PDA

View Full Version : Electric Bill

Art
03-04-2021, 07:56
My electric contract was about to expire so it's time to negotiate a new deal. The best rates are year to year so that's pretty much the way we go on ours. Longer contracts protect against long term increases but are pricey enough to make them not worth while to us.

I was a bit apprehensive because of the power disaster here in Texas a bit back but was pleasantly surprised. My current company and I negotiated a deal for $.078 for the first 1,200 kwh and $.13 over 1,200 kwh. My old rate was $.085 for the first 1,200 kwh and $.118 over that. With my usage, under 1,400 kwh in the summer, plus a small loyalty rebate when I hit 1,200 kwh this comes to a pretty decent net rate cut.

We're good for another year, and, like I said, pleasantly surprised.

Sunray
03-04-2021, 10:03
Geez. Up here, we're told what the rate will be. Doesn't apply to us apartment dwellers. Even though municipal taxes etc have caused rents to sky rocket.
"...the first 1,200 kwh..." Your AC eat a lot of that in July? Just curious.

Johnny P
03-04-2021, 10:22
Our state has a Public Service Commission, and any rate increases (and rarely decreases) by the power companies must go before the PSC. Our last bill averaged out to 9.2 cents per kwh before taxes for 2331 kwh.

Art
03-04-2021, 10:28
Geez. Up here, we're told what the rate will be. Doesn't apply to us apartment dwellers. Even though municipal taxes etc have caused rents to sky rocket.
"...the first 1,200 kwh..." Your AC eat a lot of that in July? Just curious.

We have a gas kitchen and water heater, and furnace. Gas is dirt cheap and our bill seldom exceeds $45.00 and is under $30.00 in the summer. We have a very well insulated house (efficient a/c, double pane windows, extra attic insulation and all that,) as well as ceiling fans. We usually stay under 1,400 kwh in the summer with the A/C set on 77 day time and 74 at night - we're cheap but hate to sweat in the evening. We will pay the higher rate on no more than 200 kwh and get a $30.00 a month rebate on that.

When Texas de regulated and forced providers to compete for business it really helped with utility rates. Competition can be a beautiful thing. In the old days the public utilities poked your eyes out on rates and provided lousy customer service. Now they have to compete like everybody else.

Freedom contains the obligation to be responsible for your choices though, the people in Texas who are paying those $1,000.00 plus monthly rates after the freeze opted for plans tied to the wholesale spot price of energy. Any floating rate plan can be bad mojo if things go south on you. I personally would never take a floating or variable rate on anything, not a mortgage and not my electric bill.

Sunray
03-05-2021, 11:07
It's not 'cheap'. It's frugal.
My apartment is 80F all the time. Humidity is around 30%. That's drier than Death Valley. No controls in the unit.