PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Customer Service

Liam
11-13-2020, 09:45
Just had my first experience with RCBS customer service. I had heard good things, but never personally experienced. Some new Norma brass had extremely tight primer pockets, and I was having difficulty priming with Lee Hand Primer tool. When this happens I usually use the priming arm (optional) on my RC IV (Rock Chucker Supreme) to finish the seating process. Well, I must have been really banging on those primers because I bent the priming arm, the screw that holds the arm to the unit, and screwed up my large primer plunger/cup. Had no luck finding online by myself, so called RCBS out West. Despite admitting I had bent the items due to misuse on my part, they went ahead and mailed out all the parts with no cost to me at all. I have had that RC IV for about 12 years and was relieved to learn they still support it. With so much BS going one around me these days, it was refreshing to have received such stellar customer service. That's my story. Tip of my hat to them!

fguffey
11-13-2020, 12:55
RCBS Customer Service

It has been years; one day I told them my elephant stepped on it, the next time I called they did not ask about my elephant. I tried to blame my wife when one of my Rock Chucker presses came apart, I had to clean that story up like it was my wife that found the parts that fell out.

I have three Rock Chuckers, I have been told I am not a member of the In-Crowd unless I have Added a Forster Co-ax to the bench; and I wonder where the 2 Piggy Back 11 will go.

F. Guffey

Sunray
11-14-2020, 09:51
"...bent the priming arm..." The die wasn't set up correctly. Should be down just far enough for the decapping pin to pop the primer out. Said pin will break/bend fairly easily. RCBS will send you a package.
Sent 'em a letter, long ago, asking where I could get some pins in Canada. Took 'em about 3 weeks to send me a package of pins and a list of retailers. By mail. Been saying ever since that other manufacturers(like car makers) could learn a lot about customer service from the reloading industry.

Tuna
11-19-2020, 10:37
The days of RCBS taking care of broken parts for a life time are pretty much done now. Used to be if you messed up your dies they covered it no questioned asked. But once they started getting all their forgings from China that all changed. They will help you once with an item but after that you have to pay for it. I never had any problems with my Rock Crusher and that was from 50 years ago. Never heard of one breaking in two but since they have them made in China it happens more and more. RCBS always was a leading company. But that is changing fast now.

S.A. Boggs
11-19-2020, 01:30
Not RCBS related but Hornady. Had a part wear out after 50 years use and called to replace it, nice lady said it was under warranty and needed my address. Got the part in a few days with a n/c!:icon_lol:
Sam

JimF
11-19-2020, 01:51
. . . . . . I never had any problems with my Rock Crusher and that was from 50 years ago. Never heard of one breaking in two but since they have them made in China it happens more and more. RCBS always was a leading company. But that is changing fast now.

While I’m not sure of this, but the old, American-made Rock Chuckers had “line-bored“ holes down thru the die and ram bores (to guarantee straightness) the China-made, modern presses MAY NOT have this manufacturing precision.

Anyone have info on this?

tmark
11-19-2020, 06:05
I used my Lee hand depriming tool on berdan primed 06 cases and bent the tool. I told this to Lee knowing I had misused the tool. They sent me a new tool free of charge. RCBS and Lee are both user-friendly companies.

fguffey
11-25-2020, 09:04
While I’m not sure of this, but the old, American-made Rock Chuckers had “line-bored“ holes down thru the die and ram bores (to guarantee straightness) the China-made, modern presses MAY NOT have this manufacturing precision.

I have spent over 20 years trying to get reloaders to push their way back and away from the keyboard. I encouraged them to crawl under the reloading table to watch their Rock Chucker in action. Everything they thought they knew about the Rock Chucker came from the claims department.

F. Guffey

JOHN COOK
11-25-2020, 07:25
fguffey, its getting to the point no one can make a sensible statement or ask for a answer to a question without you replying in a smart a&& manner. I have read enough about your knowledge on headspace and gages , which you seem to think only you have the ability to explain. I would suggest maybe you should take your own advice and back away from the keyboard. JimF merely asked a simple question and you are off to the races. Get a life and try to be helpful in a manner members would appreciate your input.

John in SC

fguffey
11-25-2020, 09:28
john, jump in anytime; tell me how much cam over the Rock Chucker has. I can not remember when you were not wildly indignant about everything. One minute you are spouting hate on the top of the page and scripture on the bottom.

Euclasites: That would be the book of vanity it is written it is far better to receive the wrath of a wise man than the rhetoric of a fool.

The Rock Chucker does not cam over and it is not a bump press.

Read his post again: He starts with "I'm not sure..." and then ends with china made "the China-made modern presses MAY NOT HAVE THIS MANUFACTURING PRECISION".

After all of that he finishes with "Anyone have info om this?

And what do you know about the 'line-bore'? The Rock Chucker line-bore is most interesting. I hade a set of tools that would check the alignment; well anyhow I though it was most interesting.

F. Guffey

JOHN COOK
11-26-2020, 01:16
fguffey, maybe you should read my post again. I didn’t mention Rock Chucker, line-bore, cam over, bump press, alignment or the precision of the Rock Chucker. Your post supports what I originally said, any chance to run down someone or to pat yourself on the back about your knowledge.
Final comment, you are to educated for me to attempt to converse with you. You are the greatest!!!!

John in SC

fguffey
11-26-2020, 04:24
You are the greatest!!!!

Thank you.

F. Guffey

Parashooter
11-26-2020, 11:24
. . . Euclasites: That would be the book of vanity it is written it is far better to receive the wrath of a wise man than the rhetoric of a fool. . .

The Book of Ecclesiastes
1:2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
7:5 It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.
9:17 The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools.

If we must cite scripture, let's at least spell the book right. :eusa_wall:

JOHN COOK
11-27-2020, 10:05
Ecclesiastes. 9:17 The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fool..

Hmmm. Reminds me of somebody..

John in SC

fguffey
11-27-2020, 10:13
If we must cite scripture, let's at least spell the book right

1:2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

"saithe the preacher"

Normally I quote the page number instead of chapter and verse in an effort to get the reloader to get his hands out of his pockets.

John Cook continues to spout hate; I said "thank you". That was my short speech, I do not believe he would appreciate my long speech any more than he did my short speech but 'JIC' I am wrong I will try my long speech.

Thank you very much.

F. Guffey

fguffey
11-27-2020, 10:36
Back to line-bore, all presses are line board, for years and years I have said the RCBS Rock Chucker was not a cam over press, I have said the RC is not a bump press. No one has offered any proof the RC is a cam over press, they choose to spout hate, if the RC was a cam over press it would also be a bump press. It can not be one or the other.

Most of my work has been done on a Rock Chucker, when I use the RC I understand it jams up/lock up when the ram hits the bottom of its travel; that means nothing to anyone but when my ram hits the bottom the ram is kicked forward at the top and at the same time the ram is kicked back at the bottom. If the ram was in the line board part of the press that would be impossible.

I could ask; "what does this mean?" It means I would be wasting the reloaders time because they do not know.

F. Guffey

fguffey
11-30-2020, 08:37
Back to MY ROCK CHUCKERS: My RCs lock up and or jam up when the ram hits the top of its travel. No one members but in the beginning the misalignment was caused by the Chinese when they started making Rock Chuckers. All Rock Chucker rams are kicked forward at the top and rearward at the bottom when the ram is at the top if its travel. I understand there is no such thing as deductive reasoning in reloading.

I have suggested reloaders 'get to know your Rock Chucker'; that did not work because before they got to know the Rock Chucker they started telling me how wonderful the Forster is. The linkage on my Rock Chuckers goes into a bind when the toggle hits the linkage. The bind prevents cam over.

Before I started cussing the darkness: I installed a full length sizing die into the top of the press and a shell holder on the top of the ram and then started over. Before I eliminated the forward kick of the ram at the top and reward kick at the bottom I had to install a case into the shell holder before raising the ram.

The case aligned the ram of the press with the full length sizing die.

F. Guffey

bdm
12-01-2020, 12:01
RCBS and Dillon are good i had Lyman no more dropped the Lyman #55 Powder Measure broke the handle called them up to order new handle they would not sell me one said new laws because it measures powder can't sell it but can sell me a whole unit total BS