PDA

View Full Version : Gun oil and solvent cans (Old) are semi-collectible .Also rimfire,CF: Ammo boxes

SUPERX-M1
05-20-2020, 06:56
I have some from the 1950's and might be worth $10 @. If you go to the trouble of trying to sell.

There are collectors of auto related items including oil cans.

I remember an oil can that was round cardboard with metal ends- Valvoline , I think.

Johnny P
05-20-2020, 10:18
Many years ago I had a great uncle that had a country store that carried a little of just about everything. I remember him having a large square tank of motor oil with a pump that had a stop on it to give you exactly one quart of oil. The oil was pumped into glass quart bottles that had a screw on top with a spout for pouring. He had a wire carrier that held six or eight quarts of oil ready for the next customer.

He also had a tank of kerosene that had the same type hand pump with swing out stops to give you the exact amount of kerosene you wanted.

lyman
05-20-2020, 10:58
most oil was in cardboard round quarts with metal ends when I started driving, (1979),

and I still have on of the opener/spouts somewhere in the garage

togor
05-20-2020, 06:51
I have a half can of WW2 GI bore cleaner, the little can that will fit in the cartridge belt. Made by Johnson Wax, it has the stinky smell of old style magic markers.

I doubt it's worth anything but the smell is a reminder of old days.