PDA

View Full Version : Update on vehicle hunt

S.A. Boggs
08-30-2020, 05:23
Last three months daughter and I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for her Grand Wagoneer with no luck. Book value and what the dealer's are asking is just too high. Dealer's "blame" it on CV-19 so we have kept looking. She is also drawn to bells and whistles instead of longevity. The new Jeep's just don't cut it for me, so I am giving her the use of my F-150. To replace it I am looking @ several F-250 and one has caught my eye...a 5.7 Diesel. Best of all it is about 7 grand lower then book! It is an 11 and in good shape, needs more aggressive ties thou. As soon as my mechanic can take a look at it I am going to drop it off for a look see. He charges $50 for a thorough inspection which is reasonable.
Sam

lyman
08-30-2020, 07:47
don't know anyone in the car biz anymore, but imagine the market it a bit tight since not that many 20's were built,

friend did tell me that if you wanted a new Vette, order today and delivery sometime in the fall,, of 2021

- - - Updated - - -

meanwhile

how about one of these

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1993-toyota-70-series-land-cruiser/

Sako
08-30-2020, 09:04
Last three months daughter and I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for her Grand Wagoneer with no luck. Book value and what the dealer's are asking is just too high. Dealer's "blame" it on CV-19 so we have kept looking. She is also drawn to bells and whistles instead of longevity. The new Jeep's just don't cut it for me, so I am giving her the use of my F-150. To replace it I am looking @ several F-250 and one has caught my eye...a 5.7 Diesel. Best of all it is about 7 grand lower then book! It is an 11 and in good shape, needs more aggressive ties thou. As soon as my mechanic can take a look at it I am going to drop it off for a look see. He charges $50 for a thorough inspection which is reasonable.
Sam

Be real careful buying a used ford diesel, I don't remember the size but Ford has a diesel engine that is only good for about 80 thousand miles. Its only about 16000 dollars to replace the engine.

S.A. Boggs
08-31-2020, 01:29
Be real careful buying a used ford diesel, I don't remember the size but Ford has a diesel engine that is only good for about 80 thousand miles. Its only about 16000 dollars to replace the engine.

Before I buy anything I research what is wrong with it and then decide if the pro's outweigh the con's.
Sam

Major Tom
08-31-2020, 05:51
Don't be ordering a 2020 Corvette! The new mid engine Vette has a lot of teething problems. :-)

SUPERX-M1
08-31-2020, 06:07
Don't be ordering a 2020 Corvette! The new mid engine Vette has a lot of teething problems. :-)

Dont know the reality, but many warn that the more modern corvettes have complex problems and maintenance is expensive. You would have to be insane or wealthy to have any exotic, new or old. Put a few miles on or dont do req maintenance (very expensive) and resale price, it is said, drops off that proverbial cliff.

togor
08-31-2020, 06:15
I cannot imagine the Corvette makes money for GM, at any price.

Gun Smoke
08-31-2020, 09:27

It's mainly the 6.0 engine and it's not the engine it's a host of things on the engine like injectors and such. This is not a Ford engine. I don't know why they replaced their perfectly good 7.3 International diesel with this but they did.

Replacing the known parts that fail with updated aftermarket parts is referred to as "bullet proofing".

I hear the newer Ford 6.4 is much better but personally I wouldn't buy anyones diesel.

Diesels, no matter how good or bad have diesel inherit problems.

1. Two batteries to maintain and a minimum RPM is required for a diesel to start. So batteries have to always be fresh.
2. Oil changes. Due to all the carbon in diesel fuel the engine oil darkens quickly and changing it is more crucial than gas engines. Diesels hold more oil (probably 8-9 quarts on a small truck engine). Diesels usually take larger filters too so not all "quick lube" places will have them in stock. Also need to use diesel grade oils.
3. Cold weather starting. Diesels fire under their own compression. Cold engines with cold fuel don't like to fire off. Some have glow plugs. Some have engine heaters that have to be plugged in to an AC current source overnight. Simple glow plug technology works well but leave it to Detroit to screw that up too. I know GM uses a computer to control the GP circuitry. These computers constantly malfunction. When they do---no start till the heat of the day warms everything up.
4. It's not so much a problem these days but in the older days diesel could only be purchased at truck stops. Still not all stations carry diesel. If she were traveling this could be a problem.
5. Air in the line. This can be caused by a number of things such as the position of the filter/water separator or if you let your fuel tanks run low. Diesel foams from vibration causing air in the fuel. This is similar to the old cars having vapor lock. On a diesel the fuel pump/injector pump has to be bled of the air and sometimes each injector. Not fun, and remember you can't crank on it a lot because you have to maintain a near full charge on those batteries for a diesel to fire under it's on compression (minimum required RPM).
6. Water in the fuel. Small amounts of water in gasoline are mixed due to the ethanol now in most gasoline. Diesels, since they fire under their own compression have super high compression ratio's like 22 to 1 vs 9 to 1 on a gas eng. so the combustion chamber space is tiny. A small amount of water (water doesn't compress) will destroy a diesel engine bending rods, shattering pistons and breaking the starter armature. Sometimes you get off lightly with just a blown head gasket (still a major repair). Most all diesels have water separators that work fairly well but they have their limits and have to be checked and bled off routinely. Something else your daughter may not get "into".
7. All parts unique to diesel's are more expensive.
8. All service unique to a diesel is more expensive and fewer mechanics are qualified for such work.

It use to be that selling points to buying a diesel was the extra engine life and lower cost of the fuel. That's not so much the case any longer.

I've noticed on craigslist and used car listings that while diesels cost way more new they sell for less than their gasoline cousins used with the same milage/condition (especially GM). There's a reason for that.

Do not compare industrial diesel engines found on large trucks and farm tractors to automotive diesels.

S.A. Boggs
08-31-2020, 10:53
It's mainly the 6.0 engine and it's not the engine it's a host of things on the engine like injectors and such. This is not a Ford engine. I don't know why they replaced their perfectly good 7.3 International diesel with this but they did.

Replacing the known parts that fail with updated aftermarket parts is referred to as "bullet proofing".

I hear the newer Ford 6.4 is much better but personally I wouldn't buy anyones diesel.

Diesels, no matter how good or bad have diesel inherit problems.

1. Two batteries to maintain and a minimum RPM is required for a diesel to start. So batteries have to always be fresh.
2. Oil changes. Due to all the carbon in diesel fuel the engine oil darkens quickly and changing it is more crucial than gas engines. Diesels hold more oil (probably 8-9 quarts on a small truck engine). Diesels usually take larger filters too so not all "quick lube" places will have them in stock. Also need to use diesel grade oils.
3. Cold weather starting. Diesels fire under their own compression. Cold engines with cold fuel don't like to fire off. Some have glow plugs. Some have engine heaters that have to be plugged in to an AC current source overnight. Simple glow plug technology works well but leave it to Detroit to screw that up too. I know GM uses a computer to control the GP circuitry. These computers constantly malfunction. When they do---no start till the heat of the day warms everything up.
4. It's not so much a problem these days but in the older days diesel could only be purchased at truck stops. Still not all stations carry diesel. If she were traveling this could be a problem.
5. Air in the line. This can be caused by a number of things such as the position of the filter/water separator or if you let your fuel tanks run low. Diesel foams from vibration causing air in the fuel. This is similar to the old cars having vapor lock. On a diesel the fuel pump/injector pump has to be bled of the air and sometimes each injector. Not fun, and remember you can't crank on it a lot because you to maintain a near full charge on those batteries for a diesel to fire under it's on compression (minimum required RPM).
6. Water in the fuel. Small amounts of water in gasoline are mixed due to the ethanol now in most gasoline. Diesels, since they fire under their own compression have super high compression ratio's like 22 to 1 vs 9 to 1 of a gas eng. so the combustion chamber space is tiny. A small amount of water (water doesn't compress) will destroy a diesel engine bending rods, shattering pistons and breaking the starter armature. Most all diesels have water separators that work fairly well but they have their limits and have to be checked and bled off routinely. Something else your daughter may not get "into".
7. All parts unique to diesel's are more expensive.
8. All service unique to a diesel is more expensive and fewer mechanics are qualified for such work.

It use to be that selling points to buying a diesel was the extra engine life and lower cost of the fuel. That's not so much the case any longer.

I've noticed on craigslist and used car listings that while diesels cost way more new they sell for less than their gasoline cousins used with the same milage/condition (especially GM). There's a reason for that.

Have taken this in consideration as opposed to gasoline.
My mechanic can work on just about anything that he sets his mind to AND is quite reasonable.
I have a lifetime [tks to my wife] discount card @ Wal-Mart so my consumables are somewhat cheaper in this regard.
I am still looking for my "perfect" deal regarding a replacement truck.
Sam

Gun Smoke
08-31-2020, 11:17
Last three months daughter and I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for her Grand Wagoneer with no luck. Book value and what the dealer's are asking is just too high. Dealer's "blame" it on CV-19 so we have kept looking.

CV-19 has impacted new car production which has a trickle down affect on used car/truck availability but mostly what I'm seeing is that with so many on unemployment compensation now plus the extra $600 a week some are temporarily rolling in cash. Those that aren't buying that "long sought after 75" TV" are buying up used cars. I've seen many used car lots go from having 2 or 3 dozen cars go down to near zero.

The $600 extra per week has now ended and may be replaced with Trumps $300 per week (or not) so the availability and prices should slowly start to return as people realize they may have to go back to work some day and not get paid to do nothing.

Good luck---keep us posted.

S.A. Boggs
08-31-2020, 12:49

When our son was 5 I was looking at a Red Vette @ the dealer. My son pulled on my hand and said that it was not a Daddy's car! Kidded with my wife recently that I saw a 76 Vette and thought about getting it, she reminded me of what my son said so long ago.
I also seriously thought of a Humvee.
Sam

SUPERX-M1
08-31-2020, 01:27
Diesel: Urea injection more money. Farm tractors, at least 40hp ,must have urea for a few years now. The 40 hp uses one battery.BIL hates the clatter and noise on the 40hp. Older, smaller farm eq used gas. Fuel economy costs on farm , torque, longevity touted as reasons for diesel. Usually, cant get gas engine.

Molds, fungus can grow in fuel and water a problem.

Surprised at lower cost for diesel truck when used.

Gun Smoke
09-01-2020, 08:15
Diesel: Urea injection more money. Farm tractors, at least 40hp ,must have urea for a few years now. The 40 hp uses one battery.BIL hates the clatter and noise on the 40hp. Older, smaller farm eq used gas. Fuel economy costs on farm , torque, longevity touted as reasons for diesel. Usually, cant get gas engine.

Molds, fungus can grow in fuel and water a problem.

Surprised at lower cost for diesel truck when used.

Like I said. Don't compare industrial diesels to automotive diesels.

View diesel pickups on craigslist (3/4 ton and 1 ton) and you will see they are in abundance and cheaper. Then compare what these trucks cost new.

Yes most big trucks and farm tractors do take one large battery. They were built as a diesel from scratch. HD pickups come with gas or diesel versions so the battery tray is the same, just an additional one for a diesel.

Most diesel pickups give a slew of problems especially over 100K miles. Dodge may be the best and has higher resale (6 cyl Cummings) but are not exempt.

Look up the reviews/problems/complaints on line.

S.A. Boggs
09-07-2020, 01:50
Right now in my area there are not many P/U to choose from and I am not buying new at what they want.
Sam

dryheat
09-07-2020, 11:57
Gun Smoke you seem to be a wealth of information about diesels. Glad to hear that used cars are hot. I want to get rid of this Ford Edge. Most awful car I've ever bought. I think some parts are made of soy.

Gun Smoke
09-08-2020, 04:16
Gun Smoke you seem to be a wealth of information about diesels. Glad to hear that used cars are hot. I want to get rid of this Ford Edge. Most awful car I've ever bought. I think some parts are made of soy.

I would do it soon.

What makes the used car market hot is the stimulus money, not just the $1200ea but the extra $600 a week added to unemployment compensation benefits. That's drying up and the market may go back the other way. The sellers market will soon become a buyers market.

Right now people are driving more. Very few are flying for all the obvious reasons. You may have noticed an increase in the labor day traffic this year compared to previous years.

If things keep going in the current direction I'm afraid we are due for another recession shortly after election regardless of who wins. Even if the U.S. economy recovers quickly the rest of the world is still sagging.

Sam may come across a much better buy if he waits a few months.

Major Tom
09-08-2020, 05:50
When our son was 5 I was looking at a Red Vette @ the dealer. My son pulled on my hand and said that it was not a Daddy's car! Kidded with my wife recently that I saw a 76 Vette and thought about getting it, she reminded me of what my son said so long ago.
I also seriously thought of a Humvee.
Sam

Sam, I once owned 2 new Corvettes. A 1977 (grossly underpowered) and a 1986, both coupes. What made me not want another one was the fact I had a hard time getting into and out of them! :-(

Gun Smoke
09-08-2020, 06:51
Sam, I once owned 2 new Corvettes. A 1977 (grossly underpowered) and a 1986, both coupes. What made me not want another one was the fact I had a hard time getting into and out of them! :-(

I use to be a service writer (service advisor) at a local Chevrolet dealer back in the 80's. It was interesting to see the ladies with short skirts wrestle to get out of a Corvette.

jon_norstog
09-08-2020, 12:05
Diesel: ... Surprised at lower cost for diesel truck when used.

I was a diesel engineman in the Coast Guard, and learned a lot about them, including you absolutely HAVE to do your maintenance. What I told my son: "Never buy a diesel vehicle used. There is a reason they are selling it off."

jn

S.A. Boggs
09-08-2020, 02:30
Sold my Grand Cherokee this afternoon and deposited the money into the bank. Looked at some trucks today, nothing spectacular to speak of. I am staying away from the diesel's due to what other's have told me about them and often LACK OF MAINTANCE.
Sam

Hal O'Peridol
09-09-2020, 10:36
I've got a diesel for sale. Tried and true. Spent most of it's time at Camp Hunter-Ligget in Cal, so pretty rust free.

A litttle old, no real electronics to worry about. Hardened electrical system.48151

S.A. Boggs
09-10-2020, 05:45
Hal Old Boy, glad to hear from you! Hopefully you are O.K. in your A.O.
Tried the Humvee route, the Boss turned down my idea as I would never be at the cabin.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
09-14-2020, 10:00
Finally our daughter picked out a replacement for her Jeep, a FORD AWD Edge. It is a 2013 with 127,000 miles and has a clean hx. Many of the vehicles we have looked at within a 100 mile radius were either overpriced of worn out junk. We have to have 4x4 so this left us with little choice to pick from. My mechanic gave thumbs down on many that I referred to him as having major problems. One truck i liked [diesel] was not cost affective for the long haul and more then what we would need.
The tires are in good shape but I am going to upgrade them for winter use and then switch back in the spring. She picks up her vehicle at 1600 today and now has to name it.
Sam

Gun Smoke
09-14-2020, 10:43
Glad she found something. Good luck with it.

lyman
09-15-2020, 11:50
I had a Ford Edge (2016 or 17) for a rental after a goober totaled my last Cooper S,

decent and comfortable ride,
buddy and I took it up to DC for a concert , good on the highway, and good around town

thought the mileage would be better, for but a decent sized SUV, V6 and AWD, it was not bad (low 20's IIRC)

S.A. Boggs
09-16-2020, 02:14
Our daughter will do less the 1,000 miles per month, mainly going back and forth to work. Checking on grabber tires now for winter and to be ready before the cold hits. Flushing the radiator and getting it ready for minus 40F and all filters changed.
Sam