PDA

View Full Version : Priming tools apparently made of "unobtainium"

Liam
02-05-2021, 04:05
I just got past a frustrating two weeks of trying to buy up the needed items to reload .357 Magnum. Brass is rare, bullets like hens' teeth, and powder!! I got what I needed, often at a premium, and prepped some brass today. After priming 50 shells with the Lee Auto Prime hand-held, I have now really bad pain in my hands - on the back of my left hand where I used it to assist my right hand in using the Lee primer in seating. I have used this priming tool for years. There is nothing wrong with it. The problem lies in me aging a tad. So, since I already have the collection of Lee Auto Prime shell holders, I tried to find the Lee bench-mounted primer tool. What do you know? The item that lists from $30 to $40 new is not to be had. No where I can find. All I can do is sign up to be emailed once back in stock. It is being auctioned on eBay and seems to be going for over $100 most of the time! Well, after reading several bad reviews outlining breakage of plastic parts that should have been metal parts, I looked elsewhere. Where I landed was the Forster Co-Ax unit for around $90 at Midway. It appears better-made, using metal parts, etc. And, most importantly, it is "AVAILABLE." It is worth the extra money to have a unit with some leverage, darn soon, when I need it. Will follow up with a report after usage.

togor
02-05-2021, 06:32
I have had good results with RCBS RAM priming unit....and see some on gunbroker for $52 or so, plus shipping. Slower but good depth control and easier on the hands.

lyman
02-05-2021, 06:39
i use the RCBS table top unit,
it uses the priming tubes,,,

works like a charm,

seems they have gotten pricey

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9460-Auto-Priming-Tool/dp/B000NOORXE

Roadkingtrax
02-05-2021, 08:40
I hand prime with my 21st Century unit.

Unfortunately it doesn't use a tray, but for now it's still very fast.

http://www.xxicsi.com/products-1.html

Major Tom
02-07-2021, 10:57
After priming several hundred cases using the Lee Bench Primer; I've not had a problem with anything breaking! I got mine when they first came out @ about $25.

nf1e
02-07-2021, 04:47
Don't have trouble with my hands yet. Primed many thousands of cases using the RCBS universal hand primers. I keep two set up on the bench. One for lg and one for sm.

bdm
02-08-2021, 11:49
I have this priming tool also the same one that lyman has had it for years works great

BlitzKrieg
02-11-2021, 08:23
i use the RCBS table top unit,
it uses the priming tubes,,,

works like a charm,

seems they have gotten pricey

I bought one of these back in the 80's and still use it. In 2008 , I notice the new version self loads the priming arm so , looking at the design, there must be a way to rebuild and upgrade my old one. I mailed my old unit back to RCBS, they retrofitted it to current model features and 13 years later, still enjoying use of this wonderful tool. If I were to buy today, I'd spend the money and get another.

jjrothWA
02-12-2021, 08:50
Before Christmas, was trying to locate a .40 S&W die set for buddy for reloading. finally located a set at a major sporting good shop in the Northern Lower Peninsula, drove there a week later and it was gone, was told to call during the week and might get a hold for seven day, got the the day later but placed on the floor. and gone.

Following Tuesday got a VM for floor manager and the set was on her desk and the purchaser change mind, made arraignment for telephone sales and now waiting delivery.

Liam
02-15-2021, 08:55
Set up the Forster primer unit. Mounted on small piece of wood so I can clamp it to my bench as needed, then put away when not in use. I primed 150 shells and experienced no fatigue or discomfort. The unit has three adjustable holders that can be moved to accommodate different size shells. I think this is going to be a welcome addition to my hand loading. The only negative thing I would report is that the two different sized tubes that hold the primers are a PITA to load. Slow and methodical approach is needed, whereas on the hand-held versions you simply dump primers in a tray and wiggle until they all face up. With this unit you must manually flip over any primers that aren't anvil-up. No huge deal.

lyman
02-15-2021, 09:40
I do the same, kinda, re the mounting the tools ,

I have my Co-Ax and Dillons mounted to my reloading bench, permanent but not permanent so to speak,

I have a very old Kitchen or Dining room type table located just beside the reloading bench that I use for various stuff, including reloading,

I drilled some mouting holes and put threaded cleates on the bottom to mount 2 single stage presses I use sometimes to take down reloaded ammo (I pick stuff up like that in estates) or just some prep work

and also have my RCBS and Dillon Swager mounted to a block of wood that I simply screw (dry wall type screws) to the table top to use,

I store them out of the way in a cabinet when done,

maybe one day I will need to put a new top on the table, but honestly, it will probably out last me, and it is older than I am