PDA

View Full Version : 45 Monoflex

BudT
07-12-2021, 04:51
Got these today for my Marlin 1895 CB 45-70. Should work for most anything and a lot more aerodynamic to boot for deer hogs elk and anything else that wants a couple. Like a bear wolf or lion. 250 gr all copper at over 2,000 fps should convince them to lay down for the dirt nap. I picked up a second set of RCBS 45-70 dies at a pawn shop this afternoon for 25 dollars a 3 dies set of like new but the older dies. I need to cut down the seat die to reach the crimp ring on the shorter cases that you have to make to use the MONOFLEX or FTX Hornady bullets. I can feed the FTX 325 gr. loads single shot until I cut down the new die then crimp for use. Next trip out testing those and some .32 Win Spl cast 180 gr Bear Creek Supply bullets in the 94 and some duplex 38-55 in another 94. I'll have to make another trip to test and re-zero the 6.5 CM BLR with the Barns LRX and TTSX bullets. Ain't it great.

barretcreek
07-13-2021, 11:33
duplex 38-55

??? Loads or a bullet cast from two different alloys?

BudT
07-13-2021, 01:16
Duplex in this case is a starter charge of 10% or less of a smokeless powder under a charge of (in this case) 2fg Kick BP with a cast bullet. HTH
Bud

lyman
07-14-2021, 06:05
curious on the duplex loads,,

is the plan to have the smokeless at the primer and the BP on top? and how do you manage that? (compressed loads??)

BudT
07-14-2021, 10:42
Lyman, yes the smokeless is at the primer end of the case and that's where you want it to stay then the BP on top and yes compressed. Even this 4 grains of smokeless really cleans up the BP crud. The Canucks that I have talked to are pretty willing to go up to 30% but I'm not that daring so I rarely would exceed 10% of the BP charge weight. I just shot some test 38-55 Win in my 94 this morning and at 25 yards shot very well in all parts of the test. I will now go up to the real 38-55 case (short ones) and load a bit more BP and smokeless to formula. I do not endorse or recommend anyone use my data or information in any reloading I do recommend working your own up for your own firearms. I'm sorry but I had to say that in case someone did something stupid, duplex loads are not recommended by anyone especially me. HTH
Bud