PDA

View Full Version : New Garand Arrived

Rifleman
10-07-2020, 09:32
I received this last week and assume it is one of the Philippine Garands. 5.8 mil SA in really nice condition. The barrel, op rod, sights and gas cylinder are all marked NM. The front hand guard is unitized to the barrel band, beautiful file work on the front sight and the fit and function of the op rod is way beyond anything I've experienced before.48239

nf1e
10-08-2020, 01:55
Nice looking rifle. Looking forward to a range report.

Major Tom
10-08-2020, 06:27
What makes you think it came from the Phiippines? I always considered those garands to be on par with the Korean ones, that is poorly maintained and overly abused. Yours actually looks great!

Johnny P
10-08-2020, 11:12
All I have seen pictures of were really rough, and needed disassembling and cleaning. Anything that came out clean was going to auction. Doubt yours was a Philippine return.

Rifleman
10-08-2020, 05:08
I was just assuming that anything being shipped right now was probably from there. Yes, it is in wonderful condition, I have had many nice M1's over the years and this is one of the best...thx everyone for your input!

lyman
10-08-2020, 08:20
when you shoot it, and you should, be sure to post pics of the target

Art
10-09-2020, 01:55
The CMP, as I understand it, no longer reveals where they get their rifles.

I've heard lots of stories over the years about crap CMP rifles that turned out to be pretty nice when they actually got into the hands of customers. The M1 carbines were widely reputed to be in rough shape with garbage replacement stocks before they showed up. That turned out to be mostly incorrect and my CMP Inland carbine is the the best looking milsurp I got from them and my situation wasn't unique. It is an excellent "shooter grade" rifle.

My understanding of the P.I. rifles is they run the gamut of salvage for parts to very nice indeed, some actually collector grade. The CMP also repairs a lot of rifles and assembles others from available parts stocks. Our son's "Special Grade" is a very pretty mixmaster with commercial parts like the barrel thrown in. The parts on any given CMP rifle could come from anywhere and that includes the "correct" ones.

All that in mind; I would imagine it is probably not a P.I. rifle just because of the N.M. components.

+1 on seeing the targets.

bruce
10-09-2020, 04:52
Simply beautiful rifle. Look forward to your range report. Data sheet? Sincerely. bruce.

dryheat
10-11-2020, 10:56
That rifle might bring close to $2,000. But I doubt that will happen. Rifle,not a gun.

Rifleman
10-14-2020, 09:37
Sorry guys, I was out of town on vacation for a few days. I'll post a data sheet tomorrow. Did some plinking at the FIL's farm and could tell real quick this is going to be a way above average rifle. I'll try to get a proper range report soon.

Rifleman
10-15-2020, 04:06

bdm
10-23-2020, 11:35
I purchased one of each make M1 Carbine when CMP had them they were really nice not original as issued but very nice for the price they charged you see these same CMP carbines for sale at gun shows for twice the price