PDA

View Full Version : Some good news

S.A. Boggs
05-04-2021, 11:58
As noted before on goofy calls I answer "City Morgue" and in doing so our volume of calls has steadily declined to almost nothing. From being bombarded on what seems an hourly basis now to 2-3 per week. :banana100::banana100::hello:
Sam

Major Tom
05-05-2021, 06:24
Sam, I followed your advice and did the same thing! Same results too!

JB White
05-05-2021, 06:30
I simply stopped giving out my phone number and email Info. That curtailed most of the spam traffic. Since my services are bundled I kept a landline number but have no phone attached. The VM filled up and I haven't cleared it in years. Same with an old email address.

I still get some but not much. Only because I gave truthful information when donating blood. Every blood bank in the surrounding counties wants a pint of me now.

A long time ago I was getting annoying midnight hangup calls. After letting it ring a whileI answered "Area 2 homicide Anderson speaking". The next call I answered using a different voice, "Area 2 Smith" and they never called back.
Later in life when the spam calls started I faked an India type accent. Very quickly " Hello Dunkin Donuts how may I help you"
Had caller ID by then so I sort of knew when to do it and when not to. Sort of :)

lyman
05-05-2021, 07:17
I simply stopped giving out my phone number and email Info. That curtailed most of the spam traffic. Since my services are bundled I kept a landline number but have no phone attached. The VM filled up and I haven't cleared it in years. Same with an old email address.

I still get some but not much. Only because I gave truthful information when donating blood. Every blood bank in the surrounding counties wants a pint of me now.

A long time ago I was getting annoying midnight hangup calls. After letting it ring a whileI answered "Area 2 homicide Anderson speaking". The next call I answered using a different voice, "Area 2 Smith" and they never called back.
Later in life when the spam calls started I faked an India type accent. Very quickly " Hello Dunkin Donuts how may I help you"
Had caller ID by then so I sort of knew when to do it and when not to. Sort of :)

I used to get calls frequently from several people looking for Weezy,

guessing my landline was her's at on time, or a digit off,

after many many nights of getting 3-4 calls a night, I started messing with them,

as in ,

Sorry Weezy is tied up now, literally tied up on the floor
or Weezy is in the back of a squad car, she was arrested
or Weezy is busy servicing tonight client, can she call you back,

and even one night, I had had a few beers, told the caller Weezy was having a gangbang in the backyard and could not answer,,

each time, and they were often different callers, they just said OK and hung up

no idea who Weezy is or was, but she apparently was well known

oscars
05-05-2021, 07:52
I changed cell providers and got a new phone in June of 2020. Within a week, I got over a dozen junk calls.

tmark
05-05-2021, 05:29
I keep getting calls to extend my car's warranty. Trouble is, I got rid of that car years ago!!!!!

Mark in Ottawa
05-08-2021, 01:44
A number of years ago I was getting calls at 2:00 from a drunk asking for Wendy. I figured that Wendy might be a hooker and finally asked the guy what her last name was. He actually told me and I found that our phone numbers were one digit apart. The next time he called, I gave him her correct number and asked that he dial more carefully in future. Never got another call. Of course I still get calls claiming to be from the Microsoft Technical Office. The last time I got one, I asked the caller if his mother knew what he did for a living and whether she was proud that he spent his time calling up strangers in another country and trying to steal from them. For some reason he was really offended by my question

Former Cav
06-11-2021, 06:19
I used to answer in a gruff voice half shouting.
"Joes pool hall"
they'd say, is this a business or is this a pool hall"
I'd say yeah, do you want a table or don't you?
they'd hang up.

JohnMOhio
06-15-2021, 11:08
I have some fun with these people. My phone identifies when a call is out of my area code even if it shows the correct area code. Using different accents, I answer as Ian McGreagor at times, other times Lionel Pentagast, international fraud dept of Homeland Security. Other times, Hello, you have reached the Robbery Homicide division, all our lines are busy, please leave your name and phone number if you wish to report an incident or claim a reward. For those wanting to sell auto extended warrenties, I use those same lines and at times tell them I no longer can drive due to health reasons and the car was sold.
I think I will try that City Morgue line. Might ask them if they wish to make a future appointment for their autopsy.

S.A. Boggs
06-15-2021, 11:18
I have some fun with these people. My phone identifies when a call is out of my area code even if it shows the correct area code. Using different accents, I answer as Ian McGreagor at times, other times Lionel Pentagast, international fraud dept of Homeland Security. Other times, Hello, you have reached the Robbery Homicide division, all our lines are busy, please leave your name and phone number if you wish to report an incident or claim a reward. For those wanting to sell auto extended warrenties, I use those same lines and at times tell them I no longer can drive due to health reasons and the car was sold.
I think I will try that City Morgue line. Might ask them if they wish to make a future appointment for their autopsy.

After our conversation the other day I told my daughter about what you use and she said that it is a fantastic idea. However she is going to continue to use the City Morgue reply. Last night she used it and Samantha sounds very official and the results are comical. Apparently people don't want to talk to anyone in the morgue! One person asked if "Debbie" was there and I told them to wait and I will check the toe tag's. Next thing I got was a "click"!
Sam