trademark logo beside the name just like the M1A's do,

I.e., a fake. How has it been legally possible, I've always wondered, to expropriate such an illustrious name & institution as "Springfield Armory" for commercial exploitation?

lyman
05-09-2020, 07:31
I.e., a fake. How has it been legally possible, I've always wondered, to expropriate such an illustrious name & institution as "Springfield Armory" for commercial exploitation?

Reese or maybe Elmer Ballance registered the Trademark?

eta, from Wiki

Elmer C. Ballance began using the name "Springfield Armory" through his company (LH Manufacturing) dedicated to the first civilian production of the M14 rifle, calling it the M1A. Ballance began in San Antonio, Texas, and soon after moved to Devine, Texas, where the company gained momentum and popularity. In 1974, Ballance sold the company to the Reese family, who had a well-established production shop in Illinois and experience base. The company then expanded its market into other firearms, including the M1911. After further success, the company began to branch into even more types of firearms. The company, now run by Dennis Reese (formerly along with his brother Tom Reese), manufactures and imports dozens of different firearms in many styles and models. The company has previously (as late as 2017) used a motto, "The First Name in American Firearms", in reference to the original and operationally unrelated Springfield Armory of Springfield, Massachusetts, which was founded in 1777 and closed in 1968.[2] Those two dates are included in a timeline on the company's website, which notes that in 1974 "a passionate family by the name of Reese rescued" the Springfield Armory name.[3]

clintonhater
05-09-2020, 08:20
Reese or maybe Elmer Ballance registered the Trademark?

That begs the question of how the name of a governmental agency & national institution can become, or rather degenerate into, a commercial trademark. If so, why can't "U.S. Army" or "USMC" be registered as trademarks? I'm well aware that famous trademarks are, unfortunately, bought & sold like any other commodity, but it's inconceivable to me how the name of a gov't agency falls into the same category.

I've always been disgusted by the shameless hutzpah of exploiting the illustrious name & history of SA for personal profit, & reading in the above Wiki that this "passionate family" is attempting to conflate the history of their company with the history of SA makes me even more contemptuous of them.

bruce
05-09-2020, 08:52
It is not difficult to tell the difference between a USGI M-1 Garand produced by Springfield Armory and a commercial M-1 Garand produced by Springfield Inc. The receiver stampings tell everything one needs to know to make the distinction. Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
05-09-2020, 12:41
That begs the question of how the name of a governmental agency & national institution can become, or rather degenerate into, a commercial trademark. If so, why can't "U.S. Army" or "USMC" be registered as trademarks? I'm well aware that famous trademarks are, unfortunately, bought & sold like any other commodity, but it's inconceivable to me how the name of a gov't agency falls into the same category.

I've always been disgusted by the shameless hutzpah of exploiting the illustrious name & history of SA for personal profit, & reading in the above Wiki that this "passionate family" is attempting to conflate the history of their company with the history of SA makes me even more contemptuous of them.

not sure,

likely since the National Armories are shut down,

Rock Island Armory is another trademarked name,

togor
05-09-2020, 06:18
Frankford Arsenal

Major Tom
05-10-2020, 06:23
All of the Springfield, Inc. "garands" I've handled all were stocked by Boyds Gun Stocks. Those were some really clunky stocks having generous wood overhang around the butt plate and receiver. All were priced well over what CMP was getting for a genuine M1 Garand.