PDA

View Full Version : forager carbine?

mto7464
09-08-2020, 09:15
Local has a rifles for sale. He had a trapdoor. I thought it was a cut down rilfe but it just had a bead front sight and no rear sight. It has a band on the forend. All the ones I have seen have no front band. I did not look at the bore other then to see if it was shiney, which it was, I was not looking to see if it was smooth. I did think the bore was larger then normal as well. I was just looking at it and did not even know about the forager shotgun. What should I look for when I go back?

Dick Hosmer
09-08-2020, 11:34
Well, the barrel band pretty much disqualifies it, right up front - but other points would be:

(a) s/n LESS than 1350

(b) Wider receiver trough with NO ejector stud (or hole for one).

(c). Block will be marked simply "1881" in italic script.

Merchants such as Sear & Roebuck, and others, marketed 20ga. shotguns modified from standard infantry rifles, I suspect this is what you have.

mto7464
09-08-2020, 12:03
Well, the barrel band pretty much disqualifies it, right up front - but other points would be:

(a) s/n LESS than 1350

(b) Wider receiver trough with NO ejector stud (or hole for one).

(c). Block will be marked simply "1881" in italic script.

Merchants such as Sear & Roebuck, and others, marketed 20ga. shotguns modified from standard infantry rifles, I suspect this is what you have.

Thanks for your input. I figured it was not going to be real. DO you think there is any value to it? MIght be able to get it cheap.

Dick Hosmer
09-08-2020, 01:50
Well, kinda depends on what you think is "cheap"! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Barrels are available, so you might be able to make a fun shooter for yourself, or, the parts can be sold, unless they are buggered. Don't pay more $200, and try for less.

mto7464
09-09-2020, 07:46
that is about the price I was thinking. Maybe part it out. Everything looks pretty good on it.