PDA

View Full Version : There's a shortage of washing machines?

dryheat
02-09-2021, 10:47
So, my good old, ten year old GE washer died this week. It's been squealing pretty loudly on the spin cycle. When I was younger I would have fixed that, but I'm old and I don't want to crawl around on the floor anymore. I checked prices and went to Best Buy and bought a new washer. The whole idea behind this is, they deliver and take away the old washer that still has 30lbs of water in it(for $25). OK, I don't hear so good anymore either and I heard the guy say, it will be delivered on the 16th. OK, eight days away. When I got home and checked my mail I see my confirmation of the sale and the delivery date is 3/16. That's not eight days away, it's five weeks away! Tomorrow I'm going to cancel the order(if I have to pay a restock fee fine) and buy a washer off of Craig's List.

lyman
02-10-2021, 06:13
most are imported now, IIRC

and between supplies (raw materials), employees (are they essential, or under cooties protocols) and demand, most appliances are supposedly in short supply,

I'll need a new dishwasher soon, but hoping this one will last till the summer,

if not, then I may become the Manual dishwasher for a bit

Mark in Ottawa
02-10-2021, 09:32
For what its worth, do not buy any appliance made by Samsung. I have two friends who scrapped fairly new Samsung refrigerators after only about three years. Turns out that not only do they fail quickly, they are very difficult to get serviced

dryheat
02-10-2021, 02:41
I looked at Samsung. It was fairly cheap. But it looks kind of weird and I couldn't get the drier for a few weeks. The guy at Best Buy told me Samsung is the only Chinese appliance. The rest are U.S. Covid is the big problem with deliveries. I got a total refund this morning on my BB appliances.

Correction: They are assembled in the US. Lots of parts come from China.

Major Tom
02-11-2021, 05:03
For what its worth, do not buy any appliance made by Samsung. I have two friends who scrapped fairly new Samsung refrigerators after only about three years. Turns out that not only do they fail quickly, they are very difficult to get serviced

#1 with that!

dryheat
02-11-2021, 08:18
When I was going to buy an ATV I checked some reviews. Lots of problems with no-name Chinese ATV's. If you buy one you better know how to turn a wrench.

JOHN COOK
02-11-2021, 09:29
There's a shortage of washing machines?

My washer died yesterday after 14 years (GE) ..Wife and I went to Lowe’s at 12.00 noon picked out a Whirlpool. Sales person said they will call Thursday and advise delivery time Friday. They called at 10:15 today and they will deliver Friday at 2:00 PM. They install and carry away old unit for $30.00. Cannot complain about this type of service... I didn’t see any shortage at this store. They had LG, SAMSUNG, GE, and WHIRLPOOL.. FWIW."......

JOHN IN SC

dryheat
02-11-2021, 11:57
Well, I went to the Large Store and bought a washer today. It will be here in six days. The lady told me things are starting to show up. Six months ago you couldn't find anything.