PDA

View Full Version : Strange marking on an 1884, any ideas?

Bolomauser
05-10-2020, 06:28
I was looking at an 1884 for sale near me and noticed these strange marking on the barrel just forward of the chamber. Any ideas? There appears to be a bit of grinding or something in front of the “87.” Any idea if the finish looks legit? Thanks in advance boys!

Dick Hosmer
05-11-2020, 12:34
The barrel numbers have to be some sort of inventory ID by a previous user/owner. Were NOT done by SA! The case-hardening colors on the block appear a bit "off" but it's hard to tell from a couple of small photos - might be perfectly OK. Do you suspect something is funky?

Bolomauser
05-11-2020, 07:28
I guess I dont really know if I suspect anything or not. The numbers stamped on the breech block don’t appear buffed down like on a refinish but some of the marks seem a bit worn, this may well just be the result of age however. I have an 1884 I use as a shooter that was refinished and it’s very obvious in that case, but this one if it was refinished seems much more correct and seems to have been done quite a while ago. I’m linking some pictures from the Gunboards thread I started on this as well, the pictures are a bit clearer so maybe you can see a bit more what I’m talking about with the markings.
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1148923-Strange-markings-on-1884-Springfield

Dick Hosmer
05-11-2020, 01:40
I think it is just worn/faded, after seeing the larger, clearer pic. The number on the barrel is just plain ugly - would be a turnoff for me.

Since you already have a shooter, I'm guessing you were looking for a nice one for display? You CAN do better, unless it is AWFULLY cheap. I'd look at the stuff Al Frasca has for sale on www.trapdoorcollector.com

Bolomauser
05-11-2020, 02:41
I was hoping to sell the refinished shooter I have and upgrade to this one, but I think you’re right, the marks on the barrel are a turn off. It’s for sale for 700, so not crazy but a bit high in my opinion.

Tkacook
05-11-2020, 07:08
The number on the barrel is similar to inventory numbers I have seen on movie used rifles. Could be, but hard to prove.