PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer M17

Major Tom
05-14-2020, 01:00
I've been looking at Sig Sauer M17 pistol. Looks like a nice gun. Has anybody bought one and how do you like it? Pros/cons welcome.

fjruple
05-14-2020, 05:47
Major Tom-- I personally own three M17 and the newer M18. I found them to be a very reliable pistol and easy to modify to your tastes. I have shot and owned several Beretta 92FS the civilian version of the M9 which the M17 replaced. Being a variation of the P320 series pistols. They are quite modular which was SIG Sauers selling point to the US military. One of the problems of the M9 is it is a fistful of a weapon. Great firearm when you become familiar with it. The M17 comes with a medium size grip from the factory I purchased a Small size directly from SIG Sauer for $59.00 to get a feel for the grip. The fit and feel was perfect and I did not need a gunsmith to do the change. I have since converted all of my M17s and M18 to the Small size grip. Shooting wise the trigger is consistent when shooting not like the DA/SA feel of the Beretta 92FS (M9). The only con at this point is the lack of additional upper assemblies and other bells and whistles for the pistol but they are slowly coming on line. You will not regret this purchase.

tom gray
05-16-2020, 06:33
I have one and I really like it. I installed the Sig Romeo Pro 1 red dot on it and am still getting used to it, it is my first red dot. I just need more practice with it. You will like it.

S.A. Boggs
05-21-2020, 08:03
Several years ago I contact Ruger about the prolong use of their pistol in condition one, I was advised not to do it. One of the reasons that I retired my 1911 in favor of the P220 is the ability to keep the pistol with a round in the chamber. The 1911 I had to either eject the round or "gently" lower the firing pin to safety catch position. Striker fired pistols are in the same position as that of the 1911.
Sam

lyman
05-21-2020, 10:33
Several years ago I contact Ruger about the prolong use of their pistol in condition one, I was advised not to do it. One of the reasons that I retired my 1911 in favor of the P220 is the ability to keep the pistol with a round in the chamber. The 1911 I had to either eject the round or "gently" lower the firing pin to safety catch position. Striker fired pistols are in the same position as that of the 1911.
Sam

what was the reasoning behind this?

S.A. Boggs
05-21-2020, 11:22
what was the reasoning behind this?

This is my CCW, as such I keep it in a constant state of readiness not without one in the chamber. What is the point of having to load and reload???
Sam

Major Tom
05-21-2020, 01:57
I carried a Government 1911 45acp for many years with a round in the chamber, manual safety on and of course there is the grip safety. Very safe way to carry. I don't understand Sam's fault with the 1911. Sure, there is only 7 rounds tho.

S.A. Boggs
05-21-2020, 02:07
I carried a Government 1911 45acp for many years with a round in the chamber, manual safety on and of course there is the grip safety. Very safe way to carry. I don't understand Sam's fault with the 1911. Sure, there is only 7 rounds tho.

My concern was when I and my "friend" stood down for the night. I really like the 1911 as an almost perfect pistol except for this one issue of keeping the pistol ready to fire. I am seriously looking to change to the FN as it offers the option of both sides of the coin. Ready to fire cocked and locked or the hammer down safely on a loaded chamber. I was never concerned with only having 8 rds, that is plenty as I carry 4 other spare mags on my shoulder rig to balance me out.:banana100:
Sam

lyman
05-21-2020, 03:02
This is my CCW, as such I keep it in a constant state of readiness not without one in the chamber. What is the point of having to load and reload???
Sam

I meant what did Ruger tell you ,

I also carry a 1911 (colt commander) sometimes,

cocked and locked, round in chamber, safety on,

never had a problem

eta,

my holster, a leather pancake style, has a retaining strap that goes between the hammer and slide, so just a bit of extra safety,

I leave it in that condition when I take it off,

and shoot it a a couple times a year, no issues,

I also have SIG's in my carry rotation, and may be picking up a first gen or model 229 shortly,
like the 220, 228, and P6 I have, it has a decocker, and a decent DA pull,

S.A. Boggs
05-21-2020, 05:04
Ruger said it was not advisable to keep the spring compressed for any length of time.
Sam

lyman
05-21-2020, 06:49
Ruger said it was not advisable to keep the spring compressed for any length of time.
Sam

interesting,

then I would likely not buy a Ruger again,