PDA

View Full Version : Krag Parts Needed

bruce
04-16-2021, 07:25
Need a full length rifle stock for a 1899 rifle.

Failing that, I need a forend that I can use to repair my current stock.

Need hand guard for rifle using 1902 rear sight

Need the front barrel band/bayonet lug.

Please reply by PM with info on item available.

Pictures much appreciated.

Sincerely. bruce.

Parashooter
04-16-2021, 09:51
. . . front barrel band/bayonet lug. . .
Believe or not, there's a simpler term with some official status - "upper band".

bruce
04-17-2021, 06:20
Upper band! Makes sense. Sincerely. bruce.

Kragrifle
04-17-2021, 04:01
Tough to reassemble any antique firearm. Be careful you don’t spend more than the price of a good quality Krag.

Dick Hosmer
04-17-2021, 04:29
I refuse to to use the POS PM system - but, I may have a hand guard - will have to check.

JustJim
04-17-2021, 07:18
I'm not an "as-issued" Krag guy (though I do love my sporters), so I'm not certain of terminology/models. I have an 1898 (by the action marking) infantry rifle that due to some issues I may be parting out. Would parts from this one work for you?

bruce
04-30-2021, 06:30
Apologize for not having replied. Just now found your post. Fact is, just now got my computer going. I'm out of town in New Jersey at my daughter's house. Been spending a lot of time holding the new grandson. It will be at least Friday before I can get home. I'll be able to give you a better answer then. Right now I know I need a rifle stock for the full length infantry rifle. I need a front band. I need a hand guard that will work with a (I believe it is a ) 1902 rear sight. Sincerely. bruce.

JustJim
05-06-2021, 10:04
That works, I'm in no rush. Send me a note when you get back and I'll get some pics for you of what I have.

bruce
06-29-2021, 08:39
Well I done did it! I got me a nice full length rifle stock for my Krag. Now ... all I got to do is figure out which hand guard is correct for the rear sight ... and get my hands on a upper band. Dumb as it may sound to some, I just recently figured out that a Marbles marked front sight would not be USGI ... so I'll be on the look out for a front sight! Then, I guess I'll have to find a bayonet! After all, you never know when you might need to open a can of beans! Cartridge belt would be nice. Maybe one of those big brim hats one sees in the old paintings and photographs. Very happily it looks like this rifle may come together far sooner than I'd have thought. This is the first time I've worked with a rifle this old ... other than a GEW-88 that I had way back in about 1979/80. Just have always been fascinated with the older rifles.

butlersrangers
06-30-2021, 09:01
You should get a straight-forward reference book, like Joe Poyers, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", to guide you through your parts shopping and decision making.

The book will cost you less than $30. A mistake on parts will cost you more!

A lot of parts on ebay are from vendor(s), parting-out complete Krags, to maximize profits.
Kind of "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

IMHO - We can't restore Krags as fast as they are being destroyed.

A good provider of original (surplus) Krag parts is "Grandpa's Gunparts". He has an online catalog and also sells on ebay as 'Movieman630'.

Original and some reproduction Krag parts can be viewed and puchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. Their catalog can be viewed online.

bruce
07-01-2021, 04:59
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I have been enjoying 03 and 03-A3 rifles as well as K-98's for the last 40 years.

This is the first Krag I have ever actually owned.

Did not ever expect a receiver change in a rifle w/ such a short service life.

Sincerely. bruce.

butlersrangers
07-01-2021, 03:09
IMHO - The 'short service' of the Krag is a bit exaggerated.

Almost 1/2 million U.S. Krags were manufactured over a ten year period.

Krag rifles and carbines saw service with the U.S. Army from 1894, to around 1907-08.
Krag rifles were again used extensively from 1917-18, in WW-1 Training Camps.

The National Guard used Krags from around 1903 till 1913-14.

The Marines and Navy received Krags around 1900. It is rather vague as to when Krags completely disappeared from U.S. Navy ships.

There are actually three major Krag receiver types: model 1892, model 1896, and model 1898/1899

There are five major rear-sight types, with numerous sub-variations.

A Krag rifle has approximately 100 parts. The majority of those parts underwent several changes during the ten years of Krag production.

I have no desire to make the subject intimidating. Krags are very interesting. The more you learn, the more interesting they become.

bruce
07-18-2021, 11:57
I am profoundly shocked.

Recently I found and bought a full-length Krag rifle stock. In error, I bought a stock that is for the third revision of the receiver. Mine is a second revision w/ rifle length barrel. It was happily a drop in fit.

I had no problems installing the middle band but did note with concern that there was no spring retainer. I did not understand why there was hole for the spring retainer.

As I was removing the butt-plate to swap it over to the rifle stock, shock set in. Someone took this barreled receiver and installed it in a standard Krag carbine stock. They just didn't get around to cutting the barrel down to carbine length! Only just now have I realized that the butt swivel on the carbine stock is different from the one of the rifle stock.

Looks like I will need to find and buy a nice rear swivel for the rifle stock. And ... I'll need to buy a butt-plate and the two screws required since the large screw that holds the butt-plate onto the carbine stock is stuck fast. I cannot budge it. I don't want to risk damage to the screw. Oh well. Live and learn!

Happily I have the afternoon off since no activities are scheduled for this evening at church. Sincerely. bruce.

Parashooter
07-18-2021, 02:28
Something's odd here. Normal Krag carbine stocks do not have any sling swivels. If yours has one and it's different from the standard rifle swivel assembly, it's likely aftermarket.

Also, Krag rifle forearms do not use a band-spring. Instead there is a through-pin just ahead of the band, with one or both ends protruding just enough to keep the tightened band in place.

Dick Hosmer
07-19-2021, 09:52
I can help with the butt plate, but not the screws. Probably the butt swivel too, but might not be "nice" enough. I'll send you some pics in a couple of days.

Rifle lower bands clamp on and are prevented from moving forward by the little pin. Only carbines (and Cadet rifles) had band springs. No carbine stock originally had sling swivels - those found with them were done later, and if done at SA or another arsenal, the swivel used was that from the rifle, so there should be NO difference in the inletting.

butlersrangers
07-19-2021, 02:00
Lots of Hunters put 'after-market' sling-swivels on Krag carbine stocks.

Photos of your barreled/action and stocks would allow a better evaluation of what you have.

bruce
07-19-2021, 07:31
Good evening all! I feel like I did way back in 1979 when I found and bought a 1888 Mauser in the .318 rather than the .323 8mm bore size. Gun shot fine w/ domestic 8mm hunting ammo, but it was most certainly not set up for German 8mm S ball!

I am right now getting some things out for a staff meeting tomorrow in preparation for a board meeting Thursday. Will take pictures as I now have a good iPhone w/ camera, etc. Hopefully I can figure out the posting of pictures, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

bruce
08-16-2021, 07:18
It's me again! It's Monday and I've finally got a day off!!! Tending to some paper work. After lunch, want to do some pictures of the rifle. How does one put pictures up? I have a Mac. Cannot get Igmur to work. Suggestions? Flicker? Sincerely. bruce.

butlersrangers
08-16-2021, 08:45
If you have the pictures on your computer hard-drive, when you are typing your Reply, select "Go Advanced".

This will add icons that allow you to insert images as 'attachments'. Click on the Paper-Clip icon and you will be routed to 'file up-load manager'.

Follow instructions and you can upload photos to the Manager, organize the photos, and then attach them to your post.

It works good and is permanent with your post, unlike that off-site IMUR crap.