PDA

View Full Version : Hunting this year

jon_norstog
05-28-2020, 09:00
Well looks like I'll get in another season! Idaho jacked up it's nonresident tag fees by 50% this year, they had to do it 'cause the legislature passed a bill increasing the share of resident tags without making up the resulting loss of F&G funds. I missed getting an elk tag last year 'cause they sold out early, so I ended up hunting grouse and helping my brother.

This year I put in for the Oregon elk draw. If you look hard enough you can find out the statistics on how many applications there are in each unit. You get to pick five units to draw for. This year I chose a unit with an "any elk" season as first choice and the next four were units with low numbers of applicants.

As far as Idaho, I haven't decided whether to go for the tag or just scout and move the animals for my brother.

So the rifles for the hunt will be the carbine-length Krag or if it's in open country I have a VERY accurate 7 mag on a Kar-98 action. The Idaho winter hunt is for muzzle loaders and I'd have to get one. The "New Traditions" .50 cal like my brother uses works pretty well, long as you stick to black powder and musket caps.

75 YO and still hunting on foot!

jn

togor
05-28-2020, 10:23
Good for your brother!

Read once as a young guy that if you lose your legs it's very hard to get them back. Tried to take that to heart.

bruce
05-28-2020, 10:35
Legs. Without them, you aren't going far from the road! Good hunting! Sincerely. bruce.

RED
05-28-2020, 11:45
Unless you are trying to recreate what our ancesters hunted with, a inline muzzle loader using shot gun primers is the ticket. They are much, much, easier to clean and 100% reliable,

BudT
05-28-2020, 07:28
Good luck to you Jon. Ya they messed around with the nonresidents tags some. I had a controlled hunt late cow elk tag last season, I wont do that again. I bought my general elk and still don't know where to hunt. I did find some goats out in 46/desert last season and some real nice bucks but the tags are tough to draw, I did put in and we'll see.
Regards
Bud

Ken The Kanuck
05-28-2020, 09:50
Have a great hunt Jon, as you well know killing isn't only reason to hunt.

jon_norstog
05-29-2020, 08:53
Unless you are trying to recreate what our ancesters hunted with, a inline muzzle loader using shot gun primers is the ticket. They are much, much, easier to clean and 100% reliable,

Red, Oregon, Washington and Idaho all have the same rules for muzzle loaders. Here they are.

LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS

A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:

Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
Is free of any electronic devices.
Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

As I read them you could use a milsurp rifled musket long as you could find one you wanted to drag through the brush.

jn

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I'm lucky to be able to do this, and luckier still to have family to go out with. Life is sweet!

jn

kj47
05-29-2020, 09:00
Exactly what a muzzle loader should be.

Vern Humphrey
05-30-2020, 04:03
Well looks like I'll get in another season! Idaho jacked up it's nonresident tag fees by 50% this year, they had to do it 'cause the legislature passed a bill increasing the share of resident tags without making up the resulting loss of F&G funds. I missed getting an elk tag last year 'cause they sold out early, so I ended up hunting grouse and helping my brother.

This year I put in for the Oregon elk draw. If you look hard enough you can find out the statistics on how many applications there are in each unit. You get to pick five units to draw for. This year I chose a unit with an "any elk" season as first choice and the next four were units with low numbers of applicants.

As far as Idaho, I haven't decided whether to go for the tag or just scout and move the animals for my brother.

So the rifles for the hunt will be the carbine-length Krag or if it's in open country I have a VERY accurate 7 mag on a Kar-98 action. The Idaho winter hunt is for muzzle loaders and I'd have to get one. The "New Traditions" .50 cal like my brother uses works pretty well, long as you stick to black powder and musket caps.

75 YO and still hunting on foot!

jn

Good luck.

I don't know if you can still find them, but I have a Lyman Deerslayer CARBINE. I chose the carbine because it has a 1 in 28 twist. I shoot a 400 grain Minnie ball, and it has flattened everything I've ever pointed it at.

PeteDavis
05-31-2020, 06:30
That sounds like an exciting prospect. Look forward to updates!

Pete Davis

jon_norstog
05-31-2020, 08:26
That sounds like an exciting prospect. Look forward to updates!

Pete Davis

Looks like the results of the Oregon draw will be out by June 20. Unless they aren't. As for Idaho, the area we've been hunting last 4 seasons is in the breaks above the North Fork Clearwater River. It is really steep, 100% grade or more mostly, with old, closed logging roads running along like contour lines, maybe 1/4 miles apart. It is too steep for the wolves, at least when there is snow on the ground. Last year there was no snow! First week in December and no snow.

jn

PeteDavis
05-31-2020, 08:34
Reckon I'd be shed hunting those roads!

PD