PDA

View Full Version : My dad’s watch

Fred
05-18-2020, 12:23
Here’s my dad’s watch that he wore as a pilot in the U.S. Navy flying in the Pacific during World War II.

The watch belonged to my dad, Richard Holman Gaarde. He was a Navy Pilot in the Pacific in World War II. Later, he wore the watch in the Korean War. Dad flew PBY's and sometimes whatever else he was qualified on. He was wearing that watch when, while flying a PBY one time, a strafing burst of fire from a Japanese aircraft cut the head off of his copilot. Dad said he had to fly the PBY while trying to kick his buddy's head out from under his feet where it was rolling around and interfering with the foot controls, all while the blood kept pumping out of the man's body all over the place until his heart finally just quit pumping. I guess at some point dad was able to remove the stiffening hands of his copilot off of the other wheel and continue on with the mission. I think it probably must’ve been the navigator and the radio man who came forward and removed the copilot’s body and head because the two side gunners no doubt were pretty busy at that time. That's the kind of scenario the watch must've sometimes bore witness to. The watch was a gift to my dad upon receiving his Navy Commission from a friend of his father just before or during WW II. My dad's dad, Dr.Frederick William Gaarde Sr, was a doctor at the Mayo Clinic and so was my dad's brother, Dr. Frederick William Gaarde II. The friend of my grandfather who gave dad the watch was also a doctor at the Mayo Clinic. But it seems that dad just wanted to fly, so he broke with the family tradition of becoming a doctor.
The watch is the 33rd one made in the series, which is rare in itself today.
made by Gallet in Switzerland who has been making time pieces for 555 years.
I believe dad learned to fly in old WWI biplanes in 1938 or 1939.

dryheat
05-18-2020, 12:28
Thanks for the story and a view of the watch.

Fred
05-18-2020, 12:44
I cant remember my dad ever smiling or laughing. He did have a dry sense of humor though, like me.
I was watching The recent movie, Midway the other day. It convey’s a bit of what the US Navy was doing in the Pacific theater of operations.
Click on the link below for a teaser of the movie.

https://youtu.be/l9laReRAYFk

Art
05-18-2020, 02:21
Beautiful watch, great piece of history. Does the watch run?

There is a great book on the Air War in the Pacific called "Fire in the Sky." You might find it interesting.

We saw Midway, while it has some flaws, as all movies do, it's an excellent introduction to the early stages of the Pacific War and certainly better than the Charleton Heston version from the 1970s.

Thanks for posting.

Fred
05-18-2020, 02:37
Thanks Art! It sure does run.
i recently got it back from Gallet’s service department where it received a Museum Service. That took about 18 months turnaround time.

lyman
05-18-2020, 07:34
great story , and a mighty fine watch

Fred
05-18-2020, 07:43
Thanks for the story and a view of the watch.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

great story , and a mighty fine watch
Thanks!

bdm
05-19-2020, 11:55
Thank You so much for posting this history from The Great Generation

Fred
05-20-2020, 03:41
Thank You so much for posting this history from The Great Generation

Thank YOU

rayg