PDA

View Full Version : Might have another one

S.A. Boggs
12-09-2020, 03:34
Stopped at the gun shop and they had just secured many older handguns and one caught my eye. A 4" S&W M28 almost identical to the one that I carried as a young deputy. This one had the small grips instead of the large ones mine had. I am going back in tomorrow and talk to the owner to see what kind of deal she will cut with me.
Sam

Gun Smoke
12-09-2020, 05:46
My brother has a couple of those with the 6" barrels. They normally come standard with the small (magna) grips. Many chose to install the target grips, trigger and hammers.

A fine weapon with a lot of "meat" between the chambers on the cylinder. They can handle quite a stout load.

My only complaint about any 357 with a 4" barrel or less is the noise. My ears just can't handle the sharp "crack" sound they produce. Ear protection isn't always available. I shoot 38 specials in them instead but that's just my 2 cents worth. I have several 2" snub 38 revolvers ranging up to the 357's. I just shoot the 38+P ammo in everything.

Gun Smoke
12-10-2020, 08:07
Keep us posted.

S.A. Boggs
12-10-2020, 09:19
Gun is a consignment and the price is $679.00 Not a bad looking weapon and I am still pondering on it.
Sam

Sunray
12-10-2020, 10:20
They're running between $695 and a grand on Gunsinternational. 9 grand for a "presentation" one with a shipping letter to General Hatcher. snicker.
Being on consignment may or may not give the dealer a bunch of wiggle room.
"N" frame grips can't be terribly hard to come by. Gunparts is showing mostly plastic though. It seems a lot depends on what frame shape it is. Round or square.
A net search for 'S&W N frame grips' turns up a lot of selection.

lyman
12-10-2020, 11:25
walk in a drop down 6 bills and see if they will bite,

the small grips are called Magna grips, (grips are the same size as the frame)

the Targets are the oversized,

I don't recall Smith ever making a Round Butt mod 28, I am fairly sure they did with the 29

Sunray
12-11-2020, 10:03
"...don't recall Smith ever..." Advertised as such on the assorted auction sites and forums. Most Smiths don't fit my hand no matter what grip I try. It's very sad. Had a 19 I never could get to fit right.

JB White
12-12-2020, 10:11
I use Pachmayer professionals on my k frames most often. Hogues on n frames. Every now and then I treat myself and order a pair of wood grips. 48551