PDA

View Full Version : Painted magazine

Liam
08-17-2020, 10:06
The magazine on my newly-acquired SMLE had that black paint splashed unevenly on it. Pretty sure it's not supposed to be painted, so I stripped it of the paint and cold blued it. However, whatever they used to solder is brass-looking and the blue won't stick to it. What other way, besides painting, can I get a blued look throughout?

gwp
08-17-2020, 11:50
You might try a brass darking soulution.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Co-Brass-Bronze-Solution/dp/B005TRO276

JB White
08-17-2020, 03:17
Just paint it black. Not uncommon.

Merc
08-17-2020, 05:15
The mag and other metal parts on my 1944 No. 4 Mk 1* were originally brush painted with a flat black paint. JB explained that it was called Suncorite and was very toxic stuff. Nearly all of it had worn away by the time I bought the rifle several years ago. The mag was stamped from sheet metal and wasn’t brazed.

JB White
08-18-2020, 11:52
Merc, Suncorite is tough as nails and dries to a somewhat shiney finish. Think black pipe. Commonly used in fire sprinkler systems. That is a version of Suncorite.

What is often found is the paint put on in service outside the direct control of the British military. What is very common to find is the paint applied in India. It has been said they painted from a puddle using a dirty mop. :)

lyman
08-18-2020, 07:04
Merc, Suncorite is tough as nails and dries to a somewhat shiney finish. Think black pipe. Commonly used in fire sprinkler systems. That is a version of Suncorite.

What is often found is the paint put on in service outside the direct control of the British military. What is very common to find is the paint applied in India. It has been said they painted from a puddle using a dirty mop. :)

a very accurate description of the RFI methods JB!!

Merc
08-19-2020, 10:58
My No. 4 was made in the US by Savage. Would they have used Suncorite? I don’t remember it being shiny but much of it was worn away by the time I acquired the rifle. What was left on the mag and receiver wasn’t easily removed like regular paint.

JB White
08-20-2020, 07:07
Savage used a finish called Dulite. It may have looked old and worn through but willing to bet it was still there doing its job. With numerous issuings and varieties of service it encountered since, its hard to say what you might have before you now.

Is it possible to post some photos?

Liam
08-21-2020, 07:43
I wanted a specimen that would shoot. This one will. A hodge-podge of parts - mismatched furniture, early magazine cut-off, rear sight with windage adjustment, fairly new S. African barrel and marks. New to Enfields, so look forward to learning more about them. Just the ticket to keep me engaged in something enjoyable during this pandemic.EDIT: Oh, and I painted the magazine with flat enamel paint. Good enough for now.

Merc
08-21-2020, 11:00
Savage used a finish called Dulite. It may have looked old and worn through but willing to bet it was still there doing its job. With numerous issuings and varieties of service it encountered since, its hard to say what you might have before you now.

Is it possible to post some photos?

I looked around the Internet and found a site that had a pistol for sale with a Dulite finish. Another site called it Dulite Black Oxide and still another called it Du-Lite Bluing. The pistol’s finish was flat black but it looked more like a chemical treatment like bluing and not a thick brushed-on finish like the mag on my No. 4 originally had. Since most of the mags original finish was gone, I removed what little was left and applied cold bluing.

I kinda think my 1944 No. 4 had an extended career far beyond WW2. The Canadians may have overhauled it in the early 1950s and it went on serving in some way for many years, possibly in Canada. I bought it from the estate of a past commander of an American Legion post. I don’t shoot it very often because the throat is missing about a quarter inch of its rifling. I temporarily mounted a bolt-on scope and actually hit dead center bulls eye with it. I’d like to think it was more skill than luck. The missing rifling has not had much of an effect on its accuracy.

JB White
08-22-2020, 06:08
Merc, if it ain't broke then don't "fix" it! :)

Liam, from what I saw while glancing over your pics it looks to me as though you have a BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) rifle. What we call a commercial version. BSA was a prime contractor to the MoD and was not a Royal Ordnance Factory.
In addition to contract manufacturing for the British government, they also made rifles for foreign contract and civilian sales. You have one of those! :)

Merc
08-22-2020, 03:27
The bolt-on scope mount for my Enfield No. 4 was manufactured in Ontario by Addley Precision. No drilling needed.

JB White
08-22-2020, 10:59
Did you need to replace the rear sight? Just curious.

Merc
08-23-2020, 01:06
https://addleyprecision.com/product/le4p-scope-mount-package/

No, all I needed to do was remove the rear sight and ejector screw and substitute the screws that were provided. I put the scope on knowing that I didn’t need to do anything permanent to the receiver. I might put the scope back on just for fun.

JB White
08-23-2020, 03:20
OK....but the rear sight went back on to serve as a backup to the glass?

Can't remember whether you had a ladder variant or the L-flip. I know the ladder won't work but that mount is supposed to accept a flip sight. Correct??

JB White
08-24-2020, 05:18
We're kind of going off on a tangent to the point of hijacking this thread. In all fairness, I would like to see more of Liam's BSA rifle.

Merc
08-24-2020, 06:21
We're kind of going off on a tangent to the point of hijacking this thread. In all fairness, I would like to see more of Liam's BSA rifle.

I agree. I’ll post photos, etc. on a separate thread.