PDA

View Full Version : Ancestor of the Garand

Art
05-15-2020, 03:09
For years I thought that John Garand was influenced by the French M`1917 and M1918. After watching this video I am absolutely convinced that his action For the M1 weapon, while it may not have been "inspired" by the French weapons was very heavily influenced by them. The video is an hour long, but worth it. If you want to watch movie length videos on WW I weapons these two are your ticket. While I know it wasn't so I can almost imagine Mr. Garand having one of these hanging on his wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pMUb5Qufuc

RCS
05-15-2020, 04:10
There are a number of things in common between the two rifles but Garand's short
length receiver and bolt plus the disassembly were far superior to the RSC series.

My photos show a RSC 1917 with the chamber converted to the M1932 cartridge and
marked the the N stamp. These rifles were still in service during the 1930's. 4769447695

Art
05-15-2020, 04:17
There are a number of things in common between the two rifles but Garand's short
length receiver and bolt plus the disassembly were far superior to the RSC series.

My photos show a RSC 1917 with the chamber converted to the M1932 cartridge and
marked the the N stamp. These rifles were still in service during the 1930's. 4769447695

I would never say either RSC was in any way equal to the Garand which is a much more refined design but the number of similarities is striking, a long stroke action using an operating rod. The op rod spring that operates both the feeding and extraction/ejection cycle and the magazine follower, and a "hammer hook" trigger system are all repeated in the M1

The RSC was probably the best of the 1st generation full power semi auto military rifle, especially the Mlle 1918 which corrected many of its faults. The rifle was, considering the time, labor and material limitations the designers were operating under, was an impressive achievement. The use of odd bits from the Manlicher-Berthier, the Chauchat, and most of all the Lebel to minimize the use of new parts and speed production was impressive. With all of its numerous flaws I think it was probably the best of the 1st generation semi auto rifles.

It does not surprise me that the best of the 1st generation full power semi auto battle rifles would have contributed to the absolute best 2nd generation full power semi auto battle rifle.

Speaking of the Chauchat, these two have an excellent in depth look at all of the Chauchat variants including the .30-06 ones. Some day when you folks don't have anything to do for 2 1/2 hours they are worth checking out.

The rifle in the video was converted to Balle N and is so marked. I suspect all or nearly all surviving rifles were converted to the 1932 round.

clintonhater
05-15-2020, 05:08
10 min pretty much exhausted my interest in this gun, but later, I'd like to hear what he has to say about certain others, esp. the Lewis gun.

Art
05-15-2020, 06:00
10 min pretty much exhausted my interest in this gun, but later, I'd like to hear what he has to say about certain others, esp. the Lewis gun.

One of the things I enjoy the most in these is watching Mae actually fire these old guns. The Chauchat is a trip when you see it actually cranklng 8x50mm r down range. It is a site for real wonks, there is a lot of detail on history, mechanics and function. As Mae said, and I'm paraphrasing, the Mlle 1917 is almost too "steampunk" for words.

There is an extensive exploration of the Lewis gun, and the Maximum, the Winchester Model 1895 in Russian service, and for that matter, the Ruby pistol among dozens of others.

clintonhater
05-15-2020, 07:25
\
There is an extensive exploration of the Lewis gun, and the Maximum, the Winchester Model 1895 in Russian service...

Wow...that's especially interesting, because although the '95 is my fave lever-gun, I can't imagine how it could survive a day in the brutish hands of Russian peasants! If it did, it must be a whole lot more rugged than I took it for!

Art
05-15-2020, 09:18
Here you go, and a fascinating story it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4grSRn5wnHI

RCS
05-16-2020, 06:06
The RSC 1917 rifle used a special clip (photos) later the RSC 1918 used the standard Mannlicher-Berthier clip.

I understand some RSC 1917 rifles were also converted to use the standard five round Mannlicher clip when
rechambered for the M1932 cartridge - any additional information ?

Original clip is very rare4769947700

Art
05-16-2020, 07:09
The RSC 1917 rifle used a special clip (photos) later the RSC 1918 used the standard Mannlicher-Berthier clip.

I understand some RSC 1917 rifles were also converted to use the standard five round Mannlicher clip when
rechambered for the M1932 cartridge - any additional information ?

Original clip is very rare4769947700

The special clip for the Mlle 1917 and the use of the Mannlicher-Berthier clip in the Mlle 1918 is actually discussed in detail in the video. They had more trouble getting a clip to use in the rifle demonstration than the rifle itself.

French rifles marked for the Ball N round adopted in 1932 had the neck area of the chamber bored out a bit as the Balle N cartridge had a slightly larger neck diameter. it was also loaded to significantly higher chamber pressures than the earlier Balle D, and the rifle used in the film is so marked with an "N" stamped on top of both the barrel and receiver If the receiver and barrel do not have the "N" it is considered unsafe for the later Balle N round if you can chamber it. Balle M and D can, however be fired in a rifle marked for Balle N.

A lot of the more unusual rifles they use are in these videos are in rough shape and since they don't do a video on a weapon that can not be fired this requirement can slow down the works. It took a lot of gun-smithing to get the Mlle 1917 they used in the video into firing condition. The same is true for the Russian Winchester Model 95 which had taken some real damage during its life. They sometimes use a disclaimer that problems with a rifle they are demonstrating may not have existed when the weapon was new. They make a point of that about some issues they had with the Rooskie Model 95 for example.

Art
05-16-2020, 09:03
Significant factual correction made in my above post re: Balle N 1932 ammunition.