PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting with the Krag

jon_norstog
12-20-2020, 01:03
Eastern Oregon is all controlled hunts. I drew a tag for the last hunt of the year, Thanksgiving week, in the Murderer's Creek unit, south of John Day, Oregon. I had gone and scouted the area in October and thought it looked good around Big Creek USFS campground south of Strawberry Mountain, right at 5,000 ft elevation. When I got there it was snowed up pretty good, but some other hunters had broken the snow on the road in! It was the day before the season opened when I set up camp. It was cold and clear, below zero at night but got up into the low teens during the day - beautiful weather, but too cold for the animals. They were not moving much at all.

My brother Paul came to join me right around dark the next day. It was too cold and dark for him to set up his wall tent so he slid in with me. He wasn’t quite prepared for sleeping on the ground below zero. He crawled into his bags fully clothed just after dark. I had energy left so I went out scouting in the moonlight … bright as day! When I got back a few hours later he was awake and shivering. I was triple bagged, so I gave him one of mine, a ten-pound Coleman Elk Hunter bag and he warmed up enough to sleep. I was still OK except for my butt.

48574 48575 4857648577

Paul stuck it out two nights, then suggested we move into a motel at John Day and commute. Got no argument from me. Everything was crazy there because of the virus. People were doing their best to comply with the state orders, even if they were not too happy about it. At least the heat was on in the motel.

We managed to find where the elk had gone but never got close enough for a shot. There wasn’t much sign of elk around Big Creek, so we decided to road hunt a bit. There was a tag end of USFS just north of the Bear Valley private rangeland that looked good to me – 4,600 ft but a south exposure and as it turned out a fair amount of browse. We drove on over a couple ridges into Murderers’ Creek and saw a lot of tracks there. Those two areas we hunted pretty hard. I managed to stir up a herd of 6-7 cows in the Bear Valley area. I saw them out in the open maybe 600 yards away. And me with my iron-sighted Krag! As I was walking back to the truck I heard a rifle shot, then nothing. Decided to give Bear Valley a rest.

Back to Murderers’ Creek. Tracks everywhere but no animals. The road petered out at someone’s inholding ranch, it was 4,200 ft. elevation and I think the animals were further downstream, no way to get there except over miles of trail. Back to Bear Valley the next day! After hunting the ridges in the morning we found fresh tracks, Paul suggested I follow them and lent me his scoped .35 Whelan. That cow (I think) really moved around but I kept getting closer and closer. I crested a ridge and found where she had rested a bit, then took off, trailing pellets of sign. She made a run for the border, onto private land and out of sight. That was Friday. The hunt continued another couple days but Paul had to go back to Idaho and get ready for his hunt, while I needed to go home, lighten my load, take care of business and then get up there to help him on that hunt. (We are both of an age where we shouldn’t be hunting alone in the mountains, especially in winter)

No animals were harmed in this hunt. Not for lack of trying though. It's a beautiful area, and off the beaten path, worth a visit in the summer.

togor
12-20-2020, 01:37
Love to hear about the bicycle.

jon_norstog
12-20-2020, 06:27
Love to hear about the bicycle.

I've been using a bicycle to get around/scout the last 10-12 years. You can pretty much cover the same amount of ground as on a 4-wheeler, plus some places that are blocked off. I roll my own ... this year the snow was too deep to make much use of the bike, and Paul didn't want to bother with it on the N. Idaho hunt.

Here is a link to that bike on my website https://www.thursdaybicycles.com/bicycle_frames/elk_hunter.html

jn

rayg
12-21-2020, 02:29
Speaking of sleeping in a sleeping bag with your clothes on. While in the Army in Germany on field maneuvers with the temp around freezing. The first night out I climbed into my sleeping bag with my clothing on minus the field jacket that was placed under the bag. Nice and warm and I sweated a bit at first and then when everything cooled and I shivered badly the rest of the night. Next night I just slept in my shorts and T shirt and was comfortable....A lesson learned

pcox
12-21-2020, 08:29
Speaking of sleeping in a sleeping bag with your clothes on. While in the Army in Germany on field maneuvers with the temp around freezing. The first night out I climbed into my sleeping bag with my clothing on minus the field jacket that was placed under the bag. Nice and warm and I sweated a bit at first and then when everything cooled and I shivered badly the rest of the night. Next night I just slept in my shorts and T shirt and was comfortable....A lesson learned

While in the arctic with the Army I spent a few nights out in a sleeping bag. We used two down insulated bags, one inside the other, with a canvas cover on the outside. You had to get down to your long johns to let your body heat out into the bag.

BudT
12-21-2020, 08:54
Even with not taking some elk meat home it sounds like you had a pretty good hunt. Learning new country is in my opinion always a good thing. I've tent camped in some pretty cold weather and learned to get on a cot with some kind of pad, sleeping bags are ok but for me it's all about a flannel liner and some wool blankets. I never go to bed with my cloths on while out in a cold camp you'll freeze your butt off, heating rocks to put into the foot of the bed helps a lot to, campfire anyone. Motels are the best, warm bed and a heater always beat out a cold tent LOL. I'm thinking a nice 7X14 tandem axle fully lined and vented cargo trailer set up to use a tent wood stove would be a good camping tool as well as a cargo trailer tool nothing like multi use things. Your bike could hang on the inside of the wall secure and bears have to work to get in, gives ya a chance to get the gun and talk them out of getting you salami and cheese. I've not shot anything since moving down to Twin and after my heart attack but I'm hopeful that one of these days I'll have enough confidence in going out alone again. Pig quail and dove hunting on the ranch in Calif. is looking better and better all the time. Ya'll take care and stay safe and warm.

bdm
12-21-2020, 11:39
WOW!!! Amazing thank you for posting beautiful pictures

Griff Murphey
12-25-2020, 06:59
WOW!!! Amazing thank you for posting beautiful pictures

Very fine pictures! That’s a real man’s hunt. Very good.

dryheat
12-25-2020, 09:02
A bicycle in the snow. Well, I never. Camping isn't for sissys. Of course, if it didn't suck a little it wasn't an adventure. The debate about wearing clothes in the sleeping bag:
My brother and I are totally different. He's tough, I'm a baby. He goes into is $15 fold over bag in his jockey shorts. He says, your body has to breathe and let the heat out to warm up the bag. Uh,huh. I put my mummy bag inside of the fold over bag; I wore the jocks all day, I not wearing them all night. I wear a t-shirt. And pj's. I might even put on a beany even though it's a mummy bag. Norstog, those are great pics.
I've camped once in the snow since I was 13. In the scouts we camped in the Alaskan snow. I got better at it.

jon_norstog
12-26-2020, 07:54
Camping in the snow: My own method for staying warm is to do a sponge bath in the evening - yeah, it's kind of cold - then put on a clean t-shirt and clean socks, plus the insulated underwear lowers I wore that day (i change them out every couple days) before crawling into bed. I have interlocking foam pads on the tent floor, the stuff grocery clerks stand on. I have an old square bag that I lay down as a pad. The square ten-pound bag goes over that and I put my mummy bag inside that. I sweaT at night (everyone does unless they are dead) and the moisture condenses in the ratted out bag I use as a pad. In the morning I turn the whole shebang over so the moisture trapped in the bottom bag can kind of evaporate.

That system keeps me warm and comfy and the bags don't get nasty and skunked out ... I've used that system on 3-week plus hunts in Idaho. The sponge bath isn't too bad if you can heat up a pot of water and get it done fast.

jn