PDA

View Full Version : Any Galil owners here ?

blackhawknj
08-12-2020, 05:08
My shooting friends kid me about not owning a 5.56 despite having carried one for Uncle Sam, and I joke my home defense/civil unrest combo is my Marlin Camp Carbine 45 in my hands and my AMT Hardballer or Colt Mk IV on my belt. In the event I might need something with a little more reach I have been looking at the Galil in 5.56. As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-I prefer the feel of steel and I like my firearms to have a little heft to them.

jmm03
08-17-2020, 11:54
Although I can probably arm half the block already, the Galil in 7,62 would be nice to have if it wasn't banned here in the peoples republik... (oh wait, I already have a FAL...) As a fellow member of the neander era I agree that firearms should be made of steel and wood, but there is nothing wrong with polymer if that's all you got. It is always good to have the neighborhood ranged... Jim

barretcreek
08-17-2020, 01:39
https://salidagunshop.com/rifles/used-fn-herstal-belgium-m-249s-5-56-nato-semi-auto-machine-gun-stock-20692

Check your IRA.

Art
08-17-2020, 03:45
I flirted with one in 7.62x39mm. It seems quite a nice gun, equivalent to the current Russian issue AK 12 in in most respects. Countries that use AK rifles already for their militaries are upgrading to it (if they can afford it) because it will use their current ammunition, AK magazines and accessories and not render their older weapons obsolete. Vietnam now has the Galil Ace in 7.62x39mm as their standard rifle.

The good news is almost every wrinkle you might not like in an AK seems to have been ironed out in this version.

The bad news is the drive out cost is, now, around $2,000.00. Some reviews also said commercial polymer magazine compatibility might not be 100% in civilian versions, at least in 7.62x39mm. Availability is hit and miss.

lyman
08-27-2020, 08:02
at one time, here in the US,

the top of the line AK platform was a Valmet,

2nd in line was the Galil,

since Valmets are no longer imported, (and from what a source I have tells me, never will be again) not sure if Galil moves to the top spot,

heard some good and bad on the ACE and new stuff, (nothing horrible, just not as good as the older models, )