PDA

View Full Version : Experimental RRB, not 1884.

Carlsr
08-31-2020, 12:31
I have been reading in Al's book 1 and Dick's book more 45/70's along with Al's news letters.
Trying to reaserch a Rod bayonet rifle with a serial number in 334,000 range. There is mention of a third rod bayonet with a different locking mechanism for the bayonet. There is however no mention of what the serial numbers may be but that they could be cartouches either 1888 or 1889. Woul anyone know what the serial numbers may be on these rifles?

Dick Hosmer
08-31-2020, 12:57
The easiest way to tell (assuming you have already completely eliminated it being an 84XRBB - the number is really too high for that) is from the rod itself. If the rod and catch are EXACTLY like an 88RB, then you simply have an out-of-sequence receiver, which was not that uncommon. If the rod IS really different, and they are much more similar to an 88 than the 84 as there is no bevel, then you MIGHT have one of the "transitional" pieces of which VERY VERY little is known, beyond that they somehow exist - apparently in minuscule numbers. Al's info/presentation is much better than mine in this case. I don't know the serial number(s), but would expect something in high 400X range. I think you most likely have a normal 88.

Carlsr
08-31-2020, 01:28
I am waiting for closer pics of the rod latch and also a clearer picture of the cartouche as I can't make out the full date.
Assuming it may be one of the experimental 88's but then again my luck is not that good would it have a one or two piece trigger guard. Just something I didn't see mentioned.
Thanks Dick!!

Dick Hosmer
08-31-2020, 08:43
If, as I suspect, it is an out-of-order 88, then one-piece. If it turns out to have a two-piece, the plot would thicken, I suppose. The rod is VERY close to an 88, not at all like the 84XRRB. I have never seen pictures, or a precise description, of what makes the latch "different". I'm guessing the difference may be VERY slight.

Carlsr
09-01-2020, 05:15
Thanks Dick, it does have a 2 piece trigger guard.
As you said it is most likely an M88. The person selling it states that there were only 559 made?? Not sure where that information came from.

Dick Hosmer
09-01-2020, 06:38
That number seems familiar. I believe that is one component of the published 84XRRB two-year split, the other being 441. I think the gun is basically bogus, and the seller is one who only reads, and passes along, that which supports HIS narrative.

Carlsr
09-01-2020, 07:18
Dick, just sent you a message