PDA

View Full Version : How typical

barretcreek
06-01-2021, 09:58
Hiker who was attacked by a grizzly in Yellowstone has died in the hospital.

Park Service personnel in a group went to investigate the area were charged by the bear, which was shot at a range of approximately 20 yards.

Their advice? Carry spray. Do as I say. Hiker may had had spray.

S.A. Boggs
06-01-2021, 10:38
.44 Magnum easier to pack IMHO.
Sam

lyman
06-01-2021, 10:42
Sam

come on man!

you know you are supposed to carry a small 25auto,

easy to carry, and you use it to shoot your hiking partner in the knee , so they can't outrun the bear,

togor
06-01-2021, 11:43
Back in the 80's, with friends, enjoying that stretch where hot springs feed into the Gardiner river at the north end of the park. A grizzly was nearby, as was a ranger with a .44. Bear eventually went its own way, but yeah, "who's between me and the bear?" is definitely a thing.

Roadkingtrax
06-01-2021, 12:46
Sam

Please pleae please shoot a grizzly at Yellowstone.

Karon
06-01-2021, 02:51
.44 does the job effectively. One on the throat would cool it down.

Major Tom
06-02-2021, 04:14

Just where the hell is your mind to come up with stupid sh!t like this?

lyman
06-02-2021, 05:21
Just where the hell is your mind to come up with stupid sh!t like this?

from the post he quoted

JB White
06-02-2021, 06:20

Used to be you had an opposing viewpoint. Used to be i could see where you were coming from even though i often had to reach for it. Nowadays your postings just get more and more assinine than the previous.
Have to wonder if you have problems elsewhere in life. Seriously. I almost want to pity you, but that's not happening. It has come down to disrespect.
Be proud of that if you so choose. Ater all you earned it.

BudT
06-02-2021, 04:08
Bear spray=food seasoning, big gun=fatal leaditious.

dryheat
06-02-2021, 04:57
Those are million dollar bears.

togor
06-02-2021, 07:14
Their heads are low when they're charging so the idea with spray is put it low so it bounces up and they run into the pattern. Does it work? I hope I don't ever have to find out!

But I'd trust to spray on a charging bear sooner than a double action .44

togor
06-02-2021, 07:22
Good vid, practical no-nonsense info.

https://youtu.be/TZ5HJHZ8Mfw

S.A. Boggs
06-03-2021, 08:43
Their heads are low when they're charging so the idea with spray is put it low so it bounces up and they run into the pattern. Does it work? I hope I don't ever have to find out!

But I'd trust to spray on a charging bear sooner than a double action .44

How about trying out the spray and giving us a report.
Sam

fguffey
06-03-2021, 09:14
How about trying out the spray and giving us a report.

There was a man that traveled with President Teddy Roosevelt named Abernathy that carried on demonstrations on dealing with Wildlife in the wild. In one demonstration he fought a wolf bare handed. To most observers the routine looked doable until they were turned loose on the wolf. After that they were hollering for someone to get the wolf off of them.

I have had dogs that wanted to chew on people, me included so I tried the Abernathy method, about that; I will tell you he who hesitates is bit. It was about that time I was told I owned an Alabama leg dog. I sent the dog and my wife to obedience school. On the day of graduation I attended' it was about then the instructor informed me both of them failed. He did make me feel good about the dog, he said in all of his life he had never seen a dog like that one. And I wondered if the dog was responsible for her low score. I still laugh about the times she regretted taking both of us with her.

F. Guffey

S.A. Boggs
06-03-2021, 09:20
There was a man that traveled with President Teddy Roosevelt named Abernathy that carried on demonstrations on dealing with Wildlife in the wild. In one demonstration he fought a wolf bare handed. To most observers the routine looked doable until they were turned loose on the wolf. After that they were hollering for someone to get the wolf off of them.

I have had dogs that wanted to chew on people, me included so I tried the Abernathy method, about that; I will tell you he who hesitates is bit. It was about that time I was told I owned an Alabama leg dog. I sent the dog and my wife to obedience school. On the day of graduation I attended' it was about then the instructor informed me both of them failed. He did make me feel good about the dog, he said in all of his life he had never seen a dog like that one. And I wondered if the dog was responsible for her low score. I still laugh about the times she regretted taking both of us with her.

F. Guffey

Animals, including humans, sense fear and will attack. If you get a hype, spray has little deterrence same with calibers.
Sam