PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Mauser

kj47
10-20-2020, 03:37
Dug it out of the safe & took it to the range, shoots well with milserp 30-06. also fired some Rem 220 gr. Now that was a thumper! Cut down stock, paint peeling on barrel.
Thought of giving it a full sporter job but would cost more than its worth so i will keep as is. will keep an eye on head space, right now the bolt closes 1/3 on a go gauge.
Had thought of getting a scope mount that fits on the rear sight. Anybody ever use these?

lyman
10-24-2020, 03:46
I have one for an Enfield and have sold guns with them mounted for a M1CArbine,

all worked well,

kj47
10-25-2020, 03:41
Thanks for the reply. Lyman, I will try one on the mauser. These old eyes need help.

Liam
10-26-2020, 05:56
Mounted one of those scope mounts that requires no drilling/tapping on a Swedish Mauser. You have to use a long eye relief scope on mine (like a pistol scope), but it does work fine for me. Even used the 100+ year old Swede to take some groundhogs.

Sunray
10-26-2020, 10:34
"...on a go gauge..." It should close completely on a Go. And not close completely on a No-Go. Both gauges must be put under the extractor then the bolt gently closed.
Colombian Mausers are 1950's vintage FN K98 Mausers. Have a look here for a scope mount.
https://www.thecountryshed.com/Scope-Mounts_c_7.html

kj47
10-26-2020, 03:40
Meant to say no go gauge. Thanks for the link.

fguffey
10-29-2020, 06:59
"...on a go gauge..." It should close completely on a Go. And not close completely on a No-Go. Both gauges must be put under the extractor then the bolt gently closed.

I am thinking reloaders/smiths never live long enough to learn how to use gages.

I was told reloaders know what the other is saying without using proper terms; I am guessing 1/3 turn is close to .007" over minimum length or .002" beyond a go-gage length chamber. And then there is clearance, clearance is referred to as being head space by reloaders but they all know that.

F. Guffey

bruce
10-29-2020, 07:32
"right now the bolt closes 1/3 on a go gauge." If the bolt does not close on a go-gauge, no common factory produced ammunition would chamber in your rifle. Would expect you intended to write "no-go gauge." With the bolt not closing on a no-go gauge, the rifle is fine for shooting with any SAAMI approved factory ammunition. The "scout scope mount" that fits the rear sight base is a very good option for scoping a otherwise undrilled/tapped military rifle. Will look forward to progress with your rifle. Sincerely. bruce.

fguffey
10-29-2020, 08:37
Meant to say no go gauge. Thanks for the link.

F. Guffey

fguffey
10-29-2020, 08:54
"right now the bolt closes 1/3 on a go gauge." If the bolt does not close on a go-gauge, no common factory produced ammunition would chamber in your rifle.

If the chamber is shorter than a go-gage length chamber the reloader is helpless; but there are a very few reloaders that do not get driven to the curb with this stuff. Again, I have .005" clearance between the case head and bolt face, I understand reloaders do not have a clue about what I am saying. I own 58 chamber reamers, when I cut a chamber I am in control, I have a choice of cutting the chamber go-gage length and I have a choice of cutting a short chamber, between a short chamber and a go-gage length I have 5 choices from .004", .003" .002" or .001". A minimum length length/full length sized case will chamber in all 5 chambers.

The Wilson case gage has been with us since 1938; if the reloader understands the Wilson case gage they understand what I am talking about and I have learned it is a mistake to assume a reloaders understands what he is reading and or hearing.

F. Guffey