PDA

View Full Version : So If There Is A Vaccine....

togor
05-21-2020, 05:48
...will people take it?

I for one will want to see objective evidence that the risk is low of some kind of complication. But generally I am pro-vaccine.

I hear of a strong anti-vax movement brewing but I wonder if it will have legs, given the obvious advantages of disease resistance. Still with 60% the threshold for herd immunity, some will refuse the vaccine and stand by that choice and come through okay.

Tuna
05-21-2020, 06:47
People playing Russian roulette. Just like those who don't get a flu shot. If one of them gets the flu it usually turns out to be a bad case of it and can lead to death. Same thing with the Corona 19. Pistol just keeps going click BUT somewhere along the line its gone to go bang.

bruce
05-21-2020, 07:22
When the Polio vaccine first was introduced, early attempts used a live virus. Sadly, there were some instances where that led to infections. The overwhelming vast majority of people were not harmed but rather benefited. A dead virus was later used with great success. The potential of infection w/ the early version of the virus was far outweighed by the protection it afforded to the public. Very likely the same procedure will be followed with any vaccine for Corona19. Potentially early vaccines may possibly pose risk(s) to some. But, those risk(s) will be outweighed by the protection afforded to the public.

I for one will almost certainly be found standing in line for a Covid19 vaccine just as soon as it is available. If a better vaccine becomes available, I'll find my place in that line. What i will not do is sit back and wait for an absolute perfectly reliable infallible vaccine to be developed. It is not unlike the change over from black powder and corrosive primers to smokeless powder and non-corrosive primers. The old powder/primers were not ineffective. They were far better than sticks and stones. But, the new powder and primers were such a dramatic improvement as they were simply superior. Given an opportunity to choose, the public voted with their feet and their money. The old powder/primers became relics, the new powder/primers are the best currently available. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Johnny P
05-21-2020, 10:40
So If There Is a Vaccine... How could there be any doubt after reading this Letter to the Editor? Could there be any doubt as to his party affiliation?

https://i.postimg.cc/g0HJKcKL/VP1.jpg

clintonhater
05-21-2020, 10:45
Could there be any doubt as to his party affiliation?

Could there be any doubt as to the Editor's affiliation?

togor
05-21-2020, 01:05
Interesting theory there, Mr. "Ralph E. Williams". Why the middle initial? Seems suspiciously specific, like a made-up name would. Anyways, more far-fetched theories have come out of the WH itself so we may never know if it's true or not.

Johnny P
05-21-2020, 01:28
Could there be any doubt as to the Editor's affiliation?

The editor didn't write it, only printed it. It was written by a local that is a regular in the Letters to the Editor, and normally shows just about that IQ level.

Actually the paper has more guest columnists that are left leaning than right. Froma Harrop is a regular.

Johnny P
05-21-2020, 01:35
Interesting theory there, Mr. "Ralph E. Williams". Why the middle initial? Seems suspiciously specific, like a made-up name would. Anyways, more far-fetched theories have come out of the WH itself so we may never know if it's true or not.

Nope. The guy is a local from a small community, and is a regular contributor to the Letter to the Editor page, though split about 50/50 on politics and religion. He doesn't have to hide behind some made up forum name/s.

I can see why you would want to deny him though. Fantasy rejection of reality of the typical Trump hater.

Major Tom
05-21-2020, 01:53
Yes, there is an effective vaccine right now! If elected, Biden will introduce it after Jan. 20, 2021.

togor
05-21-2020, 05:20
Yes, there is an effective vaccine right now! If elected, Biden will introduce it after Jan. 20, 2021.

There you go!

clintonhater
05-21-2020, 06:02
The guy is a local from a small community, and is a regular contributor to the Letter to the Editor page,

"Regular contributors" to small-time rags are generally crack-pots; I always see the same names & crack-pots opinions in my local rag. Except this crack-pot is so far into the lunatic-fringe that he makes a special case.

m1ashooter
05-22-2020, 09:17
I'll get in line for a vaccine also. I want to go on a cruise .

Carbine64
05-22-2020, 10:07
I will get in line to get it.With my job working with all ages who sometimes show up sick you bet I will get one.Last year I had Whooping cough and it was a half of year of coughing.