lyman
05-20-2021, 01:12
Curious about them,

I have 3 at home,
older Gun Ho large box, both sides open,
vintage Pachmayr, odd brown leatherette covering, one sided

and a neat vintage wooden laminated case,

I also picked up what looks like a Gun Ho single sided in an estate last week,
It needed a good scrubbing, which I did carefully, but the vinyl (ish?) covering is peeling in a few spots,

any tips on how to re-adhere it?

Major Tom
05-21-2021, 06:42
I build all my display boxes using red oak, dense, cloth covered foam interior and brass hardware. I sometimes have boxes with a built in storage compartment with lid. I can use any color interior fabric available. The dense foam will hold the gun securely and the fabric will not cause a gun to rust or tarnish. I the largest box I built was for a Rufer 44 mag with 10 inch barrel, mounted scope and storage for 50 rounds of ammo. It requiered 2 clasps to securely keep it closed. Demand has been down for about a year now tho I still have 3 boxes available. It takes me about 3 weeks to make one as I do this in my spare time. I have sold about 3 dozen so far with no complaints. One guy wanted 2 more after he saw the 1st one I built for him. I am a retired Vietnam vet and build them in my shop by myself. Prices range from $50 (small box, no storage) to $200 for the one I built for the Ruger 44 mag. I do not charge sales tax, only shipping! My cost for materials is minimum $30.

S.A. Boggs
05-21-2021, 11:57
I build all my display boxes using red oak, dense, cloth covered foam interior and brass hardware. I sometimes have boxes with a built in storage compartment with lid. I can use any color interior fabric available. The dense foam will hold the gun securely and the fabric will not cause a gun to rust or tarnish. I the largest box I built was for a Rufer 44 mag with 10 inch barrel, mounted scope and storage for 50 rounds of ammo. It requiered 2 clasps to securely keep it closed. Demand has been down for about a year now tho I still have 3 boxes available. It takes me about 3 weeks to make one as I do this in my spare time. I have sold about 3 dozen so far with no complaints. One guy wanted 2 more after he saw the 1st one I built for him. I am a retired Vietnam vet and build them in my shop by myself. Prices range from $50 (small box, no storage) to $200 for the one I built for the Ruger 44 mag. I do not charge sales tax, only shipping! My cost for materials is minimum $30.

Pics?
Sam

lyman
05-21-2021, 02:16
I was thinking Bullseye type competition boxes,

they sound nice tho!!

Major Tom
05-22-2021, 04:38
At this time, I cannot post photos, no working printer.

JOHN COOK
05-22-2021, 08:30
Major Tom , those prices are well in line with today’s cost of building materials. I build jewelry box’s out of red oak and walnut. Labor and cost of materials you have to enjoy it because you aren’t making to much profit.

John in SC

Major Tom
05-27-2021, 04:52
I was thinking Bullseye type competition boxes,

they sound nice tho!!

What's a "bullseye" box?

- - - Updated - - -

Major Tom , those prices are well in line with today’s cost of building materials. I build jewelry box’s out of red oak and walnut. Labor and cost of materials you have to enjoy it because you aren’t making to much profit.

John in SC

Yes John, you are correct! I enjoy making them and get a small profit to buy more materials. I don't count my labor in the cost!

lyman
05-27-2021, 05:11
Bullseye box,

https://www.theshootersbox.com/assets/images/gun-ho-pistol-box-ghcse-4.jpg