PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows What A "Soaker" Is?

togor
11-14-2020, 02:54
Watching Strange Brew, the 1983 Canadian film with my wife last night. At one point the Rick Moranis character, stuck in a filling beer vat, complained about having two soakers. We used that slang growing up (Milwaukee) so I got it but my Minnesota born wife had never heard it. And no, not talking about a hard rainstorm. I suspect the Canucks here will know, wondering how widespread the reference is.

Sunray
11-17-2020, 10:19
That'd be putting one's booted foot into a deep puddle or the like and getting the inside soaked. Lotta stuff Bob and Doug said doesn't apply to everywhere in Canada. For example, nobody says "oot and aboot'. That's a Scottish thing. Not everybody follows everything with 'Eh?' Or calls everybody a 'hoser' either.
Oh and the Merriam-Webster dictionary(that says a "soaker" is an alcoholic) is American. Isn't The Queen's English. snicker.

lyman
11-17-2020, 11:11
in my past profession a soaker is the small pad you put on the bottom of a tray of meat to soak up the blood/juices,

slang was maxipads

togor
11-17-2020, 05:57
As a kid, sinking a foot in a puddle, same as in some parts of Canada. Had not heard the term in a very long time!!

Mark in Ottawa
11-19-2020, 01:51
We used to use that term when I was growing up in Toronto to indicate that you had a wet foot from stepping into a pile of slush (very wet snow to those of you in the tropics). I don't think that I've heard the term in 30 years

rayg
11-20-2020, 03:05
Wasn't that what they called the water squirt guns that held a lot of water and put out a heavy stream of water..

kj47
11-20-2020, 09:34
If I remember right they were called super soakers.